Community Project Dev Thread [DONE]

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Community Project Dev Thread

Yup. To fix that, he needs to swap instadeath for mapspikes.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:21 PM

As far as general review goes, I think you need to remember that the player is your friend, not your enemy. You want to entertain them, not frustrate them. That is, having the spikes directly under your entrance, having spiritdudes which hit you with spikes, having a save that kills you (really?) etc. are what I would call bad level design. Along those same lines, you have a lot of trial and error portions, which are similarly weak.

As far as good stuff goes, you have a lot of neat ideas. For one thing, I would like to see more done with the 'sleeping can change stuff' idea. I also really liked the spikesarechasingyouuuu section because it was fun.

So nice job so far, but keep working on it.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."

Lace said:
As far as general review goes, I think you need to remember that the player is your friend, not your enemy. You want to entertain them, not frustrate them. That is, having the spikes directly under your entrance, having spiritdudes which hit you with spikes, having a save that kills you (really?) etc. are what I would call bad level design. Along those same lines, you have a lot of trial and error portions, which are similarly weak.

As far as good stuff goes, you have a lot of neat ideas. For one thing, I would like to see more done with the 'sleeping can change stuff' idea. I also really liked the spikesarechasingyouuuu section because it was fun.

So nice job so far, but keep working on it.

I agree with this 100%. I hate it when there is so much trial and error.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:20 AM
Professional Whatever

Sorry, I had more important stuff to do.

404notfound said:
There is one glitch when running from the spikes, at one point part of the blocks disappear
to let you through, but there is a delay on them. So you reach the part and the blocks don't disappear until the spikes reach you( is this intended?)
*expects negative comment on my gaming skills*
Lace said:
Yup. To fix that, he needs to swap instadeath for mapspikes.
I fail to see the relationship between these posts. I don't think you guys are talking about the same part.
What 404 said is intentional - you're supposed to jump on top of the pillars, not run through them.

Dunc2403 said:
That's why I made certain tiles TURN INTO spikes, instead of having them start like that. (That and DT told me to.)
Uweh? When did I not do that? I don't recall any spikes starting off as spikes except for the beginning ones, and the ones in the third room at the small maze.

A little note, the signpost was hinting that the bed reset the jumping puzzle.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll fix my mod when I have time. Do you guys have any suggestions regarding the trial and error parts? I'm not sure how to fix those without ripping them out.

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:51 AM

LunarSoul said:
I fail to see the relationship between these posts.
Oh yup yup I din't really read his post thoroughly.

I was referring to if you fall out of the maze while it is still disapparating, you don't get hurt until it all disappears.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Professional Whatever

Okay, cool. I'll work on take 8 some more today, and hopefully finish fixing it for you guys.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:20 AM

Yep. Make the spikes visible.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM
Professional Whatever

Lace said:
Yep. Make the spikes visible.

Agreed. It will still maintain a good challenge with the invisible blocks anyway, and you don't want to screw the player over too much.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:35 AM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator

I think I've already done enough at making it possible to know where the spikes are. The whole point of the map was not being able to see anything, so making the spikes visible would defeat the point.
EDIT: I would also have to redo my whole map, because there are no spikes in the Store tileset, and I can't change tilesets.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:04 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."

Or you could just change another tile to act like a spike and put a message at the beggining that says "Beware Of _____".

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:17 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well this seems as good a place as any

This may or may not be a part of Take 8 depending on circumstance, but I need feedback for it anyway so
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42853625/Temp/Pyramid_0000.zip

It's somewhere between half and 3/4 finished. The misery fight is the last thing you can do.

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:44 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

I didn't really get the right/left thing, and Sue can get 'stuck' pretty easily in the Misery fight, but otherwise it's all good so far

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oh oops

I originally meant for the thing to have split paths with one focused on combat and one focused on platforming but I realized that wouldn't really work all that well based on how the pyramid is shaped so I scrapped it in favour of the first leg being combat and the second (unfinished) leg being platforming.

but I forgot to take the sign out

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

p140052-0-pyramidbug.png

Offscreen fun :p