CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Nov 14, 2007 at 11:18 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wistil said:
S.P. - I'm not a fan of AIM myself but I've forgotten my ICQ#... It's been so long since I used it. Not since playing Total Annihilation (an RTS).

Sorry, but I'm better explaining things in "real time" rather than just posting in the forum D:
But if you wan't you can use one of my accounts.

Nov 15, 2007 at 8:42 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wistil said:
hmmm... That's odd.
Are you using a copy of Cave Story that's been modifed with Sue's Workshop? I haven't made any checks yet to see if the maps have been moved in the exe so if they have you'll get errors opening maps.

Yes. But it could also be due to me using .bmp extension for my files as well.

Edit - Yep, that was the problem, I fixed it though. Just renamed all the PBM's into BMP's in the Hex Editor.

Nov 15, 2007 at 11:53 PM
Hoxtilicious
After talking to Wistil he decided to name it Sue's Other Workshop.
That title is so damn funny.

Nov 16, 2007 at 12:30 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ahaha, that's kinda funny actually... XD.

Though, I still miss "Spelunker", but hey, I'm just weird like that.

/me wonders what Prof.Eich would say... ;P

Nov 16, 2007 at 4:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Another update!
Special thanks to SP for helping with some of the supplemental files (tile types and TSC updates). Details in first post. Now sleep....

EDIT: Oh yeah Editor has a name now "Sue's Other Workshop" hopefully it won't cause any problems.

Nov 16, 2007 at 4:21 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Don't know if this has been suggested but does Cave Story have no color limit on an image? If so then would it be possible to add the ability to add/subtract more colors from the palette in the editor? That'd be pretty useful...

Nov 16, 2007 at 4:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I.P. Freely said:
Don't know if this has been suggested but does Cave Story have no color limit on an image? If so then would it be possible to add the ability to add/subtract more colors from the palette in the editor? That'd be pretty useful...
Make an inbuilt version of fireworks' export wizard you mean? Yeah that would be cool. :D

Nov 16, 2007 at 5:20 AM
Hoxtilicious
O.o No!
Just make a function to make the palette bigger/smaller.

Nothing has todo with fireworks :x

Nov 16, 2007 at 6:45 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Actually, I think CaveEditor sounds nicer than Sue's Other Workshop, but hey, its just a name.

Also, you can't edit 24-Bitmap files with the Edit .pbm button., and you should change it to Edit .pbm/.bmp or Edit Image button.

Btw, a function to edit the Map System screent to show something else would be good too. =D

Nov 16, 2007 at 7:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
O.o No!
Just make a function to make the palette bigger/smaller.

Nothing has todo with fireworks :x
I'm just asking if it is like the export wizard option because it sure sounds like it, which is a good thing.
When you reduce the number of colours in an image does it choose the best palette to represent it's 24-bit brother?

Nov 16, 2007 at 12:00 PM
Hoxtilicious
Normally you shouldn't choose to reduce the colours if your image has more "used" colours.

Nov 16, 2007 at 2:17 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Normally you shouldn't choose to reduce the colours if your image has more "used" colours.
The roc alpha pic was reduced to 16 colours and it was still of great quality with a much lower file size and a lot less of those silly unused colours, it's what pixel did, else his game would be 10mb instead of 1.

It would be useful to have this as part of the editor since hardly any of you guys have macromedia fireworks, then again I could always reduce the filesize for you guys if you ask me. :D

I don't get rid of image quality, I just remove unused colours.

Nov 17, 2007 at 4:14 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
It seems npc.tbl can't be edited through this program if it is write protected, which I believe it is by default.

Nov 17, 2007 at 7:48 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
That's correct.

It actually can't edit anything if its set to read only. But if you're making a mod nothing should be right? I'll eventually add some checks to tell the user that the file is read only, but I'm not going to add functionality to change a file that is read only. Read only is there to protect files and I don't think I should be messing with it.

Nov 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This editor rocks! Only one thing though, and I don't know if it happens to other people, but when I was editing the start room script, I clicked save and it said that the script couldn't be found, slthough it was quite clearly able to be found after copy + pasting it into the script editor in Sue's Workshop.

Other than that, it seems to work great :D

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't seem to want to save anything. Might be due to me having to open it first with sues to get it to open with this, but how am I meant to get anything done if it's gonna mess around with meh...

EDIT EDIT: Just checked and it doesn't seem to want to work with ANYTHING that isn't modified O_o, it should work with a clean install of cave story deluxe right? Or am I missing something...

Nov 17, 2007 at 9:13 PM
If you're working from a clean install of Cave Story most files are set to read only. If they are my editor can't edit them. :D
You'll hav to remove the read only flag from the files first.

EDIT: Um... Actually it looks like a forgot to take out some debug code from before.... It actually doesn't save TSC files right now. Godd thing my latest update is just about complete.

Nov 17, 2007 at 10:37 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Aha, that'll be why. Now, back to editing this game :D

Once that update is complete and uploaded, I'll be glad I don't have to have Sues Workshop up all the time lol.

Nov 17, 2007 at 11:19 PM
New update available. This is going to be the last update for a little while. See first post for details.

Nov 18, 2007 at 12:18 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Wistil said:
If you're working from a clean install of Cave Story most files are set to read only. If they are my editor can't edit them. :D
You'll hav to remove the read only flag from the files first.

EDIT: Um... Actually it looks like a forgot to take out some debug code from before.... It actually doesn't save TSC files right now. Godd thing my latest update is just about complete.
Give a warning to say that the files are read-only and ask if they would like to remove the read-only to continue saving.

Nov 18, 2007 at 1:23 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This editor isn't compatible with SW, is it? I opened my mod with it and it doesn't show my new maps. :D

EDIT: Thought I had a way to get it to use my new maps but the 'add map' button doesn't work... Hm.

- keantoken