Cave Story Won't Start Up.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:28 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Whenever I click play, it says it's "Preparing to launch Cave Story+" when nothing happens at all. It even says that I've recently played Cave Story on my profile, when I haven't been able to open it up yet. I don't know why this keeps happening, as I've just started using Steam. Can someone please give me some suggestions or tips on how I can fix this and make the game play?

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:28 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
^Yeah what he said^

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
First of all: Cave Story+'s Linux and MacOSX ports are known for not working at all, or being very unstable. If you use Linux/MacOSX I recommend getting a refund.
Last time I checked the Steam port was Windows-only, and her problem is with the Steam port.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2016 at 7:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Last time I checked the Steam port was Windows-only, and his problem is with the Steam port.
I just checked steam and it was ported to Linux and Mac also.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
In any case "get a refund" doesn't exactly solve her problem of not being able to play the game.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
his often means a game didn't install properly. Right click your game, click properties, go to local files, and choose the option verify local game cache. iphone ringtones free
If the game was not installed correctly it will tell you and it will automatically start downloading the game again.
latest comedy movies and guitar ringtone download

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2016 at 2:19 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Okay, I happen to be a Mac user who also owns this game on steam and DRM-Free, (it's the same version except I believe steam has it in folders while otherwise it's self-contained in the app itself). I don't know about linux but would assume because of the "unix"-or-whatever similarities that it's the same issue.

ALSO: We don't actually know what system he's on so disregard this if you aren't using OSX (Macinstosh)

First off, to get it out of the way:
The OSX (Macintosh) version of CS+ (both Steam and DRM-Free) are completely broken. It hasn't worked since OS version 10.9 (AKA "Mavericks"). That was released in 2013, and NiCALiS-whatever-is-up-with-the-capital-letters has ignored protests to change one line of code to fix it.

Okay, now that my rant is over, I can give the good news. It's a simple fix (IF you have administrative access). Basically what happened is that Mavericks changed syntax for filepath shortcuts or something, so when the launcher attempts to locate the "Data" folder that basically holds the game, instead of being locally directed to the steam folder (or inside itself if it's non-steam), it's instead pointed to the top-directory of the hard drive ( I think windows users call it the C:// root directory drive whatever).

So if you're on OSX, you need to find the "Data" folder and move it straight to "Macintosh HD". That's the simplest way to get it running outside using community patches. If you need further instructions ask me and I'll find more specific instructions I posted here years back.

I should probably just record a video at this point.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:06 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
A friend of mine managed to fix the problem. Apparently, some of the .dlls (msvcp100 and msvcr100) are missing when you install the game. He sent me the two files and now the game actually plays. I decided to upload them to google docs/drive for anyone else if they're having the same problem.

docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jlAUSGnDkRaG1DMkRqZzVUZjg/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/file/d/0B6jlAUSGnDkRa19GS2tRUzhKNms/edit?usp=sharing

Tags: free bollywood ringtones download, ringtones download free

Last edited: