Cave Story Z

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
One day, about two months ago, I though of an idea. An idea so insane, so impossible, that it just had to be done. Cave Story Z.
To get you pulled in a bit deeper, the Z is symbolizing the Z-axis. So basically, a 3D remake of Cave Story!

Using Blender and Unity, (yeah, I know, those are for scrubs, and I don't even know how to use Unity yet, but read on anyways! :3)
...Using Blender and Unity, creating a 3D Cave Story is possible. And I can't do it alone, and well, I'm not going to start for a couple months, either. Right now I'm just getting the idea out there, so if anyone wants to help, feel free to ask. The first thing I'll be doing is making the Quote character. (I'm not that bad with Blender, I feel that I can make a good model.) When I finally get decent with Unity, or anything just as good but simpler, I'll put the model into it and do all the things to make it playable. The first Alpha release will be Quote doing some stuff, jumping around on crude blocks.

To wrap this post up, I need to clarify some things so people won't say things like: "Pyroaid, lol u skrubb wen u gon g3t te werk on dat 3d cayv st3riy shet lol?"
- This is not a project yet, but expect it to begin sometime early next year, unless I feel inspired.
- Do not push me or anyone(if anyone)else to get to work on this faster. This shouldn't be rushed.
- If you want to help, here are some things you can create:
--Curly Brace Model
----- Running
----- Jumping
----- Shooting (Stand)
----- Shooting (Run)
----- Shooting (Jump)
----- Talking (With hand motions and stuff)
----- Taking Damage
----- Sitting
--Weapon Models
-----All weapons

WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST GET MYSELF INTO OMGGGG

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
can you show us a quote model?

Also, don't we have Cave Story 3D for the 3DS?

(Also, weren't the 3D models not that good in Cave Story 3D? I heard about that in a review)

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is literally "make things for me and next year I'll do my own shit" (you won't)

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM
2dbro
good luck with that

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This won't even survive a few weeks probably

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Perpetually out of it
I'd rather not sound like a self-entitled hypocrite by discouraging you in this project of yours, but I really gotta agree with Aar here in the case that if you don't have the consistent amount of determination in you then I really doubt this is gonna last more than a few weeks.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
'tis true, not to be negative or anything.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Been here way too long...
Let him figure it out the hard way. Telling Pyroaid that his hopes and dreams are shit won't teach him anything useful.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:29 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Captain Fabulous said:
Let him figure it out the hard way. Telling Pyroaid that his hopes and dreams are shit won't teach him anything useful.

The hard way I will go.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Perpetually out of it
Parkraft123 said:
Also, don't we have Cave Story 3D for the 3DS?
CS3D's 2.5D, not full 3D.

I'm gonna make sure this is clear all throughout the way you're doing this Pyroaid, you really have to be dedicated to this shit, and I mean long term. Making it this ambitious only increases the likeliness that it won't see the light of day, especially with this degree of community backlash.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Speaking from experience, these things won't work right if you announce them in public.

And sometimes i get the feeling these forums are stuck in a time loop, 'cus i saw the same kind of ambitious topic falling short several times ago. The suggestions forum got closed for a good reason.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Nadojin said:
especially with this degree of community backlash.
The negative response is mostly geared towards three things:

1. Numerous 3D CS projects have gone nowhere over the years. Some produce a few models, but none get further than that. We may be a little bit skeptical.
2. Too much ambition will burn you out before you even start.
3. Pyroaid is asking for help before even producing anything.

No-one is complaining about 3D CS, they just don't think it will get anywhere.

@Pyroaid: Just ignore it and do your thing. They'll be a bit less negative once something is produced.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:29 AM
scrungy
Didn't FrozenFire try something like this?

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:16 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Ok, let me explain something: this is nothing like CS 3D. CS3D did not have a z axis and was only called 3d because it is on 3ds. And as nadojin said, it is 2.5d.

Anyway, hope the project goes well, and start small. One thing at a time, even just make it a very short demo type game at first before expanding on it. I also wouldn't recommend posting anything on the forums unless it is perfectly polished or they will destroy it. Also, don't ask for help until you show at least a physics demo.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:45 AM
scrungy
CS3D did have a Z axis.
Watch this.

05:21 - 05:33

Edit edit: So, yes, 2.5D.

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:04 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
By 2.5D they mean it lacks free movement (in a gameplay sense) along the Z-axis.

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:40 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Pyroaid said:
I'll put the model into it and do all the things to make it playable.
Lets list the steps for when you have your model to make it go into a game.

Unwrap, Texture, Import into engine, Rig, Animate, Program movement, Program animation to match movement. Now rinse and repeat for literally every character or enemy in the entire game. Modeling/Unwrapping/texturing will take you 12 hours IF your really good IF you get it right the first time. Rigging and animating will be just as long under the same circumstances. Unity is a fantastic engine but god damn it won't solve those problems for you. There is a considerable amount of time required for even shitty work to be finished.

(Opinions) Why would you even want to go to all that effort just to make a fucking fan game? Why wouldn't you want to make something thats yours if you were going to devote all that time to it?

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
No offense, but I swear there's already one of these?

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I really don't think you understand the complications of what you're proposing here, or how many years of soul-breaking labor it would take.

Then again, the difficulty of game programming is a bit like The Matrix. No one can be told of it, they simply have to see it for themselves.

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
The one difference between the matrix and game programming: you don't eat pills to decide if you will continue developing a game.