Cave Story with a fourth ending

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:09 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Paths said:
oh uh, i found something...

after finding the second puppy and giving it to Jenka, at the end of the first part of her speech she says:
"Three more to go.Good luck."
i think that there's a linebreak needed there :\
That's the same as it is in the original game, I didn't modify any of Jenka's dialogue. And I've abstained from correcting any of the spacing or capitalization issues present in the original fan translation because the original intent was for it to seem to fit into the game as naturally as possible with no obvious signs of modding.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:43 AM
Based Member
Going into the battle, you want to make sure you have max missiles and the fireball at level 3. For getting rid of those four green things that shoot those purple jacks, I like to just unload all my missiles on Monster X and get it over with as soon as possible. Once I've done that, I stay out of harms way when Monster X isn't vulnerable and shoot things with the Polar Star as necessary. When Monster X is vulnerable, get underneath the machine, switch to your fireball, jump up into the air and point the fireball upwards. When you're in the air, mash the trigger as rapidly as you can. Repeat this process in order to do as much damage as you can before Monster X moves on in its cycle of moves.

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Xing1870 said:
Any suggestions on monster x? he's super hard to defeat without the blade

No, he's not. I did it without Missiles and without Bubbline and only took 3 damage the whole fight. It just takes longer to chip away at him, is all.

That wasn't complete fluke either; I've played Fourth Ending three times already and gotten similar results.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Played through this ending again after over a year, this time with Cave Story +.
Thanks for putting in the time to port this excellent mod into Cave Story +, it's great to be able to play it with the remastered soundtrack and graphics.

However, there's one thing I found strange, which might be a bug.
Though I saved the Colons by fulfilling the requirements for the ending, the four enraged Mimigas are still on the Balcony. According to you, they are not meant to be there:
When you get to the Balcony, you'll notice that those four frenzied Mimigas aren't there anymore.
I am playing the Cave Story + port if that makes a difference.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:07 AM
Based Member
Played through this ending again after over a year, this time with Cave Story +.
Thanks for putting in the time to port this excellent mod into Cave Story +, it's great to be able to play it with the remastered soundtrack and graphics.
My pleasure! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Though I saved the Colons by fulfilling the requirements for the ending, the four enraged Mimigas are still on the Balcony. According to you, they are not meant to be there.

I am playing the Cave Story + port if that makes a difference.
The four Mimigas are absent from the balcony in the original version of the mod, but this is not the case in the CS+ port. Between the time that the last version of the freeware version of this mod was made and the time that I ported it to CS+, Pixel confirmed that those Mimigas aren't the Colons, so I changed the CS+ version so that the four Mimigas always appear regardless of what you've done, because I didn't want to continue promoting a fan theory that had been debunked. This is one of the changes listed in the version history, but admittedly, that's easy to miss.

I hope this clears things up.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:30 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for that clear up, I'm surprised that Pixel confirmed something that minor.
It was a nice theory though!

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:57 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Is there anyone that can help me understand how to use the Plus Porter to install the Fourth Ending Mod? I am not good with mods or coding or anything like it.

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:00 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hey, just played this for the first time in ages on CS+. Not sure if I ever told you: Nice job Hayden!
Gotta love the credits scene with Toroko and the kids lol

Mmm... Everything looked good, except when Balrog saves you and Curly says "You saved/helped us again!" or something like that. Did he ever help you, since you skipped the boulder? Though, I guess you could pass it up as something that happened with Curly off-screen. Like how did she get to Hell...?

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:57 PM
Based Member
Is there anyone that can help me understand how to use the Plus Porter to install the Fourth Ending Mod? I am not good with mods or coding or anything like it.
Before I tell you how to install it, first I want you to go to "Help" -> "View readme" in Plus Porter, and see if you're able to follow the instructions under the "SETTING UP" and "APPLYING PORTS" headings. If that doesn't help, then here's what you do:
To use Plus Porter, you first want to go to File -> Open CS+ Directory, and browse to your Cave Story+ installation. To apply a port that has already been made, go to "File" -> "Open port...", browse to the folder of the port you wish to open, and click "Open." After the port has been loaded, go to "File" -> "Apply port", and a window will open up listing all mods currently installed in that game of CS+, and the order in which they'll be listed in the challenge menu (with the one at the top appearing on the main menu). You are able to arrange the mods in whatever order you want the challenge menu to list them, and then click the "Apply port!" button to apply the port to your Cave Story+ installation. Exit out of plus porter, and you'll
now be able to experience the mod in Cave Story+.

If this is still too hard to follow along, then let me know; I lost motivation to make a full tutorial on using every feature, but maybe if enough people are having trouble installing mods, I might make a quick tutorial about that simple process.

Hey, just played this for the first time in ages on CS+. Not sure if I ever told you: Nice job Hayden!
Gotta love the credits scene with Toroko and the kids lol

Mmm... Everything looked good, except when Balrog saves you and Curly says "You saved/helped us again!" or something like that. Did he ever help you, since you skipped the boulder? Though, I guess you could pass it up as something that happened with Curly off-screen. Like how did she get to Hell...?
Thanks, X-Calibar! I'm glad that you enjoyed it! And that's a very good catch, I didn't think about that line spoken by Curly. Well, I guess nothing's perfect.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:59 PM
"Forever coffee..."
@HaydenStudios
Hi!
I just wanted to pop by and say your mod is awesome. King and Toroko were my favorites, so it felt nice to save them. Never got past hell, though.
So yeah. Have a nice day.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:32 PM
Based Member
@HaydenStudios
Hi!
I just wanted to pop by and say your mod is awesome. King and Toroko were my favorites, so it felt nice to save them. Never got past hell, though.
So yeah. Have a nice day.
Thanks, I'm glad that you enjoyed this mod! And you have a nice day to!

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I have a problem in the CS+ port, Mimiga Village is completly invisible (idk if other maps too)

wft village.png

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:30 PM
Based Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you tried to manually install the mod into CS+ instead of using the "apply port" feature in Plus Porter. For mods ported in Plus Porter that have certain types of graphic edits, things won't display properly in Cave Story+ if you don't open the port in Plus Porter and use the "apply port" feature. Hope this fixes it.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
PREGUNTA? Que Sera les PUEDES: Nuevas armas: Añadir SI No Tienes Ideas para armas y Localizaciones yo si mi correo mkjhnhjfdfhe@gmail.com Nós Podemos de Acuerdo y listo como: Awesomeface:: Awesomeface:: Awesomeface:

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:49 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
PREGUNTA? Que Sera les PUEDES: Nuevas armas: Añadir SI No Tienes Ideas para armas y Localizaciones yo si mi correo mkjhnhjfdfhe@gmail.com Nós Podemos de Acuerdo y listo como: Awesomeface:: Awesomeface:: Awesomeface:
( Usando google traductor ) este es el hilo equivocado para pedir ese tipo de pregunta

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:07 PM
War criminal
(no usando tranduce de google) Este es probablemente un robot de spam.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2016 at 7:11 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Nintendo of America has removed the mod? And just the freeware one for Windows?? Why they did this?

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:25 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Alternate link to the Windows version because Nintendo did a bad here.
Your welcome.
EDIT: Apparently the copyright claim is bogus and came from a copyright troll.

Last edited: