Cave Story: The Point of No Return

May 27, 2008 at 7:31 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Cave Story
The Point of No Return

Story:
This mod takes place after the BAD Ending of Cave Story, you know,
the one where you leave the island when things get ugly, and never find out what happened.
One year has passed since the events of Cave Story. (as played making the worst decisions possible) The Doctor now has total control of the island, and has begun to wreak havoc on the surface. You play as Glitch in this Mod. Glitch works for a resistance group, formed with the purpose of stopping the Doctor by any means necessary. You start the game by entering the backdoor to get to the Core.. Glitch's mission is to destroy it of course, it will stop the Doctor after all, but it also means the death of several innocent residents of the island. Unfortunately it appears Glitch has no other options though, and he's running out of time. After "defeating" the core, something goes wrong though. The core seems indestructible! Thanks to an enchantment cast by Misery, the core cannot be defeated with mere force anymore, and the only one who has the artifact to break the enchantment is long gone from the island. To make matters worse, the jet that was supposed to carry Glitch back to the surface is forced to leave, leaving him stranded. The only hope of destroying the core, escaping the island, and saving the world, is to find
and gain his assistance! But where could he be... (Of course, this is just the beginning of the plot, I don't want to spoil the whole thing before I even have a demo ready.)

Screenshots:
p36733-0-33azzmt.png

p36733-1-2lx9unr.png

As a warning, this mod will be LOADED with Spoilers, but I assume most of you have already beaten Cave Story, huh?

DEMO COMING SOON!

How much is done?
Story----------25%
Sprites---------17%
Gameplay-------8%
Overall---------14%

May 27, 2008 at 7:55 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wow.

Never thought I see THIS mod be made.
Congrats, you found a use for the bad ending.
;P

Hmmm....

Now if only there was a mod from the so-so ending and a way that Original CS could know HOW you beat it, and hencly decided which mod you play to avoid spoilers.

Amicrazy?

May 27, 2008 at 7:59 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Never thought I see THIS mod be made.
Congrats, you found a use for the bad ending.

Thanks! The bad ending was so short, someone just HAD to extend it at some point, right? :p

Now if only there was a mod from the so-so ending and a way that Original CS could know HOW you beat it, and hencly decided which mod you play to avoid spoilers.

Cool? Yes. Possible? Maybe. I had a hard enough time figuring the basics out though, so I don't think I'm gonna tackle anything like THAT yet. :p

May 27, 2008 at 8:07 AM
Absolute Zer0 said:
though, so I don't think I'm gonna tackle anything like THAT yet. :p
Dun make me get my beating whip...
Hmmm...
I'll run this idea by Internet Stranger and see if he could do something with it...

May 27, 2008 at 8:16 AM
The one where you drown 67 times in Start Area and the game says "Fuq dat!" and says "Game Over"...? Oh, and the the EXE corrupts itself to the point of is being nothing usable ever.

May 27, 2008 at 8:19 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Coolest mod idea ever. No seriously, the return of the n00b is such an anime-like idea, it's just awesome. Hope you complete this.

And I love the facepic XD

Thanks, I'll try to complete it. So far I have about five minutes of original gameplay, followed by the core battle, and after that my mod is incomplete. But if I could get this much done in a day, who knows how long it'll get? :p

How about a mod starting from the hidden fourth ending as discovered by Lyger?

You mean someone made a 4th Ending video before I did? Curses, foiled again!

May 27, 2008 at 8:23 AM
Absolute Zer0 said:
But if I could get this much done in a day, who knows how long it'll get? :p
*Snickers*
Well, best guess would be that it'll be 6 inches - I mean hours of gameplay at the end if you do it right.

Maybe less if you're inexperienced.

*Snickers*

I'm sorry, this is Spiced Ham, but I COULDN'T RESIST THE JOKE.

On a more serious note, why Is Curly in that SC?

May 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
On a more serious note, why Is Curly in that SC?

