Apr 22, 2020 at 9:32 PM
Tweaks Mode is a fork of Cave Story Engine 2 aimed at adding better accessibility options and an improved UI experience. The mod extends the Options Menu of CSE2 Enhanced with some Quality of Life options such as:
- Disable screen shake
- Selecting ingame font (currently available options are Monogram and OpenDyslexic)
- Disable screen flashing
- Using color filters, some aimed at improving game visibility for people with colorblindness, and others inspired by retro game consoles
- Extend the UI of Cave Story with new features (such as a Booster level meter)
- Enable autofire
- Infinite ammo for all weapons that use it
- Modify damage received by hitting enemies (from 0% to OHKO mode)
- Disable experience drops
- Equip a Booster by default
- Infinite Booster fuel
- Enable Grace Jumps (also known as Coyote Time)
- Modify boss health (from 1 HP to 200%)
Updated with changes from base CSE2 Enhanced. This includes:
- Fixed several issues with code backends, and merged all pending changes from CSE2 Enhanced.
- Added map frame! Thank you to Onyx for providing the new art for it.
- Added new Extended UI element: Soundtrack display! You'll get a cute little display of currently playing music track whenever it changes.
- Fixed issues with labels for Boss HP Multiplier settings on menus
- **Fully Revamped Map System!** Lifting features from Cave Story 3D, the map is now much more useful! You can move it around with your directional buttons, it shows your location, it shows exits and item locations, as well as save points and health refill stations.
- Added option to disable controller input for PC versions.
- Currently connected controller will dispay its name in the controls menu
- Japanese Build now has a fully translated Pause menu, with tweaks included!
- Fixed issues with Title screen tweaks settings not applying properly to game.
- Fixed spur issues when using autofire.
- Reimplemented Default Booster tweak from scratch to remove all issues with previous implementations
- Fixed issues with audio playback on WiiU
- Added an Extended UI option in Options Menu. This will toggle extra UI elements this branch will receive in the future, and is on by default. Setting it to off will lead to the usual UI of Cave Story.
- First Extended UI: Booster Level! You can see the current Booster fuel level (given that you have a booster equipped)
- Fixed issues with Bubbler level 2 and 3 not working as intended.
- Fixed game being unable to properly unequip booster 2.0 when switching Default Booster mode.
- Fixed Machine Gun (all levels) and Bubbline Level 2 not working properly with Autofire set on Hold.
- Fixed screen flash settings not being properly loaded on game load.
- Fixed boosters being unequipped from game if you loaded a save file while Default Booster set to None.
- Fixed issue with game unequipping Airtank when activating or loading a save file with Default Booster tweak.
- Fixed issues with ORG playback when window was unfocused.
- Added Controls option: Strafing! You can map a Key (C by default) or button in your controller to walk without changing your facing direction. This is based on how Cave Story+ for Switch implements said feature.
- Added Tweak: Boss Health Multiplier! This lets you lower (or increase) the max life of every boss in the game, from a measle 1 HP to a full fledged 200% increase.
- Added Tweak: Game Speed modifier! Change the speed the game moves at in real time, from 50% to 150%.
- Revamped Title Screen!
- New background art, inspired by CS+
- Reworked Title Logo. Also better centered.
- Replaced Title.png "New" and "Load" text with ingame font "New Game" and "Continue" text.
- Added Options, Tweaks, and Quit options to the title screen menu.
- ESC/Pause buttons do not work on title screen anymore (redundant as Quit and Options are now reachable from title screen alone).
- Continue option is now disabled and cannot be selected if the game cannot find a Profile.dat file (i.e., if there's no save file to continue off of).
- Fixed issues with movement that made it to v0.8.4 after a failed implementation of Mirror Mode.
- Fixed positioning of Yamashita farm Kiosk and Mimiga Village Cage.
- Fixed an issue with Grace Jumps pushing the player upwards when trying to use Boosters during the grace jump window.
- Fixed maptile spikes not following Damage Received tweak settings.
- Curly's Nemesis in Hell now obeys Autofire Tweak settings.
- Increased grace jump window from 6 to 9 frames.
- Recolored the red line in Labyrinth B to make it visible for colorblind people (and in colorblind filters).
- Reordered options in Tweaks Menu
- Game now defaults to 480p windowed in first boot (rather than fullscreen)
- Added support for Wii U console (build not included, sadly instructions to build it yourself in readme). Requires a softmodded Wii U with homebrew Launcher.
- Added Soundtrack toggle support.
- Added Color Filters! These will allow you to set the colors of the game based on the following filters:
- Protanomaly: Common red-colorblindness
- Protanopia: Strong red-colorblindness
- Deuteranomaly: Weak green-colorblindness
- Deuteranopia: Strong green-colorblindness
- Tritanomaly: Weak blue-colorblindness
- Tritanopia: Strong blue-colorblindness
- Sega Genesis (using the 512 color scheme of Genesis/Megadrive)
- MSX (using the 256 color scheme of MSX)
- Game Boy (... 4 colors lol)
- Added an option to tone down or completely remove screen flashing.
- Added new tweak: Grace Jumps. When enabled, the game will give you 6 frames to jump after having walked off a ledge.
- Imported latest changes from base Enhanced branch.
Updated with changes from base CSE2 Enhanced. This includes:
- New Pause Menu backend
- Better console backend support
- Soundtrack toggle (Soundtracks not included)
- Hits that deal 1 HP damage now deal 1 HP (instead of 0 HP) with 50% Damage Received Tweak activated. This matches the behavior of CS+ Easy mode.
- Fixed No Exp Drops tweak not properly setting up on save and reload.
- Fixed some enemies (Mannan, Zombie Dragons, among others) spawning experience with No Exp Drops tweak activated.
- Removed "+0" damage HUD showing when Quote would take 0 damage (most noticeable when using 0% damage modifier)
- Removed spurious data files.