CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:51 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hmm..

It shouldn't, I'm using Vista after all and it works fine...
Did you make sure all the files are in the right place?
I believe the maps will only save if the Data folder is located in the same folder as the EXE you're editing.
And sometimes people have trouble if they leave the "Read Only" part checked on the Data folder stuff.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Sep 22, 2009 at 8:01 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It's a great tool, and I've been observing Cave Story as well as numerous mods through it to understand more the basics of modding. Incredible work, especially with the primitive built-in image editor! :(

Curious: why are there CE_TSC_Info(boots).txt and CE_TSC_Info.txt? The boots text contains data that are marked as question marks in Info, which is the text used in CaveEditor. If we could attach files to the forum, I could attach my revised CE_TSC_Info.txt (fixed grammatical errors, and incorporated most missing data from boots).

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:25 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Keron said:
It's a great tool, and I've been observing Cave Story as well as numerous mods through it to understand more the basics of modding. Incredible work, especially with the primitive built-in image editor! :(

Curious: why are there CE_TSC_Info(boots).txt and CE_TSC_Info.txt? The boots text contains data that are marked as question marks in Info, which is the text used in CaveEditor. If we could attach files to the forum, I could attach my revised CE_TSC_Info.txt (fixed grammatical errors, and incorporated most missing data from boots).

Ah.
CE_TSC_Info(boots).txt was my attempt at organizing the TSC commands.
:/
Along with including the newly-figured out commands <MPJ, <MP+ and a few others.
What grammar errors?

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:39 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Oh, just "Illistration" and "npc" (that is, capital "NPC" for the descriptions, not the acronym explanations).
It might be really neat if [CTRL] + F could be used in scripts, especially the larger ones.
add: Weapon editor: graphic offset - Vertial (Vertical?)

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM
"Huzzah!"
Well, heh. Been a while, as usual.

Anyhow, on a random whim I decided to check out the newest version of this guy, and I'm shocked and amazed -- in a good way, mind you -- at how far it's come! Weapon editing, undo, custom music support (no corruption!)... the list goes on. At any rate, it's inspired me to tinker around with Schism a bit more at the present, so kudos!

I do think I had at least one suggestion, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The big one I was going to bring up was the map-renaming bug, but then I realized that the version hosted on the Tribute Site is out of date... :D

Keep it up, I say!

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Xaser said:
The big one I was going to bring up was the map-renaming bug, but then I realized that the version hosted on the Tribute Site is out of date... ;)
Sorry... :(

It's fixed now.

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:25 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Wistil the hero

It's because Wistil updated Cave Editor left and right, for awhile.
andwhy just couldn't keep up ;)

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:26 PM
"Huzzah!"
@Andwhy: Ah, thanks for the update there. :D

Anyhow, I've messed with it a bit more -- still loving the map editor, I am -- and finally remember a couple of suggestion things I was going to give. They've most likely been mentioned before, chances are, though I'm going to play my lazy card and skip the other 42 pages. :)

The only real concerns I have are with entity editing, and both of them are more or less "leftovers" from being so used to Sue's.

* Sue's Workshop had short descriptions per entity on what the two "optional" flags do, though CE only shows "Option 1" and "Option 2". I've edited the game long enough to remember most of what these do, though I suppose this would be a terrible source of confusion for those who aren't fluent in "spelunking" (as I call Doukutsu Hacking :p )just yet. Is it possible to add an editable list of descriptions for the two options, for user-friendliness?

* No category view in the entity list. I kinda miss being able to sort all the entities by a certain type/location, instead of having to browse them all in one huge numerically-ordered list. The ability to at least (optionally) sort them alphabetically would be a vast improvement. All the Enemy and Boss types would at least be grouped together, in such a case.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes, when entity sprites are on, some of them seem to vanish at random spots. They show up in-game, mind you, but they refuse to display graphically for whatever reason. I can still edit them just fine, though, so it's no big loss.

Finally, CE_NPC.ini is somewhat difficult to edit because of the lack of line breaks.

Otherwise, it's more kickass than ever, I say! The map editor is spot-on, the extra features are incredibly useful (especially the built-in npc.tbl editor -- saves a LOT of hexing hassle), and tile-type view saves my ass every time. All else that's missing is copy/paste of map tiles, but I'm sure that one's too obvious for me to mention again. :p

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Keron said:
Oh, just "Illistration" and "npc" (that is, capital "NPC" for the descriptions, not the acronym explanations).
It might be really neat if [CTRL] + F could be used in scripts, especially the larger ones.
Indeed, find and replace would be an excellent thing to add. In fact, regex support would be even better - there's a Boost library that should be able to do most of the work for you if you wanted to implement it.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM
Been here way too long...
okay, can you explain to me why editing the exe with ce adds fluff to the exe?

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:47 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I think it's because he moves some stuff around to make things easier, or something?

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmmm

I tried editing a clean {Japanese, because I'm too lazy to download the complete deluxe set or apply a patch} version with CE and then compared it hex-wise with Translhextion on another, clean one, but didn't find any differences at all...
It said the data matched exactly.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Something must be wrong with your clean/edited version then lowell.....

It moves the map data just slightly ahead of where the old map data was, whereas SW adds it's new map data at the end (not consuming any new space).

Speaking of this, I'd like to know how wistil created the space for the new map data while keeping the calls intact, since i'd like to have some extra room for my assembly hacks. So what I'm asking is: Wistil, how did you create space for the map data without messing up calls/jumps?

It is also because of the calls that SW messes up with resource imports, since SW expects the map data to be at a certain offset, but bigger/smaller resources (at the end of the executable) moves it around and SW ends up corrupting the executable (or rather the game can no longer read the map data, I'm not sure).

But yeah if you could answer me that Wistil that would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Hoxtilicious
SW doesn't mess up the exe file, it just fails in reading map data.
As for the extra space: You have to add another section to the exe file. Look up "exe sections" in google. HTH

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM
HA!
a glitch I can actually record!

^_^

well, when you have ce in window mode, and you zoom in, you can't scroll all the way down or to the right side of a map.

it's terrible, this is why I use sues.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
That only happens about a quarter (eighth?) of the time, and to fix it all you gotta do is save the map, close window and open the map again.

It's not a big enough problem to put me off of CaveEditor. But, then again it wouldn't hurt to have a bugfix in the next version :p

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:25 AM
every time I use ce, it happens to me, so you can go shove that eight up your nose.
I'm sorry.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Hey for the next build can you make the sprite editing tool's 1 smaller? I'm trying to add more detail to it.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:32 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Mrm....new....

Sprite editing tool?
Why not just use some other program to edit the .PBMs?
Most of us just use Paint, which comes default with Windows. :p