Converting pmd files

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Does anyone have a way of converting pmd(PiyoPiyo) to like mp3 or wav?

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Record through your sound card. If you can play it then you can convert it to mp3.

1. Open PiyoPiyoPlayer and open the pmd file with it.
2. Install and open Audacity.
3. Set the recording volume to 0.12, and playback volume to 1.00.
4. Set the recording device to stereo mix.
5. If stereo mix isn't under recording devices then let me know what brand of sound card you have and I'll tell you how to fix it.
6. Uncheck software playthough in recording preferences (assuming that it isn't already unchecked).
7. Lower the volume on your physical speakers to preserve your ears (since playback volume has been maxed).
8. Make sure that no sound is emanating from any other open programs before you proceed.
9. Press record in audacity and then press play in PiyoPiyoPlayer (in that order, it is recommended that you have both PiyoPiyoPlayer and Audacity's windows next to each other so that you can readily access the play/record/stop buttons on both without touching the taskbar).
10. When the audio you wish to record has played press stop in PiyoPiyoPlayer and then again in Audacity.
11. Check that the recording matches the volume of the original. If it doesn't then play hot and cold with recording volumes until you hit that sweet spot. If the recording volume is too high then those high notes will be cut off, so it is best to get the recording volume right once and just leave it that way, so that you only have to set the playback volume to 1.00 to record at that same volume for every org file you record.
12. Remove the empty sections at the start and end of the recording.
13. Select the last few seconds and apply a fade effect.
14. At this point you should export to a wav file and then convert that file to mp3 using your converter of choice.

Replace "PiyoPiyoPlayer" with your music player of choice, and "pmd" with your music format of choice to apply this method to just about anything.

Nov 25, 2016 at 1:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you so much

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Er, how do I find out what kind of sound card I have?
I can't help you with that, but the sound card that generally has stereo mix disabled by default is Realtek, so I'm going to assume that's what you have.

Try this and let me know how you do:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-enable-stereo-mix-for-Realtek-on-Windows-7/

..and here's the same thing except with text and screenshots instead of a video:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:31 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It always cuts off the first half-second-or-so of the audio with varying results. Is there any way to fix this? I finally got a good recording, but if I have to do a lot of this it's going to become a pain.
are you using audacity to record?

either way, just wait a few seconds before playing sound then.

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Start recording in audacity THEN press play in the player, not the other way around.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:36 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
First of all, I'm not using Audacity. Second of all, I did that. -.-
I FUCKING DID THAT.
I AM, IN FACT, FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS.

no need to shout at me, sorry

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Why are you yelling at us for not knowing things that you neglected to tell us. We aren't mind readers.

You never told us that you were using a different program, so we would assume that you were using Audacity, like what the instructions suggested, and since we couldn't reproduce your error in Audacity we could only assume human error on your part.

If you want to possibly resolve this issue then either:
1. Tell us what program you are using to record with so that we can reproduce the issue and give you advice specific to that program.
2. Use Audacity, because we do and we have never had this problem.

Last edited: