Cave Story+

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
sirtophat said:
The challenges seriously aren't unlocked if I beat it on Easy? That's supreme bull. It would take me forever to beat Hell on Normal, it's enough on Easy as it is. This is just a dick move on the game's part.
but, the point of unlocks is that you have to do some actual work for them...?

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:52 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The game on easy is "actual work" for some people

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Okay. You realize that the whole point of the game is to be challenged while playing it? If you can finish it quickly and easily, you would cycle through games so fast you'd never have something to play. Challenge means you feel gratified after finishing it, not just beating it so you can go on to other things. Challenge is the whole point of video games (at least to me) and if you take that away, all you have is essentially a movie. Sure you press a few buttons to keep going, but without any challenge, its just shoot shoot shoot until you get to the next cutscene.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:08 PM
I do like video games to be challenging. Challenging to me might not be the same as to you. I think I'm just predisposed to be bad at the skills needed here, one being fast thinking. For example, if I have to make a decision fast in CS:S I usually end up shooting my team mates which is why I only play on servers with Friendly Fire turned off. It's a curse liking things you're bad at.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Actually, I unlocked the challenges in easy, I don't know what the problem is.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I fail to see what you are trying to highlight on >The Colons.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'm trying to think of how you would make an easy mode for Wind Fortress and Nemesis Challenge. I guess they could give you more health, but more health won't save you from bottomless pits and killer red spikes, which are the things that actually make those levels challenging.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:20 AM
I said that before having played it or seen it. I agree now, Easy mode as it is in the normal game wouldn't really do much since it's more about maneuvering terrain.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:02 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay, seriously. The greentexting has got to go.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:13 AM
Been here way too long...
I just got it and it is great fun!
With the possible exception of the title theme, I do like everything bunches so far!
It is surprising how much I remember, especially given that the last time I played was just before I joined.

I am sad that I don't really get to experience the difficulty curve again, because that was one of the things I liked the best (cave story was the first game of its type which I had played, so I started off real bad).

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM
The new graphics and music are great. The new font works very well. My only complaints are:
-Difficulty can't be changed mid-game
-No difficulty settings on Curly Story
-Can't use old graphics on Curly Story or Wind Fortress
-Fullscreen stretch is blurry
-New title theme music is too soft and needs to be harder

I appreciate Easy mode a lot. I can actually feel a measurable improvement while in it, instead of Normal where I just plateau and can never move forward at certain points.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
sirtophat said:
-Fullscreen stretch is blurry
Set the display mode to sharp under the in-game settings.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM
andwhyisit said:
Set the display mode to sharp under the in-game settings.

But then it doesn't fill the screen vertically.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM
Been here way too long...
You can't possibly have both, so make a choice!

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Lace said:
You can't possibly have both, so make a choice!
Actually there is a way.

This worked last time I checked:
1. Open the game in steam.
2. Set it to stretch mode in the ingame settings.
3. Close the game.
4. Find your Cave Story exe.
5. Right-click on the exe and select properties.
6. Set it to 640x480 compatability mode and hit ok.
7. Run the game again and you should have sharp graphics that fill your screen.

Note that some options will be missing from your in-game steam menu if you do this. This is because your steam menu will also be 640x480 and not everything in the in-game steam menu can fit in as a result.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:26 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Does anyone have a CS+ profile.dat (save) of before core, 41 health, no booster (oops) and solar pistol (no machine gun) ?

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Make it yourself with Save Edit and paste it into the CS+ Profile.dat with HxD at the appropriate place which you should be able to deduct easily

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
ok sorry to bring this up again but i have one last point to make.
sirtophat said:
I do like video games to be challenging. Challenging to me might not be the same as to you. I think I'm just predisposed to be bad at
the skills needed here, one being fast thinking.
the level and enemy layout in CS never changes; you're never forced to make fast decisions. in fact, you can examine what you did wrong the previous time, and make changes based on that. it took me a lot of trial and error to get through hell, most of it based on learning patterns in the game, and sharpening my skills/ ability to deal with certain situations.

i can understand if you were like "yeah platforming isn't my strong point" but fuck you make it sound like you're just bad at videogames in general and that everyone should lower the difficulty of their games to compensate, which would be fucking stupid.

e: you can probably get better at this, despite the fact that you're maybe not as great as everyone else. like every other thing in life, the skills you need to play videogames are a blend of your inherent skills, as well as practice. you just need to practice a bit more than, say, every other person on this forum.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM
sexplosive said:
ok sorry to bring this up again but i have one last point to make.

the level and enemy layout in CS never changes; you're never forced to make fast decisions. in fact, you can examine what you did wrong the previous time, and make changes based on that. it took me a lot of trial and error to get through hell, most of it based on learning patterns in the game, and sharpening my skills/ ability to deal with certain situations.

i can understand if you were like "yeah platforming isn't my strong point" but fuck you make it sound like you're just bad at videogames in general and that everyone should lower the difficulty of their games to compensate, which would be fucking stupid.

e: you can probably get better at this, despite the fact that you're maybe not as great as everyone else. like every other thing in life, the skills you need to play videogames are a blend of your inherent skills, as well as practice. you just need to practice a bit more than, say, every other person on this forum.

I was being a bit sore earlier, it's not really that bad. I didn't expect the difficulty of the game to be lowered. About the fast decisions, just being good at a level based on past experience is less valuable in my opinion than being able to perform well in new scenarios which is what I'm focusing on/have been improving, as in online FPS.