Cavestory Classic Remastering

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So Ive been working on this for about a month, and it is still a work in progress.
However here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4w1HrVrk4HaWllnRFd1bjljUHc/view?usp=sharing
Helpful Criticism is much appreciated!

Edit: Thank you all for the feed back! I will try to find ways to remix to levels, as more of an experiment and will give it to specific individuals to help me test it out

And the levels floating the the air kind of look can be easily fixed if I were to add more detail to outer part of the level! "Colors have a great deal with making it a hit or miss" But I will certainly keep this in mind!

Hopefully one of you find one of many secrets I am working on. ;) "You can only access one so far"

I almost forgot to add that the whole life thing was entirely unintended I was using that "mess with things" but I will keep it regardless so it is much smoother to explore what I have done so far.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 7:15 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I gave you a lot of feedback in voice chat on discord but I'll echo it here to save people from repeating it again:

This is basically Cave Story again with another coat of paint; It's been done before and It's been done better; The graphics are really good however and what little level design you actually did like in the starting room is really nice and I like it.

Your skill with editing the vanilla assets are really good and I'm appreciative of the effort put in as well as the new background you did for the mimiga village and the reservoir.

I get that this is your first mod but I don't really think I want to play through cave story for the 100th time with slight variations; and this statement can be said for most of the forum members.
I would humbly suggest that you take your amazing assets and go make something new; new maps, and new story, and as much as it's been done and done and done again, something along the lines of a Cave story II would be nice to see with your good graphical edits and new art. I think people would certainly appreciate it more than just a repeat of CS with more glitter thrown on top of it.

E: I also gave a lot of feedback on the facepics and some of the tile inconsistencies, but I'm to lazy to echo it here and It would be almost redundant anyway.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:19 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm not sure if this is a dev demo or not, but I have 999 HP.
p360643-0-hwl2tj.png

Do you mean to release a different version of this?

E: This is even funnier when I get the first life capsule!
p360643-1-72geda.png

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:18 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
From what I've seen you've been trying to go for the same map style as CS Switch (No walls filled with the same pattern over and over again), but it rather looks like everything's hanging onto something or floating or something because it doesn't fade into the background. (Yes I suck at explaining I'm sorry)
I also agree with BLink, most of us have seen enough 'Cave Story, but different' mods enough by now, and it's hard to correctly pull off. A good idea would be to mess around with the layout of the original maps.
By the way, I don't really understand why 'classic' is in the name of this by the way. How much classic could you get with the original Cave Story?
Don't get me wrong by the way, it's a little start, and it shouldn't be way too hard to make this into something interesting- go wild!
Would be interested in seeing where you will go with this, really.