What does SC stand for? Assuming you mean Cut Scene, or something along those lines... Apparently... She's waterproof? Hey, the game never specified that she was dead, she only looked that way, so we assumed it. HOWEVER! If she was built as an amphibious robot, that is, waterproof and rust proof, she might've just gone into hibernation mode for a year, and just woke up? As I said in the other topic, I'm taking an awful lot of creative license here. :p

May 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM
Absolute Zer0 said:
What does SC stand for? Assuming you mean Cut Scene, or something along those lines... Apparently... She's waterproof? Hey, the game never specified that she was dead, she only looked that way, so we assumed it. HOWEVER! If she was built as an amphibious robot, that is, waterproof and rust proof, she might've just gone into hibernation mode for a year, and just woke up? As I said in the other topic, I'm taking an awful lot of creative license here. :p

Not to raind on your waterproof parade (pun intended), but I'm fairly certain, that if you dun get the tow rope, it says, and I quote: "Her life functions have ceased." Or is this a case of Mostly Dead vs. All Dead?

Ps. SC = Screenshot = Screenie
I'd say SS, but I find the reference to the Nazi military police is... Unsettling?

May 27, 2008 at 8:38 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
"Her life functions have ceased."

Maybe it's to show what is apparent from the protagonist's point of view, not necessarily a fact. Also, "ceased" could be interpreted as "turned off", as we are talking about a robot. They may've been shut down to prevent permanent damage to the system, like that blue screen you get on Windows Computers sometimes. It's possible, right? :p

EDIT: And yes, I am making a stretch. I realize that Pixel's original intention was probably that she dies if you don't get the tow rope. I'd just prefer to have more of the original characters to work with, at least for the beginning.

May 27, 2008 at 8:40 AM
Absolute Zer0 said:
As is apparent from the protagonist's point of view. Also, "ceased" could be interpreted as "turned off", as we are talking about a robot. They may've been shut down to prevent permanent damage to the system, like that blue screen you get on Windows Computers sometimes. It's possible, right? :p
I've only ever gotten the BSOL...

Though perhap you're onto something...

lol
2 cases of Mostly Dead vs. All Dead in one game!
lol
(The 2st is Booster in teh laby.)

May 27, 2008 at 8:45 AM
Justin-chan
SC is screen cap god fucking dammit dragonboots you fail ahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

And why do you use a brush tool for facesets ):

May 27, 2008 at 10:00 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Absolute Zer0 said:
Cave Story
The Point of No Return

Story:
This mod takes place after the BAD Ending of Cave Story, you know,
the one where you leave the island when things get ugly, and never find out what happened.
One year has passed since the events of Cave Story. (as played making the worst decisions possible) The Doctor now has total control of the island, and has begun to wreak havoc on the surface. You play as Glitch in this Mod. Glitch works for a resistance group, formed with the purpose of stopping the Doctor by any means necessary. You start the game by entering the backdoor to get to the Core.. Glitch's mission is to destroy it of course, it will stop the Doctor after all, but it also means the death of several innocent residents of the island. Unfortunately it appears Glitch has no other options though, and he's running out of time. After "defeating" the core, something goes wrong though. The core seems indestructible! Thanks to an enchantment cast by Misery, the core cannot be defeated with mere force anymore, and the only one who has the artifact to break the enchantment is long gone from the island. To make matters worse, the jet that was supposed to carry Glitch back to the surface is forced to leave, leaving him stranded. The only hope of destroying the core, escaping the island, and saving the world, is to find
and gain his assistance! But where could he be... (Of course, this is just the beginning of the plot, I don't want to spoil the whole thing before I even have a demo ready.)

Screenshots:
p36733-0-33azzmt.png

p36733-1-2lx9unr.png

As a warning, this mod will be LOADED with Spoilers, but I assume most of you have already beaten Cave Story, huh?

DEMO COMING SOON!

How much is done?
Story----------25%
Sprites---------17%
Gameplay-------8%
Overall---------14%

*stares for what seems like an eternity at the post*

That's a load of freaking generous spoilers for a mod that hasn't even had a demo released yet!

May 27, 2008 at 10:13 AM
I know I did.

*Steals the idea, just in case*

May 27, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Justin-chan
Metalogz said:
*stares for what seems like an eternity at the post*

That's a load of freaking generous spoilers for a mod that hasn't even had a demo released yet!
He sure as hell isn't as stingy as you then =D

May 27, 2008 at 10:59 AM
lol

He and I are on different ends.
He spoils, I devolve through gameplay.
He works until he's at a sane point to share the mod, I upload at every chance.

Yerp.
Completely different.

May 27, 2008 at 6:58 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I've already finished a good 65% of what I showed in that post, and I'm not nearly done yet. The *SPOILER* bits were for people who haven't beaten/played Cave Story on the Good Ending, of course I probably spoiled other things...But anyway, the story paragraph just covers the first part of the game, there'll be more after that. :p