Cave Story: Tweaked (NEW: Version 1.4!)

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:45 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
There's a new 1.5. I can only speak for the Windows version at the momment ~ it's not compiled right and errors up on startup with missing glibc, SDL dlls and so on...
Was able to get it running by putting SDL2.dll (v2.0.20) from another game, and copying over libgcc_s_seh-1.dll, libstdc++-6.dll, libwinpthread-1.dll from my mingw64 install (\msys64\ucrt64\bin). Can probably download them by searching their names on a trustworthy site. (Plus scan them to be safe.)

I also had to copy over the mods folder from the previous version to try Boss Rush. And of course Soundtracks require soundtrack files...

Working and nice new features! (Still need to try a mirror mode playthrough.)

I did notice some issues within a few minutes of testing though. The sprite for Quote collapsed on the ground (after falling in the Mimiga Village cutscene), is a little fireball sprite... Doesn't matter if it's on upscaled graphics or original. Also, Soundtrack Shuffle didn't seem to do anything that I could notice? Figured it should randomly switch through soundtrack albums? Or is it supposed to do something else? (Had all the OSTs copied in.) And lastly, running Boss Rush after copying the mods folder worked fine until exiting the mod/restarting. Then I assume it was still working off the mod folder, without switching back to the original directory. Had missing tilesets, levels, etc. Exits if loading the main game without hard restarting the application. Also couldn't get the rumble working with just Steam's controller API using a DS4 controller. I might need to find another driver or something assuming it's working...

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:17 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I'm not sure how active the development of this mod is, but I'd like to ask if it's possible to add the option to disable the sprite flickering whenever a character gets hit or damaged, both on said character and the UI. I've been unable to play this game for many years now because of this issue.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There's a new 1.5.1 which at least on Windows is still bugged in a way where, you fire up the game, and it says 'Pixel Studios Presents' and then hangs for a bit and crashes probably when trying to draw art and such...

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:31 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
There's a new 1.5.1 which at least on Windows is still bugged in a way where, you fire up the game, and it says 'Pixel Studios Presents' and then hangs for a bit and crashes probably when trying to draw art and such...
Loaded up fine for me, no longer seems to require the extra dlls, or boss mode files~

However still shows the fireball sprite after falling down in mimiga village near the start; instead of showing quote fallen down. (tested with original graphics). Also haven't noticed shuffle doing anything?
Boss rush works now~ No way to switch back to the original game afterwards though, unless you close and restart. Would be interesting if you could switch between mods in options ... Unnecessary though ;)