Cave Story - The Twinkle Toes Challenge

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:10 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
This is a short timed challenge mod to test/train your Cave Story parkour skills! Also you can compare you time to others' times and try to beat their's! Enjoy!

Version 1

Version 1.1
UPDATE NOTES:
- Changed title screen art
- Changed title screen music
- Added Time Prizes (Under 3:00 - Ninja Quote + Wind Fortress ORG; under 4:00 - Ninja Curly + Meltdown ORG; Under 5:00 - TROLL)
- Fixed a problem in which you can stand on the rocket as a platform in the middle of the spikes. (Added large time penalty)
- Removed unused textures
- Changed credits

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:05 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Is this somehow a reference to the Avatar TV show?

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:20 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
That last part with the spikes tripped me up and I died so I ragequit because Splatoon isn't as hard as this.

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:34 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YND6Id6cjTk
I tripped up at the beginning, losing several seconds... didn't want to stress... and record again ;=;

btw that glowy thing is generally where I'm looking lol, eye tracker was ENABLED
Was curious to see it. It was supposed to be recorded at 50fps... but guess youtube won't enable that unless I resize it to 720p+... you could watch it at 2x speed in chrome though ;D
1'41"6

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Bionicobot said:
Is this somehow a reference to the Avatar TV show?
Not really. Why?
X-Calibar said:
Cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YND6Id6cjTkI tripped up at the beginning, losing several seconds... didn't want to stress... and record again ;=;btw that glowy thing is generally where I'm looking lol, eye tracker was ENABLEDWas curious to see it. It was supposed to be recorded at 50fps... but guess youtube won't enable that unless I resize it to 720p+... you could watch it at 2x speed in chrome though ;D
1'41"6
Nice time! (You beat mine... drat.)

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:47 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I enjoyed this mod. It was a neat little short mod that has you doing some strategic jumps, and gives you an incentive to do it quickly. I liked the disappearing platforms and hurrying to get onto the rocket, and the presses falling onto the platforms was pretty cool too. That was interesting what you did with spawning an extra current tile if you don't make it across that gap the first time. That area frustrated me a lot, but I guess I mostly have myself to blame since X-Calibar figured out the right key presses for getting across the first time.

All in all, this is a cool little mod, but I've found a few things you can do to leave yourself stranded:
TwinkleToes2_zpscrdtc2je.png

If you stay on the rocket, you'll fall to the floor, but you'll be okay because the rocket serves as a platform. Perhaps you could punish the player for staying on the rocket by sending some presses down to put Quote out of his Misery.
TwinkleToes1_zpsyyswq8kh.png

If you don't make it to one of the platforms in time before a press lands on it, but manage not to get crushed, then you're kind of stuck here, and have to reset the game to get out. Since basically it's a failed attempt if you miss a jump before a press gets there, parhaps you could also make the floor disappear after a certain period of time, so that if you miss a jump, you fall to your death instead of getting stuck. In fact, if you want to be really clever, you could potentially design this so that the floor disappears and sends presses down in a way such that, if you're up there jumping around, you fall to your death if you make a mistake, and if you're waiting down below, then the presses come down and kill you. I think that would be a cool way of "break-proofing" this mod.

In the end, my fastest time was 2'06"5. I wanted to try and perfect my time and beat X-Calibar, but I've already wasted enough of the morning, so I think I'm gonna leave it at that.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:19 PM
beep boop
Fixer90 said:
Not really. Why?
Oh, I was just connecting the line with what Toph calls Aang.
Looks like a great little challenge, which I accept.
Edit: As soon as my recording software is redownloaded.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:21 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The part with the presses falling with the Tetris music reminds me of the Tetris level from WTF story. It was fun to master, my time was 2'06"9..... (Like if you cry everytime)

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:29 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
No more challengers?? This makes me want to investigate all the challenge mods I've missed... Wonder if there's a list.

Oh, and Fixer... great ninja challenge! I am glad I gave it a chance. One of these days I need to download all kinds of mods to see what I've been missing and give them a nice long stream....

HaydenStudios said:
That area frustrated me a lot, but I guess I mostly have myself to blame since X-Calibar figured out the right key presses for getting across the first time.
It took a lot of tries to finish actually. For some reason I kept getting "Pressed" at the end. As if Quote was tired from all that climbing I kept failing there over and over for no real good reason... Maybe it's Tetris-phobia...

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:40 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Hey my Tetris theme! Cool. I died right when it started playing.

Aug 11, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Since everyone's tripping on speedruns right now I tried this out. This is some solid level design, I can't remember how long it's been since I saw someone use actual sandcroc jumps. The name definitely fits. I kept playing until I broke 2 minutes but I didn't beat X-Calibar's time.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:41 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I took on the challenge. My record is 1'34"4.

Video

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

Contains 3 successful attempts playing as Curly.

Please do not mind the phone ringing background noise. Yes my PC has a fax modem.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2015 at 4:00 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Could not defeat. And I have defeated Cave Story 12 times at least.