Cave Story with a fourth ending

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:33 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If there's an .exe that's missing an icon when it normally should then chances are it's data's corrupted.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:55 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If there's an .exe that's missing an icon when it normally should then chances are it's data's corrupted.

I might try and verify integrity, or maybe reinstall.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:12 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It probably doesn't have anything to do with the lack of an icon in the exe, because that's the case with my installation of CS+, but it works fine. It's just that NICALiS cut corners with the finalization process and decided to instead just include the icon file and let you create a desktop shortcut to the exe and customize that shortcut's icon. I would try running the game in compatibility mode with older versions of Windows (I'm assuming this newer PC isn't XP) by going to the exe's properties and selecting the compatibility tab.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:46 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well apparently the .exe was corrupted, I reinstalled and now it's working fine.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:26 PM
Based Member
I see, I stand corrected. Glad you got the game working, then.

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:51 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The Plus Porter.... I dont really know if I am right but, the plus porter file appears to be a 7zip file. Is that correct?

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:04 PM
Based Member
The Plus Porter.... I dont really know if I am right but, the plus porter file appears to be a 7zip file. Is that correct?
Yes, all the downloads available in this thread are .zip files. To extract the files, right-click on the file and you should see some options for extracting the files so that they will be in a file folder.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes, all the downloads available in this thread are .zip files. To extract the files, right-click on the file and you should see some options for extracting the files so that they will be in a file folder.
Oh. Well, I tried to open it with java instead of extracting it, and it looks perfectly fine.
I will just be waiting if the porter works with ASM hacks in the future.

Aug 10, 2017 at 3:20 PM
Based Member
Oh. Well, I tried to open it with java instead of extracting it, and it looks perfectly fine.
I would not advise doing that, since it will then be hard for the program to read from the "Readme.txt" file, as well as save to the "prefs.ini" file. It's just best to extract a program before using it.

I will just be waiting if the porter works with ASM hacks in the future.
Unfortunately, that is not very feasible. As of tomorrow, it will have been two years since the last release of Plus Porter, and I have no current plans on making any future releases.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:16 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Hayden, can you give me the link to plus porter? I tried the link Cave Story sites on modding tools, but it won't let me use it. So all I need is the link. If you could do that, it will be great.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:47 AM
Based Member
Jan 30, 2018 at 2:03 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The exe file is not there. Please help.

And even with boosters lab. I extract it, and no exe

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:11 AM
Based Member
You're supposed to click on the .jar file as if it's an exe file. Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed, and then open the .jar file. When a program written in Java gets compiled, it becomes an executable jar file, which basically acts the same as an exe.

EDIT: 1625th post! "That dog!"

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I like the fact that we get to save Toroko and King! It always bugs me in games when bad things happen to the cute, innocent, or adorable characters and this is the best possible outcome. I do have to wonder what items and stuff are find-able in this version of the game considering we skip a good chunk of the area after Monster X. We don't even fight Balrog for the third time. I am in the Plantation (at the time of writing this, by the time anyone bothers to respond, I should pass the rocket fuel quest) and just freed the peeps from the jail by giving King his sword back. I am using Cave Story+ as a base, so I used Plus Porter.

I think I found almost the entire lot of collectibles for health pot and Missiles that I could get for this point, and found the Golden launcher. Should I bother with side quests or are they skipped cause of the Butterfly Effect preventing access to some areas. I have a Snake weapon so I won't be able to do much with backtracking to the first cave I was in. I just want to know which sidequests or items are in this mod.

I never beat Cave Story. The farthest I got was the Outer Wall! Thanks for providing an alternate ending!

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM
Based Member
Glad to see that people are still enjoying this mod, and I'm also so glad that people are enjoying this mod in Cave Story+! Most of the items that you can get in any of the other 3 endings can also be gotten in this path as well. The only main thing is that in the path for the 4th ending, you eventually have to give the blade back to King, and so you don't have the opportunity to trade the blade in for the Nemesis. So, no blade or Nemesis. Also, if you have the missile launcher, then it will not be possible to get the alien medal. You also don't fight the Ma Pignon and get the Mushroom badge. You don't really need that. You also technically don't get the Iron Bond in the path for the 4th ending, but in this case you don't need it to get into the final area.

...This only occurred to me just now as I'm writing this, I don't recall ever testing to see what happens if you pick up Mr. Little in the graveyard and take him with you in the 4th ending. The Mr. Little side quest can't be completed in the 4th ending because you can't access the Outer Wall when going for that path.

Other than that, anything you can get in the other endings you can still get in this ending.

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:38 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
if you have the missile launcher, then it will not be possible to get the alien medal.

why is that?

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:14 PM
Based Member
why is that?
Normally, you would get the super missile upgrade after defeating Balrog for the last time, but since that fight doesn't happen in the path for the 4th ending, you don't get the super missile upgrade there. Since you come into the Plantation through the teleporter room instead of the Outer Wall, it would be silly for Kanpachi to catch the teleporter room key if you're going for the 4th ending. Instead, he catches something else. If you have the missile launcher, Kanpachi catches the super missile upgrade. If you don't have the missile launcher, he catches the Alien Medal. Since you skip the Waterway in the path for the 4th ending, you can't get the Alien Medal unless you forego getting the missile launcher and get it from Kanpachi.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:32 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I had to redo the game because I messed up, and switched over to the freeware version of the mod to see if I can get through the rest of the game with the Spur and now that I am back at the plantation, I realize that Kanpachi is not spawning near the fishing area he did last time I freed everyone. Is this a bug where if I don't talk to or trigger his location then I am locked out of him being there? Cause I did everything I was supposed to. I have the Missile Launcher so it isn't that. I assume this isn't a trick limited to the + version of the game. I don't know what I did differently in the Steam version of the game compared to this freeware version. It's a little weird! Did my game break or am I supposed to do something! Last time, I vaguely remember taking King's Blade and fighting the Sisters. I assume he becomes available after everyone is freed. Was I supposed to talk to him BEFORE seeing Curly, Booster, and Itoh?

EDIT: Yeah, I talked to him in that Rest Area. This apparently triggers him to fish. That was the one area I didn't look before resorting to talking here. Yeah, this is one of those moments that make you feel like a dumbass!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:49 PM
Based Member
That's a relief, for a minute there I thought you might have discovered another glitch that slipped through all those years of testing. I was thinking about asking if you had talked to him in the rest area, and I was also thinking about asking if you waited until the rocket was ready at which point (if I recall correctly) the mimigas have been rounded up and taken to the throne room. Glad that it turns out nothing's wrong, though.