Cave Story Wii Secrets

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Brilliant! I wonder if the Dolphin emulation will switch the sprites around on Halloween.
P.S. Your name reminds me of Battlecruisers.

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Arbitrary comparison that's useless without the actual low res wii sprite:
Comparison.jpg

Costume Vs. Beta

Apr 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM
Looks pretty much identical to me, I must say.
Up to the point I recognized it without anyone saying, soo....
Interesting Easter Egg.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:43 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Epic Animated Gif Face Comparison
diph.php

Why did they change Toroko so much? Also, the whole Sue/Quote face connection is pretty blatant, if you ask me.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:55 AM
Awesome. I liked the old Toroko, but maybe the dumb new one will grow on me. And does anyone else think that Sue has kind of a "lolwut?" expression now? Her right eye is squinting slightly, her eyebrow is tweaked, and her mouth is a bit crooked.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:56 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
AssailantLF said:
Why did they change Toroko so much? Also, the whole Sue/Quote face connection is pretty blatant, if you ask me.

It was probably on pixel's request, since if it was to be redrawn he would've been the man to do it. And seeing this, well now I take back what I said and I agree that Quote's face is more-or-less a ripoff of the unused sue face.

Also I love the new curly facepics. They were tweaked just right, in my opinion.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yeah, it seems kinda strange that Toroko gets a complete redesign.. But, maybe it was Pixel's wish? I don't know. Also, Misery's "grin" look, the slight lowering of the eyebrows and change of the mouthline seems to take the sadistic glee out of it.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:26 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Well at least Misery's facepic makes sense now. I always found it weird that she had green hair in her facepic yet blue hair on her sprite.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I still really like Toroko's new face, I mean, her old one didn't look right or even match up with the sprite with me and it didn't make sense how she had the one face sprite that was like ... you were looking at her at such a weird angle, you know? Though I do like the old 'i just ate a red flower lol' one better, honestly..

And now that you point it out, Sue's default face does look SO weird in the Wii version, but it's strange--when playing the Wii version on a huge TV, enough to notice little details like that, I really found nothing wrong with that face, and it's the one Sue uses the most often too--but looking at it up against the old one here makes it look so weird, huh.

I also wish if he were changing 'weird' faces up a bit that he'd have done something about Kazuma's strange expression and the Doctor's super goofy-looking, totally un-badassifying grin. They both look even more ridiculous in the Wii version too, and some of the tweaks are so weird, like getting rid of that little sprig of hair poking out behind the crown on the right side of the Doc's face, that added just a tiny tiny bit of much-needed coolness factor. And they both have such cool sprites now--Kazuma has a total Brock-style expression which he should have as well in the face sprite and Date's 'floating around' sprite's even cooler in the Wii version..

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Observations...

Whoa, Toroko's quite different! Now she's facing the speaker...
Jenka's hair-pin is noticeably higher.
Misery's hair is blue.
Misery's eyebrows in her second face pic are lowered.
Balrog's crying!
...Itoh has a pretty fat whisker there.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Well at least Misery's facepic makes sense now. I always found it weird that she had green hair in her facepic yet blue hair on her sprite.
o_0 I never noticed that! But you're right!
When I looked at the facesheet, I went "What? Did they change the color of Misery's hair??"... Her facesprite hair looked more or less blue in game, but I guess that was just my brain thinking "she has to have the same hair color at the facepic as at the normal sprite. Override visual imput!"...

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:29 PM
It's weird, but I kinda did the same thing--like, I didn't seem to ever really notice or be bothered by the hair colors not matching up, yet I WAS bothered by the weird angle at which Toroko's facepic is viewed :3
I'm glad they changed the latter, though it is a little funny how it looks so DRASTICALLY different from the old one, and is like the only face sprite in the game that's had such a ridiculous amount of detail added (actually redrawn rather than an old one smoothed out, and even more 'unique' than quote's face for sure)

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Take_it_Slow said:
Arbitrary comparison that's useless without the actual low res wii sprite:
Comparison.jpg

Costume Vs. Beta

evilquote.png

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
There are credits pictures for mimiga mask scenes in Cave Story Wii, probably for when you beat the game with it on. Those big monotone images. Those are new. I know this because I just managed to rip the entire contents of Cave Story Wii, including all of the new tables and unused stuff. :3

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Apr 9, 2010 at 6:40 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I don't see why not. Also, in the three 'mods' of Cave Story Wii, they included a copy of every single pbm, even though they switched to bmp for the final version. The strange thing is, these pbms aren't the Japanese version; They're from the AG translation.

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM
Echidna-san said:
There are credits pictures for mimiga mask scenes in Cave Story Wii, probably for when you beat the game with it on. Those big monotone images. Those are new. I know this because I just managed to rip the entire contents of Cave Story Wii, including all of the new tables and unused stuff. :3

Yeah, a couple of us got that ending. I love that they added that touch, although it's too bad Pixel only did the scenes which you can actually have the Mimiga Mask in, instead of redoing ALL the scenes like that lol.

And the pause screen's a bit different in the Wii version so I'm not sure if that's possible.. someone'll have to try it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM
I just tried it and it worked the same, just a lot more difficult with the button layout an all... But unfortunately I was in Hard mode and died after the second hit, haha.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:55 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Woah woah woah, echidna-san-- You ripped all the graphics, etc.?! Is there anyway you could send me a copy of that stuff? That would be sick!