Cave Story - The Ultimate Challenge

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
you gave an extra 33% on his score because it had assembly hacks that are better than what you can do? what would hackerstory get, 200%?
No. Still +10. I have certain bonuses which I give out to mods that meet certain requirements. For example, most of the previous mods I've "reviewed" have gotten a custom art bonus, or a music bonus. The art bonus give 5 extra points. If you look at these "reviews", you'll see all the ones with custom art got the art bonus, no matter how little the art was. The ASM bonus functions just the same. If it's more ASM than changing the name of a map, or adding custom music, I give out the bonus. Anyways, why do so many people care about my "review" anyways? I'm not actually reviewing the mod, I'm just pointing out certain flaws, or pointing out the good aspects as I go along. If this mod had custom art, or even some music, it could have gotten a score over the possible 32.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:08 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
No. Still +10. I have certain bonuses which I give out to mods that meet certain requirements. For example, most of the previous mods I've "reviewed" have gotten a custom art bonus, or a music bonus. The art bonus give 5 extra points. If you look at these "reviews", you'll see all the ones with custom art got the art bonus, no matter how little the art was. The ASM bonus functions just the same. If it's more ASM than changing the name of a map, or adding custom music, I give out the bonus. Anyways, why do so many people care about my "review" anyways? I'm not actually reviewing the mod, I'm just pointing out certain flaws, or pointing out the good aspects as I go along. If this mod had custom art, or even some music, it could have gotten a score over the possible 32.
Then what if I put bad music and graphics in my mod?

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM
Soup Man
Apr 18, 2017 at 2:19 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
No I mean, how would you rate that?

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yeah like according to your rules if the content is garbage but new then it could get a score higher than max (which is stupid, it's the max for a reason)
your scoring system just makes zero damn sense my dude

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Soup Man
yeah like according to your rules if the content is garbage but new then it could get a score higher than max (which is stupid, it's the max for a reason)
your scoring system just makes zero damn sense my dude
Ok, for every thing that I notice, I count it as a point. Whether that point is negative, positive, or I don't specify, meaning it's neither, I still count it as a possible point. The bonuses are usually so big because usually the mods get about 5 out of 40 points, unless they were very small mods, in which they'd probably get a negative number. If the mod was bad, but still has custom music or art, it would still get the 5 point bonus. So if I judge them like this, a 10 out of 4 isn't a good score. It means your mod was short and bad and didn't get many good points. But if it's 30 out of 40, that means it's probably pretty good and long, as I noticed a lot about it. It's not about what score you get, but the commentary I give on the mod.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Ok, for every thing that I notice, I count it as a point. Whether that point is negative, positive, or I don't specify, meaning it's neither, I still count it as a possible point. The bonuses are usually so big because usually the mods get about 5 out of 40 points, unless they were very small mods, in which they'd probably get a negative number. If the mod was bad, but still has custom music or art, it would still get the 5 point bonus. So if I judge them like this, a 10 out of 4 isn't a good score. It means your mod was short and bad and didn't get many good points. But if it's 30 out of 40, that means it's probably pretty good and long, as I noticed a lot about it. It's not about what score you get, but the commentary I give on the mod.
From one side I could assume your score is just a count of how many good points there are against the total amount, some being worth more. But the later bonuses (first mod, asm usage, etc.) tell me otherwise.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM
Soup Man
From one side I could assume your score is just a count of how many good points there are against the total amount, some being worth more. But the later bonuses (first mod, asm usage, etc.) tell me otherwise.
None of you should really be worried about my scoring because it's more about the commentary than the score. I only put the score at the end for fun. But I do think my scoring system is valid, if you know how to read it. A 10/5 is not nearly as good as a 10/20.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:39 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
None of you should really be worried about my scoring because it's more about the commentary than the score. I only put the score at the end for fun. But I do think my scoring system is valid, if you know how to read it. A 10/5 is not nearly as good as a 10/20.
I'm just gonna say that some people might see your reviews' intents differently.
But for this thread's sake of staying on subject I dont think I have much more to say.

May 6, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I beat it again. with picture proof this time. Screenshot_1.png

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:46 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
"Do it without saving to show your time"?

I'll see what I can do.

Edit: 2 hours later, can get to Machine Gun pretty often but have never passed it. I need to go to sleep now but I will resume in the morning.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
"Do it without saving to show your time"?

I'll see what I can do.

Edit: 2 hours later, can get to Machine Gun pretty often but have never passed it. I need to go to sleep now but I will resume in the morning.
Yeah, this mod is sorta dead now. I am no longer as active on the CSTSF as I am on discord. To talk to me, or view my mods you can join either https://discord.gg/xRsWpz6 (general modding server) or https://discord.gg/ggecJFu (specifically for discussion about my mods).