Cave Story+

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
A question~!

Does Cave Story+ have some new portrait art, that isn't available for the Wii?
I have pictures of the old Wii portrait art, and it's different from CS+...

Or did the Wii art get updated sometime after its initial release with updated art?

And lastly... does CS3D use the same portrait art as CS+?

:D Thannnnnnnnk you :D

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:03 PM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
cultr1 said:
Spoiler alert:
They're clones of Curly; she's being held in a cloning machine, and Quote goes to Wind Fortress to save her.

I've played through and what not, so I'm not speculating, that's just what happened D:

But who has cloned her?
Booster?

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM
Indie game enthusiast
Mixer8421 said:
But who has cloned her?
Booster?

It doesn't say who cloned Curly.

If we take Wind Fortress as canon and not a mini-game like Boss Rush...
Wind Fortress is located at the bottom of the island; it appears as though even the bottom of the island once had an lookout/palace or something (guarded by Gaudi no less?!)...

Above that, the actual Wind Fortress looks like something possibly newer, but still in ruins. That's the area you first see a Curly clone. Equipped with machineguns and some kind of projecticle weapon, they pack a punch!

And above that, in the heart of mod, there's some kind of weird lab. Full of pods of Curly clones. (btw all clones have red eyes, while Curly has blue)
They seem pretty helpless when they first awaken from the pod, crawling out towards you... Kinda makes you feel bad to shoot them ><

They all appear to be naked too lol, and they aren't cloned with guns. Only the clones in Wind Fortress had them.

Past the pods there is a strange machine..... with Curly inside. It's a machine with a giant display with a big W and a circle on it!
From there a bunch of clones will attack you, and for each one that you kill; two will take its place! So, it's easy to become over-run....

Who made it? Hmmm.... Curly doesn't know when she wakes up, and Quote of course is as talkative as normal. I didn't see any insignia's on the machine...

Is it okay to post a picture of the machine?

If I were to speculate ... it doesn't look like technology from the island. Meaning it's probably a machine from the surface.

Is it from those who created Quote and Curly? Or perhaps more likely, some enemy of those who created Quote and Curly? ... Or is it a relic of the past? From the War for instance? A robot cloning machine running haywire? Or is there an intelligent force at work?

Did Curly just climb in, and take a nap? Was she lured in? Or was she kidnapped and put into the machine? Hmmm......

In the end, I imagine Wind Fortress isn't really canon, as it doesn't take itself very seriously. There's practically no plot, or text. It's just a fun teaser/mod made by Pixel.
However, it could be like a trailer/demo or an idea for an entirely new game. Even if he doesn't make it; you could take it as inspiration to craft a whole new game around some of those ideas. A Cave Story 2 beta? :orangebell:

Personally, I like to think the machine itself is pulling the strings. A giant intelligent computer (network?) AI is up to no good...

EDIT : Most importantly, what does G in G-CLONE stand for??

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Indie game enthusiast
One of the most random screenshots. ...
2011-11-16_00030.jpg

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:50 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
X-Calibar said:
A question~!

Does Cave Story+ have some new portrait art, that isn't available for the Wii?
I have pictures of the old Wii portrait art, and it's different from CS+...
No, it's the same as the updated WiiWare portrait artwork

X-Calibar said:
Or did the Wii art get updated sometime after its initial release with updated art?
Yes, this.

X-Calibar said:
And lastly... does CS3D use the same portrait art as CS+?
No, different.

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Indie game enthusiast
domo domo :)

I hadn't seen the updated art, it's nice!

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Great job! :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
My favorite CS trailer by far.
Maybe this will finally convince my friend to get the game.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do you download it for windows 7?

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Use Steam.
And I get the feeling that you don't know what Steam is.
Google it.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It's eight bucks.
Don't beg for an eight godamn dollar game.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
BoringToaster said:
It's eight bucks.
Well i cannot buy steam games if I don't have a credit card :V + begging got half of my games on my main steam account and ur the 10014th person to tell me that

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
BoringToaster said:
It's eight bucks.
I would rather say "Stop complaining."
3DS games are $40
Wii games are $50
PS3 games are $60
Entire consoles are worth hundreds of dollars

That is one of my greatest pet peeves right now.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:03 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Also, has anyone had the PC copy for long enough to figure out how to mod it? I long for the day when unrestricted 2xres modding becomes commonplce.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:10 AM
Pirate Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Eh hopefully it may get in a humble bundle or indie royale bundle :l

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I've been trying to beat Nemesis Challenge for the past two days and I'm practically tearing my hair out. It's like, I get stuck on one part, try it enough times to memorize it and work out a strategy, only for something else to give me fits just a few seconds later. Right now I've managed to get to a complicated fan area in the Vents, where there's wind blowing in practically every direction and there are spikes on both the floor and ceiling. I looked at the map and it looks like I'm close to the end of this area. And this has to be the last area, right? ...Right?

I do appreciate the challenge, though. I imagine I'll feel pretty good about myself when (if) I beat the level. Through playing it so many times now, I think I have a pretty good speed run going for the parts I've gotten down already.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
emayer said:
I've been trying to beat Nemesis Challenge for the past two days and I'm practically tearing my hair out. It's like, I get stuck on one part, try it enough times to memorize it and work out a strategy, only for something else to give me fits just a few seconds later. Right now I've managed to get to a complicated fan area in the Vents, where there's wind blowing in practically every direction and there are spikes on both the floor and ceiling. I looked at the map and it looks like I'm close to the end of this area. And this has to be the last area, right? ...Right?

I do appreciate the challenge, though. I imagine I'll feel pretty good about myself when (if) I beat the level. Through playing it so many times now, I think I have a pretty good speed run going for the parts I've gotten down already.

I'll just put this here:
p137058-0-nemychallenge2381.png

And yeah the level was hard as hell to beat. But it was definitely a challenge.

Also I don't know why it's called outer wall 2, shouldn't it be Nemesis Challenge?

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:10 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I know some people like the original translation better than the new one, so I spent my afternoon doing this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KR1AMHRO

Just stick the "original" folder in either "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\data" or "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\cave story+\data".

Then, open "mods.txt" in this folder and put this line at the very bottom:
06 R+ P01 /original/mod/

If you want to play with the new graphics, just do a search for "bmp" in that folder and delete all of them.