Chocolate Sunday Demo

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM
"Huzzah!"
Chocolate Sunday is my new Cave Story mod for PC and PSP with a heavy focus on story, player choices, and exploration.

This demo covers the first 1\3 or so of the finished mod.
I hope you enjoy it. I also hope I managed to squash the worst of the bugs.

Dowload Demo 1.0 (Windows and PSP versions) - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8bbgkb0uhx2nl71

p167013-0-cspreview1.jpg

p167013-1-cspreview2.jpg

p167013-2-cspreview3.jpg

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Ooh! Looks interesting. I'll be sure to try it out!

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm still playing the mod and haven't finished it yet but I have to say that it's great. The story and the intro are great, even tho' both are not finished. It will be great if this mod focuses more on choices that you make on conversations rather than gameplay only. Keep up the good work.

Also, why did Jenka die?

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I got to the end. What happens when you take the teleporter in manticore enterprises? All it says is i made a poor decision, with no explanation, then ends.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
This is an amazing mod, you did us good. Now, teach the fellow modders who can't mod how to mod, so they can make a mod, in a mod, so you can enjoy a mod, while enjoying a mod.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM
"Huzzah!"
liammillay said:
I got to the end. What happens when you take the teleporter in manticore enterprises? All it says is i made a poor decision, with no explanation, then ends.
That's what happens when you discover you don't have clearance for some character art so you have to rewrite large chunks of the entro and demo ending days before release.

Think carefully about Chaba's instructions, think carefully about the destination of that teleporter, think very carefully about how shady these people are.

Then get out of Manticore Enterprises. You'll have to come back, but just leave.

I suppose people who mod this mod will find rather enlightening orphaned cutscenes and dialogue. Because I did cut a fair bit.

Anyway, glad some people like it. It's still a bit lacking in content and NPCs at the moment, but the mod has a LOT of content which isn't immediately apparent.

May 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM
LSD
"..."
Please finish this.
This mod has amazing potential, a great story thus far, and the ambiance is just spectacular.
I got to the ending with Misery and Balrog. I hope I did something right. I would LOVE to see more.

May 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I'll be honest here.

Something about this mod just...scares me. I'm not sure what.

Maybe it's the lack of music? The slightly off tone characters, in my not-at-all accurate opinion? The slightly creepy ambiance from all over? The odd vibes from the Gaudi? The general vibes I'm getting that everyone is dead and just don't know it? The sudden face-heel turn undergone by Misery and Balrog? The passiveness of Quote and nearly everyone else?

I don't know. This mod is just disturbing and I don't know why.

Please, disregard this post. You've done a good job on this mod, and I totally think you should continue it. However, I won't be following it...

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with me. This mod isn't supposed to be creepy at all...

May 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Polaris, I got a creepy feeling to it to. For reasons of it being really quiet and empty. That kinda creeps me out.

Oh yeah, fantastic mod. I loved how you showed the story commence. I can't wait for the next part. :D

May 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I thought I was the only one creeped out by the silence.

It's a great mod though, would definately want to see more

May 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM
"Huzzah!"
Well, I'm glad you liked it. There is a lot of stuff going on the background. It's somewhat influenced by the design of Majora's Mask. The lack of music was both a practical decision, since I was unhappy with the way Cave Story's music fit with the storyline, and also partly inspired by the ambiance of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

May 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin

Silence did make it feel...empty. But otherwise I thought it was great. IF there are multiple endings:
I got the ending with Misery & Balrog at manticore enterprises.
Even without combat... the mysterious and (slightly creepy) storyline kept me playing till the demo end. I'm guessing at one point you can get a weapon of some sorts (because with the 43/shootable blocks blocking certain paths). Maybe not in this demo though.

All I can say for improvement is at least SOME music (though I perfectly understand your point in having it fit the scenario), some more "<NOD"s where there are 4 lines or more of text, and maybe more cutscenes in the intro instead of blacked out dialogue (though it seemed you were thinking of doing this).

Happy to try it out again when you have the next part.

May 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM
"Huzzah!"
EnlightenedOne said:
Silence did make it feel...empty. But otherwise I thought it was great. IF there are multiple endings:
I got the ending with Misery & Balrog at manticore enterprises.

Even without combat... the mysterious and (slightly creepy) storyline kept me playing till the demo end. I'm guessing at one point you can get a weapon of some sorts (because with the 43/shootable blocks blocking certain paths). Maybe not in this demo though.

All I can say for improvement is at least SOME music (though I perfectly understand your point in having it fit the scenario), some more "<NOD"s where there are 4 lines or more of text, and maybe more cutscenes in the intro instead of blacked out dialogue (though it seemed you were thinking of doing this).

Happy to try it out again when you have the next part.
Yes, the mod will have multiple endings in the final version. There is a pistol in the demo, but it's a bit hidden. I'm going to try to fix the somewhat barren atmosphere with more NPCs. Music is trickier, but I'll do what I can.

Has anyone played the PSP version? I ask because the mod was primarily designed for the PSP and its screen dimensions.

May 12, 2013 at 3:05 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Black and white? At first I was checking my computer screen to see what was wrong. Other than that... Chocolate!!

May 12, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Ambient_Malice said:
There is a pistol in the demo, but it's a bit hidden.
There was one underwater route I decided not to experiment with because it looked like it took awhile to transverse... Why does life have to be so ironic?

May 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Played to the end of the demo where

you take the teleporter in Manticore Enterprises and have apparently made a bad decision.

