CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't see how a selective undo could work. Since edits happening after the "undone" edit may be contingent on the undone edit.

Celtic Minstrel said:
Wistil, were you going to use an actual stack for undo? Or were you considering anyone else's suggestions for how to do it? I (obviously) think my (doubly-linked) list version is the best one, because it allows for effectively infinite undo and redo (unless arbitrary limits are imposed, which is probably advisable).
Right now the simplest way to do this is also the best way to do it too: simply take a snapshot of the map before every edit.
If you think about it, each tile takes up only 1 byte of space so storing the entire map in memory only takes width * height bytes to store. While storing a single specific tile takes 5 bytes (1 for the tile and 2 for the x coord and 2 for the y coord) which means that if more than 1/5 the map is changed by a command it would actually take more space to store the undo. Plus, it would take a lot longer to reset a set of tiles than it would to just replace them all whole sale.
The other option is keeping the original map and a list of all commands used on it and reprocess of the commands-1 for an undo but that would really take some time on a large map that you've done a lot to.
Entities are a little different since they're a bit more complicated.

Celtic Minstrel said:
I have my doubts about whether it would be possible to port this code at all. Even if it is, it would be very difficult, because anything that changes the executable would almost have to be rewritten.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Mac version of the editor. With all the offsets and save commands are in the general.cpp I think it would be a case of changing anything specific that needs to be changed for the MAc version to read it correctly but that may be naive since I really don't know anything about the Mac executable format.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:34 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Wistil said:
Right now the simplest way to do this is also the best way to do it too: simply take a snapshot of the map before every edit.
Well, apart from the fact that that means you can only undo things that affect the map...

Wistil said:
I was thinking more along the lines of a Mac version of the editor. With all the offsets and save commands are in the general.cpp I think it would be a case of changing anything specific that needs to be changed for the MAc version to read it correctly but that may be naive since I really don't know anything about the Mac executable format.
Mac's executable format is Mach-O. I don't really know anything about the format though.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:35 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Fresh Editor of The Cave

And now to start The Dark Platform from the beginning.
>_>
(I've actually been planning this for a while, but a recent Micro SD failure has led me to do this sooner.)
The reason for this post, is in fact, to actually express how awesome Cave Editor is.
In fact, it deserves a commemorative Bel-Air.
A-hem.

This is a story all about how
A tale of a cave got flip-turned upsidedown
I'd like to take a second, not a second more
To tell ya'll 'bout Cave Editor.
Over in Japan, born and raised
A man called Pixel spent most of his days
Chillin' out maxin', scriptin' all cool.
Writin' some code like nobody's fool.
After a couple of years,
To everyone's rave
The man produced a "Tale of the Cave"
After one play, everyone was hooked;
Despite the fact there was something overlooked.
Someone tried to mod, and soon it was clear:
This games format was something to fear.
Many had tried and many had failed
With many a project simply derailed.
After release number four or five
Wistl with a smile asked "Hey, mind if I drive?"
He took all the code and made it make sense
He made it all simple;
Just remember to save!
And thats why we have the Editor of the Cave.

Alright, so maybe not totally accurate, but w/e.
:p
(I gotta stop writing these. X_X)

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:44 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Aug 17, 2009 at 8:17 AM
Ohay.
I is just get this crazy idea!
What about... The option to edit the scripts that are called on death by drowning and lethal damage?
Ooooh!
And maybe some hawt tech in editing the post-core style cut scene jump where your drown but don't die.
You know, so you can set a flag that can save your life.
I'm probably explaining this very poorly, but I'm refering to the garglemesh at the end of Head.tsc that forces a jump is flag 4000 is set, so instead of drowning you experience the cut scene.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Alright... Fresh Prince style. I think Will Smith just shed a tear somewhere.

So yeah undo and redo were harder than I thought but an update is here. Undo and Redo commands are now available in the map editor.
They're still not in the script editor and no macros or list of options for commands like <CMU or <FAI yet.

Next time Gadget! Next time...

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:28 AM
I'm not entirely sure if the undo on the map is nessiscary. =/
I mean, with the 'brushes' you have, you can usually undo anything with one or two clicks.

And if Will Smith is crying, it's because he's discovered Woll Smoth.

