Cave Story Tile graphics and any other bones you want to throw me

May 6, 2006 at 1:28 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hey everyone. Big fan of the game. Like pretty much everone here. After reading X-Cailbar's post A few Questions about Cave Story projects... I couldn't help but try out the editors to see what I could come up with.

Long story short, I found the editors somewhat lacking and said "Hey! I can code. I've hacked save files before. I can write an editor." I know arrogant me. But I quickly found out that tiles for the game aren't in .pbm files or any other external file for that matter. So they must be stored in the .exe file. But where? I've been searching around for a while but no luck so far. All I've found is a Ika squid and arrow cursor.

Would anyone be nice enough to point me in the right direction. Any help would be... helpful.

May 6, 2006 at 1:37 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
They are external, actually. They are in the data/Stage directory as Prt*.pbm for the actual graphical tilesheet. I'm not sure which of the other files stores the tile data (solidity, etc.).

May 6, 2006 at 1:43 AM
Wow. How'd I miss that. Thanks, that had realy been irritating me.