Cave Story+

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Some of the new translations are even more accurate (like the Bubbline and "Yrots Evac").
Don't forget about the scene in the warehouse. The WiiWare translation was proven to be more accurate (by you, I think).

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Would it not be Yrot Sevac?

Because Dokutsu Monogatari -> Ritagano Motsukudo (Litagano Motscoud), not Ritaganomo Tsukudo.
Or perhaps AG just messed that up toooo

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:54 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
Would it not be Yrot Sevac?

Because Dokutsu Monogatari -> Ritagano Motsukudo (Litagano Motscoud), not Ritaganomo Tsukudo.
Or perhaps AG just messed that up toooo

There are no spaces in japanese, so it was originally "RITAGANOMOTSUKUUDO". They just didn't catch what it was at the time.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:57 PM
I see!
So why did AG decide to split it where they did?

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
I see!
So why did AG decide to split it where they did?

They were just trying to make sense out of what is essentially gibberish, if you didn't see that it was Cave Story backwards. Can't blame them for trying.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM
"..."
Hi yall. So I hear console cave story used my boss rush, and that is cool. On 3/20/09 I sent this email to team nicolis, this is it copy pasted from my email.

Firstly Cave Story is a magical game, It's got a place in my heart next to Mario 3 the first game I ever really loved. Thank you for getting it out on a "real" platform so more people can remember why they love video games. Truely, thank you.

Now, I'm sorry if you don't want to read this email... I imagine there have been a lot of CS modders who have emailed your company with the hopes that you'll include a level editor (or maybe even there own unfinished mods) as future dlc. Surley that would get annoying, especialy if you like me love CS so much that you actually take the time to play every mod you can find. So right off the bat thats not what this email is about.

I just read an article that mentions a boss rush mode as future DLC and I wanted to share what I've learned making the same thing as a mod. Cave Story is a really simple game, great but simple in design. And because of it's greatness people are compelled to keep playing it and trying new things. Since it's so great and shorter then alot of games more people are going to try and squeeze more out of the game, and this can means challenges. There have been some obscure challenges but the two most obvious challenges are low hp, or minimum weaponry (or both at the same time). I hope you'll consider this for a boss rush mode, espcialy if there is a leaderboard that tracks the best times. Letting the player choose what weapons to use between the bosses in accordance with when its possible to aquire them in the real game would be very important for CS's simple style.

Thank you for taking the time to consider what's on my mind. I assure you that I CAN'T WAIT to buy Cave Story for all my friends who own wii's :droll:
Attached is a Cave Story boss rush mod. Please enjoy it when you should be working lol.

And attached was boss rush.

As far as I know I never recieved any response from any one.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
For something completely different: big red screen during menus and teleporter selection. I don't remember that in any other version and it seems pretty jarring.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
seren said:
For something completely different: big red screen during menus and teleporter selection. I don't remember that in any other version and it seems pretty jarring.

Maybe that's a bug. Post a screeny?

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
seren said:

I believe it only shows up in "stretch" mode and not "sharp". It was a reported bug but I guess they never got around to fixing it.
cs_display_glitch.png

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:45 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Noxid said:
I believe it only shows up in "stretch" mode and not "sharp". It was a reported bug but I guess they never got around to fixing it.

*bashes head against wall*

Wouldn't be the only one but I digress

I never noticed it in beta and I always used stretch.

I thought it may have been added to offer some distinction when the menu was pulled up but bled into the teleport location selection screen as well.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
SeriousFace said:
Hi yall. So I hear console cave story used my boss rush, and that is cool. On 3/20/09 I sent this email to team nicolis, this is it copy pasted from my email.

Firstly Cave Story is a magical game, It's got a place in my heart next to Mario 3 the first game I ever really loved. Thank you for getting it out on a "real" platform so more people can remember why they love video games. Truely, thank you.

Now, I'm sorry if you don't want to read this email... I imagine there have been a lot of CS modders who have emailed your company with the hopes that you'll include a level editor (or maybe even there own unfinished mods) as future dlc. Surley that would get annoying, especialy if you like me love CS so much that you actually take the time to play every mod you can find. So right off the bat thats not what this email is about.

