Cave Story+ Wants Good Mods

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Hey Guys,

As some of you probably know, we've released Cave Story+ for Mac App Store and will be releasing a Steam version that will be playable on Windows and Mac. What we haven't mentioned is that we're looking for really awesome Cave Story mods to feature as part of the re-launch.

I know some of you are already planning to mod the new version to make your mods work, but this is an opportunity to get your creations featured :(

The mods chosen will be featured in the binary/executable so people will be able to instantly play these when they purchase the game on Steam.

Here's a few quick notes that will give you an idea of we are and aren't looking for:

- Shouldn't advance the storyline or suggest any plot changes/speculation
- CANNOT have any assembly/exe/binary changes
- CANNOT have any sprite changes, we don't want new characters or character/weapon replacements (character sprites, weapons etc)
- CANNOT be buggy/must be complete (even if it's small)
- Can be arcade-heavy like a boss rush or different mode altogether

I'll be able to answer any questions here, but I'm mainly looking to get some really awesome creations from all of you, the community that has continued to make Cave Story grow for the last five years.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
:o
This is awesome.
I might even make a mini-mod for this, it may help me learn TSC.
You're the best, tyrone :(

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't have anything that could fit the bill

but I might be able to come up with something if I had enough time

When would it have to be finished by?

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:01 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Oh wow, this is great Tyrone :(
Sadly, there aren't too many mods that aren't assembly hacked, or don't feature extensions of the main story.
I'll play whatever you release, though.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:03 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
This is interesting, since I doubt there are very many existing mods that fit these criteria (most mods have plot and/or new characters)... Enemy Rush and Boss Rush are two I know of that might fit, though of course you'd need to find their creators. Thus, I'd guess that any mods you get will be specially made for this.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:17 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
This sounds interesting! I might have to start getting serios about making a mod.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:35 AM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I dunno that theres a lot of mods that would fit this. Pretty much all of them feature some sort of sprite edit or storyline extension. Your only takers would be hell speedruns and boss rushes as far as I know.

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:03 AM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Tpcool said:
:o
This is awesome.
I might even make a mini-mod for this, it may help me learn TSC.
You're the best, tyrone :(

Perhaps we could collaborate on a mini-mod.
Only if you wanted to, of course. This may be a good enough excuse for me to learn TSC.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:03 AM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Would adding new music be considered changing the exe?

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:03 AM
Been here way too long...
I should think so.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:25 AM
Well this is a unique challenge: a mod with zero content except gameplay. We have our own versions of Boss Rush and Curly Mode, but I guess there's no point in submitting those if Nicalis made their own afterwards.
This is a good excuse for me to make a mod. I never bothered before because if you ain't got Assembly hacks, you ain't got nothing.

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
2 questions.
1: When is the last date to submit a mod?
2: Does the mod have to have action? I was thinking the CS Museum, which features all enemies in their natural habitat, with information on them as well as their health and damage stats. NO ONE STEAL THIS IDEA!

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:08 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
2 questions.
1: When is the last date to submit a mod?
2: Does the mod have to have action? I was thinking the CS Museum, which features all enemies in their natural habitat, with information on them as well as their health and damage stats. NO ONE STEAL THIS IDEA!

That may affect lore :/

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:24 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
A good alternative to an arcade mod would be a puzzle mod, made purely with TSC and map editing (both of which are allowed in this case).

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
cultr1 said:
Oh wow, this is great Tyrone :(
Sadly, there aren't too many mods that aren't assembly hacked
Sorry but I disagree with you there. The vast majority of mods don't use assembly hacks.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
khtqelrjtkheqlrtjhleq;nafisfndwekrj

This is wholly unprecedented :( I don't have a lot to add that others haven't said already, so I guess to reiterate:
-An idea of the time frame you're wanting to work with would be greatly appreciated.
-Unfortunately, we don't have many mods that fit what you've outlined and/or haven't already implemented (Boss Rush, Curly Mode etc). I'll take a proper look through the mod archive tonight and see what's available, but I suspect it will be almost entirely arcade-y stuff.

An idea has brewed while out on my delivery walk today, and provided there's time before we have to submit what we have I'll discuss it with the rest of the forum staff. Also, as a question of personal interest, have you approached the Japanese modding community at all?

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM
I have a few questions pertaining to the use of out of bounds flags:
1) Have you changed the implementation of <FL+ and <FL- at all from how they worked in the original Cave Story?
2) Have you changed the implementation of the ascii to hex function?
3) If the answer to both of the previous is no, can we have a map of the memory?

Justification for those questions:
By setting out of bounds flags, we can directly modify a large amount of ram values in the executable. If this facility is also in Cave Story+, we could accomplish things that would normally be possible only with assembly hacks. This in turn would allow mods to have more function without any expense on your part.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Mooore questions :debug:

As it stands, there are a number of changes that Cave Editor can make to the executable itself that some people might not be aware are binary changes. These include:
  • Changing initial player variables (starting HP, direction, event, location, etc.)
  • Changing the mapdata (map names, map size, backgrounds, tilesets etc. are (were) all part of the executable)
  • Changing bullet data (damage, weapon flags, range, etc. are all hardcoded things that CE can change)
At least, those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Are things all off-limits as well? It'd be hard to make a mod without changing mapdata. Initial player stuff would be nice, but can be circumvented with TSC. Bullet data could add some variety, but most people could live without changing that.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Oh also.
Will we have access to the curlymode main character sprites?
If so, how would we switch the images from Mr. Traveler to her?

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Lace said:
I have a few questions pertaining to the use of out of bounds flags:
1) Have you changed the implementation of <FL+ and <FL- at all from how they worked in the original Cave Story?
2) Have you changed the implementation of the ascii to hex function?
3) If the answer to both of the previous is no, can we have a map of the memory?

Justification for those questions:
By setting out of bounds flags, we can directly modify a large amount of ram values in the executable. If this facility is also in Cave Story+, we could accomplish things that would normally be possible only with assembly hacks. This in turn would allow mods to have more function without any expense on your part.

1. No
2. No
3. I'm not sure if that would compromise any of the requirements or regulations for Steam/Apple

If you tell me what you guys need (within reason), we might be able to add commands that might make things easy/faster.