However...
Behold, that I have found a(n easilly avoidable) glitch!
If the Tileset editing window is maximized (hence the easilly avoidable part), the tile-type selection will appear 90% off the screen for the far-most right tiles in the tile-type display side.
I'm not sure if this is important, but it does kinda bug me because I like to work on a "Big Picture" style set-up. (Hence my suckage at pixel-by-pixel spriting.)
But, uh... Yeah.

Also, your tile type PNG could use a legend or something. =/
I'm having a hard time picking out what symbol is what.
[/nitpickery]

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:55 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What about... The option to edit the scripts that are called on death by drowning and lethal damage?
eh... you can already do that.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:16 AM
Lace said:
eh... you can already do that.

Well, kinda.
Though it ALWAYS calls event 1100 on the current map.
And as far as I can tell, it HAS to be flag 4000.
=/

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:33 AM
I haven't had time to yet, but this little fragment at the end of head.tsc, really intrigues me, check it out, I think it might help you out a bit.
Code:
XX: head.tsc   4000 - 4099
4000:Almond…“ï

notice 4000 (teh flag) and almond (teh room). screw that up a bit and see wat happens.

editeet:
score! gravekeepah!

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:55 PM
Lace said:
I haven't had time to yet, but this little fragment at the end of head.tsc, really intrigues me, check it out, I think it might help you out a bit.
Code:
XX: head.tsc   4000 - 4099
4000:Almond…“ï

notice 4000 (teh flag) and almond (teh room). screw that up a bit and see wat happens.

editeet:
score! gravekeepah!

Yeah.
>_>
I know.
I did some experimenting.
You can change the map and get rid of the blurb after is (side note: it translates as "drowned"; at least on my comp with it's epic international language support).
HOWEVER, as I said.
It ALWAYS calls event 1100 and HAS TO BE flag 4000.
I've tested it. Extensively.

However, I wish to once again thank you Wistl.
Fear me, for mine shall be the first mod to use PNG images!

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:25 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I can't recall exactly what they are at the moment, but I think there are a few things that don't save when you hit the save in whatever box it is, but do save when you hit save in the main CE window. I know you said you were going to do a GUI tidy up later, but this might lead people into thinking there are bugs where none exist.

Sorry I can't remember what it was specifically, if I encounter it again, I'll post it here, but I think it was something in the NPC table editor.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hm

Here's an idea...
A new member {WhosTony} thought up something I thought CE could use...
Could we have a clip detector for portrait-ed messages in the script editor? {If they don't have a portrait, they'll clip themselves fine}
It could just be like a line or something in the script editor showing where the text would go off screen... {If a portrait was in use}
That would be really helpful for us lazy people. :o;

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM
Yeah I'm still around. I haven't gotten anything done lately though.
Many people from out of town have been visiting and I haven't really had the time.

There are many, many things to do.
@dooey100 I do know that when you hit save in any menu it only saves whatever it is you're working on and not the whole program.
For example, when saving a map it only saves the .pxm and .pxe files even though tileset changes are made in the exe.

Yeah the drowning event is a little bit of a pain but it will have to be looked at later.

I'm in the process of a major overhaul of the scripting editor to include drop down command options and helpful references like music and sound effect lists, portraits, maps and tilesets for appropriate commands. Its all pretty involved so I don't think I'll have anything to show before the end of the month though.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM
"..."
I can't wait for it to be done, may have the actually learn how to make new maps when I understand the programs more.

I learn fast, and can be confused just as fast...

Sep 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I see you added the ability to manipulate weapon data. However I'd recommend that you add the number of shots on screen as an editable, since it too is located in the .exe, and if you can edit damage values then this should be easy, right?

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:48 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Sigh, I know I'm gonna sound retarded but I tried out the Cave Editor and I run into a bit of a problem. The damn thing won't let me save my maps. I have no idea why, I'm using a brand new copy of cave story.

I'm also using Vista, would that interfere with anything?

Edit: When I save, it says "Error saving map data." I have no idea whats wrong, I even made a seperate file for CE and place a copy of CS in there.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:51 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmm..

It shouldn't, I'm using Vista after all and it works fine...
Did you make sure all the files are in the right place?
I believe the maps will only save if the Data folder is located in the same folder as the EXE you're editing.
And sometimes people have trouble if they leave the "Read Only" part checked on the Data folder stuff.