Interesting what you've done so far AM. I like the black and white effect you did for past scenes, it's really good. The dialogue was decent, and I think you did a pretty good job of representing each of the characters. The only thing I might comment on is that I never considered the possibility that people addressed Curly by "Miss Brace" or "Miss Curly". My main complaint would have to be that the mod isn't very combat-intensive. I suppose that's simply the way this mod is made, and that's just my problem that I'm not keen on that, but I guess I'll just say that in my personal opinion that keeps the whole mood of the mod fairly calm and not real exciting. Another thing is that some areas could do with a bit of visual touching up. Some areas of maps have flatness that really could be helped by adding some roughness to make it look more natural. Anyway, here were some other things:

- When the research group greets Jack, I'll assume that's going to become an actual cutscene? I hope so.
- A lot of your entity events do not begin with <KEY commands, thus enabling me to jump up while I'm interacting with some NPCs. This includes, but is not (necessarily) limited to, doors on the island's surface, and Balrog.
- It appears that you plan on giving some characters facepics but haven't yet. One inconsistency though is that at the beginning Chaco has a blank image, but then when you go into the school she doesn't have one.
- When you enter through the already open Community Hall door that opened due to a cutscene, a door open sound plays anyway.
- "You mean Chei?" -Chaba
- If I talk to Chaba a second time, the whole conversation takes place over again.
- When I come into Booster's Lab after getting the note by him from Chaco, not only are there now two computers (one of them blank), but there's also no Kazuma anymore even though the brief chat with Kazuma still executes if you press down where he previously sat.
- "I think need to take a nap" Curly, after testing the Booster 2.1
- Even after I've talked to the boss, the other two Gaudis in Manticore Enterprises are still telling me to talk to the boss.
- Was it on purpose that these two blocks are not solid?
ChocolateSunday1_zps8b934b61.png

Out of curiosity, why is this mod called Chocolate Sunday?

May 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
Those two non-solid blocks are a bug.

Combat is problematic. I'm strongly against adding in combat for the sake of having it - I think it's poor game design. While the mod has a pistol, there's no use for it beyond shooting blocks at this point. If I can find a plot-related justification for killing something, I'll add it in.

The bad ending is heavily foreshadowed, but I guess I'll have to find a way to make it more obvious. Chaba told you not to accept anything from them. You use their teleporter without thinking carefully. The actual bad ending was hastily rewritten because I didn't have the rights to use a certain character face panel.

Why does Misery call Curly "Miss Brace?" I decided that it would reflect the somewhat cold and formal relationship between them. When I switched the main character from Quote to Curly, many of her scenes had already been written. Misery calling her "Curly" felt odd, so I settled for her "last name" of sorts.

I switched between <FAC0000 and <FAC0001 depending on whether that non-panelled character's event was mixed with proper face panels. If not, I tended to stick with <FAC0000.

"- "I think need to take a nap" Curly, after testing the Booster 2.1" - Could you explain what you mean by this?

I'll try to track down the missing <KEY events. Some of the bugs might have been introduced when I merged together some event jumps.

Kazuma's PC is supposed to display a different message in his absence. I switched some flags around so I could ensure he stayed in the graveyard with Sue until you've finished the test, and might have forgotten something.

The fact the Gaudi tell you to talk to the boss is intentional. They've nothing to say to you. So the only person who's gonna talk to you is the guy who may or may not be the boss.

Chocolate Sunday was my placeholder name for a long list of mods and test projects. Originally, it was intended for a Fallout 3 mod about vampires. Hence the themes, if you read between the lines.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make a patch as soon as I can, and maybe add a wee bit of extra content as an incentive to play the demo again.

May 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Ambient_Malice said:
The fact the Gaudi tell you to talk to the boss is intentional. They've nothing to say to you. So the only person who's gonna talk to you is the guy who may or may not be the boss.
May or may not be the boss? There is no reason the have that uncertainty...unless you are planning something.

Also, I don't have that much of a problem with no combat. The reason why many people will though... Is because of interactivity. I'm not saying everyone, but a considerable amount of people will get bored if they feel like they are just there to continue a story. Other devices such as puzzles, platforming/ parkour, and more choices other than selecting yes or no, will help fill the gap if you don't want combat.

I liked what you have done. Your good at this and it's very unique. My suggestion though is that you perhaps add more so that it won't MOSTLY be "go to this character or place because you have nothing else to shoot/do."

May 19, 2013 at 4:01 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ambient_Malice said:
Combat is problematic. I'm strongly against adding in combat for the sake of having it - I think it's poor game design. While the mod has a pistol, there's no use for it beyond shooting blocks at this point. If I can find a plot-related justification for killing something, I'll add it in.
I understand, just letting you know that that keeps it from being particularly interesting in my own personal opinion.

Ambient_Malice said:
Why does Misery call Curly "Miss Brace?" I decided that it would reflect the somewhat cold and formal relationship between them. When I switched the main character from Quote to Curly, many of her scenes had already been written. Misery calling her "Curly" felt odd, so I settled for her "last name" of sorts.
I understand what you're saying. She is formal, but for some reason calling her Miss Brace felt odd to me. I suppose I can't provide any good reason other than it just felt odd to me personally, so I won't try to sway you.

Ambient_Malice said:
"- "I think need to take a nap" Curly, after testing the Booster 2.1" - Could you explain what you mean by this?
Read that sentence carefully. "I think blank need to take a nap." The "blank" really is blank in the mod.

May 19, 2013 at 6:36 AM
"Huzzah!"
HaydenStudios said:
Read that sentence carefully. "I think blank need to take a nap." The "blank" really is blank in the mod.
Okay. Thanks for pointing out these bugs. I'll fix them when I get the time. And don't be afraid to point out stuff like Misery calling her "Miss Brace". I do listen to feedback. I'll look at how it fits when I go back and start adding in the later chapters of the mod.