I just read an article that mentions a boss rush mode as future DLC and I wanted to share what I've learned making the same thing as a mod. Cave Story is a really simple game, great but simple in design. And because of it's greatness people are compelled to keep playing it and trying new things. Since it's so great and shorter then alot of games more people are going to try and squeeze more out of the game, and this can means challenges. There have been some obscure challenges but the two most obvious challenges are low hp, or minimum weaponry (or both at the same time). I hope you'll consider this for a boss rush mode, espcialy if there is a leaderboard that tracks the best times. Letting the player choose what weapons to use between the bosses in accordance with when its possible to aquire them in the real game would be very important for CS's simple style.

Thank you for taking the time to consider what's on my mind. I assure you that I CAN'T WAIT to buy Cave Story for all my friends who own wii's :droll:
Attached is a Cave Story boss rush mod. Please enjoy it when you should be working lol.

And attached was boss rush.

As far as I know I never recieved any response from any one.
This should probably be told to that idiot on the other forum.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM
"Huzzah!"
Some people gave files of the Fan Translation to use on CSPlus as a mod, simply as a copy paste from the original.

Here i made some cleaning and editing nothing special.
ATTENTION THIS IS MEANT TO REPLACE THE BASE FILES
it doesn't count as a mod, so back-up your files first.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c40lwjs223oah1k

just paste it on the Cave Story Plus folder and overwrite the files.

I removed the = from the dialog which Plus don't recognize.
And now Grasstown and Sacred Ground show the intended name when you enter on these areas.

This was a quick job so i might have missed something, but i think everythings ok, any problem pm me please.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:23 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Does Plus have some kind of filesize limit regarding playing .ogg files? I'm trying to port over the CS3D soundtrack and it seems like anything over 1,000KB makes the game crash on launch.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
BoringToaster said:
Does Plus have some kind of filesize limit regarding playing .ogg files? I'm trying to port over the CS3D soundtrack and it seems like anything over 1,000KB makes the game crash on launch.

Make sure you got the bitrates the same.

Also, the songs won't loop properly unless the timing is EXACTLY the same as the new soundtrack (I'm assuming, anyway. Never worked with OGG).

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Phew, glad to see all that stuff about Nicalis stealing mods cleared up within a couple of pages. Seems like someone just trying to stir up drama.

Cave Story said:
Remember, it is already out on the Mac App Store. If you're on a PC, there shouldn't be a reason why Steam is an issue.

Sorry about my previous reply being so rude, I was between night shifts and I guess I must have been feeling really edgy at the time.

I didn't come here for a debate about DRM or Steam, I just wanted to know if it there was any mention of it coming out anywhere else. A simply 'no idea' would have sufficed. =)

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:48 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Unrelated to recent discussion, but I was wondering about the desktop icon for the game. For me, it's just one of those generic Windows program icons, and I was curious if it was different for anyone else. It's been that way since the beginning of beta testing, but I just assumed that a specific icon hadn't been created or implemented yet.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:19 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
emayer said:
Unrelated to recent discussion, but I was wondering about the desktop icon for the game. For me, it's just one of those generic Windows program icons, and I was curious if it was different for anyone else. It's been that way since the beginning of beta testing, but I just assumed that a specific icon hadn't been created or implemented yet.

A bunch of Steam games are that way. I dunno why.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:21 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
For me, it's a x2 res version of the regular CS desktop icon.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:27 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
emayer said:

Icon caching
It may change in time, else you'll have to manually delete the icon cache

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I must say I also prefer the old music... MIDI just doesn't sound as good to me.

Now there was something I enjoyed in the trailer though, at 00:45 or so, a techno remix of the Last Cave.

Does anyone know the source of it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkdtvyDj28&t=0m45s

I didn't hear it in-game or in my game files :droll:

gdfsgdfg said:

Awesome. It's funny I thought how Valve could've done promo items for Scout related to CS for those who bought Cave Story+ and someone actually did it! Now if only it could become official...