CaveEditor again (beta, maybe alpha)

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:38 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ooh yes, tabs would be real pretty.

Like me!
Okay, know you can read this bootsy cause you changed the color of all your doom text, I just didn't want it to make my post look ugly on my skin. anyways, its god becasue you used "a" it would be God if you used "the".

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lace said:
ooh yes, tabs would be real pretty.

Like me!

You deserve to have the web addresses of every shock site tatooed on your chest in black ink. Twice.
And then a top-ten with images on your back.
:confused:

I was thinking about the tabs idea...
If you made it so each map open in its own tab, and when you go to the map it displays the map and the script side by side. =/
Keep the map/tileset/background etc. lists though, I've come to love that layout.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM
You deserve to have the web addresses of every shock site tatooed on your chest in black ink. Twice.
And then a top-ten with images on your back.
:confused:
:D

also, the tabs should be for every thingy you have open, including pbms and script editors, not just the maps.
another idea, howsabout a text editor whatchamacallit, so you can write notes and stuff without switching to a whole nudder application.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Lace said:
:p

also, the tabs should be for every thingy you have open, including pbms and script editors, not just the maps.
another idea, howsabout a text editor whatchamacallit, so you can write notes and stuff without switching to a whole nudder application.

I would love a built-in note app. :D
Did my tagged command list idea get lost back there? o,,o
Also, not to add anything more to this glorious application, but the option to edit the number of bullets-per-screen would make a nice touch. :p

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM
yup. I have an even harder to implement idea in my skull at el momento, but it might just scare people.

anyways, although my borat mimicatation does not spread over the internet, I would have said, had you been here, very nice, high five.

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I kinda like the multiple windows, it works well with dual monitors. It would be nice to be able to open multiple maps/scripts without having to open 2 instances of CE, though.

Also, built in notes seems a bit excessive when notepad works fine, eh?

And, I'm curious why you didn't use the same transparent tile type overlay type of thing you used for the map editor as you did for the tileset editor? The tileset editor, is great as-is, but it seems like a lot more work when the transparent thing was already done. (Unless it wasn't done when you made the tileset editor?)

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:54 AM
I kinda like the multiple windows, it works well with dual monitors. It would be nice to be able to open multiple maps/scripts without having to open 2 instances of CE, though.
Personal preference, I guess, but I absolutely HATE it. hatehatehatehatehate. it scares me...

Also, built in notes seems a bit excessive when notepad works fine, eh?
couldn't the same thing be said about cave editor and sw in general? it works fine , sure, but this way it would be easier to use. (or at least, less clutterful)

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:54 AM
I just had 2 unexpected crashes in a row, first a buffer overrun when I tried to delete one entity that was on top of another, and a crash for no apparent reason when I had just clicked to edit the map, but before I released the button, a windows notification popped up. I don't know if thats what caused it, or if they just happened to happen at the same time, but its all I've got. I;

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM
Lace said:
couldn't the same thing be said about cave editor and sw in general? it works fine , sure, but this way it would be easier to use. (or at least, less clutterful)

Only if you think that making notes inside CE is significantly easier than doing the exact same thing in notepad instead. Sure, its possible to edits bitmaps with a hex editor, so no need for paint, right? Unless you mean having comments in TSC files, or notes that appear when you hover over a certain area of the map or something like that. That would be pretty cool, but TBH I don't think I'd use it much.

Also, if you have some spare cash, I highly recommend getting a second monitor, I can almost guarantee you will love it after an hour or two. If you don't have any spare cash, ask for it as a gift, like I did.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:00 AM
dooey100 said:
Also, if you have some spare cash, I highly recommend getting a second monitor, I can almost guarantee you will love it after an hour or two. If you don't have any spare cash, ask for it as a gift, like I did.

I'll drink to that.
I did that with my old laptop.
It was osm.
But to do it with this computer means a new video card... =/

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:05 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'm not sure I'm all that great of a programmer otherwise I'd be able to get all this "simple" stuff done in a week or two no problem. It's really a lot of trial and error but thanks. :p

Dooey I'll look into the crashing errors you're getting. I'm not sure what's up with the entity delete crash but the crash on map opening is probably related to the entity graphics.
I'll look into them and try to pin down the problem.

I've all ready looked at the command list that was mentioned earlier and it'll be pretty complicated to implement from my initial tests.

Yes yes tabs would be great. :p
I'm saving the GUI revamp until after I get the other functions in there. I may add the multiple map and script editor windows before then though. I'm looking at the Widget GUI tool mentioned earlier. Which may even allow for porting later but any major change to the GUI will require a huge overhaul of the majority of the code.
If you really want multiple scripts open at the same time you can use the stand alone program.

The note system sounds like an interesting idea when done as a set of messages on each map. I'm not sure how much use it would get.

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Fixed it!

It was a buffer overrun caused by a change to the popup menu used to select the entity you want.
No change in version number this time.

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM
Wistil said:
I'm not sure I'm all that great of a programmer otherwise I'd be able to get all this "simple" stuff done in a week or two no problem. It's really a lot of trial and error but thanks. :D

The mark of a good programmer is the willingness to admit he makes mistakes.
The mark of a great programmer is the willingness to fix them. :p
You, my good man, are the latter. XD

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Very true.
Some skill helps too though.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM
Wistil said:
Very true.
Some skill helps too though.

Unless you've got a +4 agility from a highground advantage. XD

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:11 PM
no comment.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM
HAX! :p

I just noticed another error which causes a crash when you mouse over the map editor window when no window has focus. Its been fixed and updated.:D

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Hooray!
Any possibility of this being made compatible with MSDos? XD
I kid.
:p

But really.
Wow.
This has come a long way.
It almost warrents a sappy commemorative PPS.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:09 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Lace said:
okay, got an idea for the undo stack, but it'll prolly be very hard to implement.
Basically, I think you should make a little box on the screen saying what your last actions have been, and you can right click on one of these and say undo action, which will undo the action (wow!) but not any actions after it. uh, yeah, as I sead, probably impossible, but it would be very, very nifty.
Not strictly impossible, but it would be very difficult when you consider that some of the later actions could have depended on that action in some way. A nearly trivial way to do this would be to have a way to undo up to and including that action, remove it from the list, and then redo everything else, but that would be rather time-consuming (ie it could potentially lag) and altogether is less than ideal.

Wistil, were you going to use an actual stack for undo? Or were you considering anyone else's suggestions for how to do it? I (obviously) think my (doubly-linked) list version is the best one, because it allows for effectively infinite undo and redo (unless arbitrary limits are imposed, which is probably advisable).

Wistil said:
Which may even allow for porting later.
I have my doubts about whether it would be possible to port this code at all. Even if it is, it would be very difficult, because anything that changes the executable would almost have to be rewritten.