Cave Story Screensaver-Vista solution

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:28 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
You know you want to get the Cave Story Screensaver by Falcon Five on your Vista machine but it does not work. And this screensaver was built with Game Maker 6 by YoYo games (seen in its readme file) with renaming of the file extension.

It was made with Game Maker 6, right? There is a tool already available to convert the previous versions to 7 that does supports Vista. Go download the converter. (unpack it from the zip, and very importantly read the readme file.)

Pull out the Cave Story Screensaver. Drag the Cave Story Screensaver file over the converter tool executable file, let go and the tool will convert the file from version 6 to 7. The new Cave Story Screensaver file will come out (with a bigger filesize). Run the new file to see if the screensaver works. If it is, cool.

Delete the old Cave Story Screensaver file (the one that will not work in Vista, Game Maker version 6). Then install your new Cave Story Screensaver (the one that works in Vista, Game Maker version 7)

Finally, enjoy.

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Do you want this submitted to the site?

Feb 3, 2009 at 2:54 AM
Veteran Member
The part in the readme for the Converter Tool says:
Please realise that you are not allowed to redistribute converted games
unless you are the creator or copyright holder of the original game.
Remember the creator of the convertor was made by the Game Maker author named Mark Overmars.

You can, however, submit my instructions on how to convert if you want. Add the link to this thread. Place text 'Windows Vista users, please click here' that points to the forum thread.

Keep the link to the thread as long until Falcon Five could actually distribute the Vista version. I do not know Falcon Five's contact.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Fluff8836 said:
The part in the readme for the Converter Tool says: Remember the creator of the convertor was made by the Game Maker author named Mark Overmars.

You can, however, submit my instructions on how to convert if you want. Add the link to this thread. Place text 'Windows Vista users, please click here' that points to the forum thread.

Keep the link to the thread as long until Falcon Five could actually distribute the Vista version. I do not know Falcon Five's contact.
I actually meant the instructions. Though I could put a link to this thread there, or I could put the instructions on the site, your call. Either way I'll credit you, so don't worry about that. You could submit it as a guide. *shrug*

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:54 AM
Veteran Member
I confirm that you place a link to the thread below the screensaver link. The link says 'Windows Vista users, please click here.'

Because I don't want you to create another page to the tribute site. Trying to be Conservative.

I appreciate your credit giving. You are welcome!

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Fluff8836 said:
Because I don't want you to create another page to the tribute site. Trying to be Conservative.
If I believed in being conservative with text then I wouldn't post here so damn often. :D

Fluff8836 said:
I confirm that you place a link to the thread below the screensaver link. The link says 'Windows Vista users, please click here.'
I'll add that link as soon as I can.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
andwhyisit said:
If I believed in being conservative with text then I wouldn't post here so damn often.
And have the longest e-penis around for that matter, I suppose?

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
jcys810 said:
And have the longest e-penis around for that matter, I suppose?
I stopped caring about my postcount ages ago to be honest.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:20 AM
Veteran Member
I found Falcon Five's contact in the screensaver readme file. The creator asks for feedback on his/her screensaver. I will ask the creator to convert the screensaver and upload the new version, which then the link to the thread in the tribute site will be omitted. I am going to see if I get a reply from Falcon Five if I do... and hope I get a yay and not a nay.

I will notify with an edit of the post, if possible.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:58 AM
"Huzzah!"
will it work for XP

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I think it's supposed to work in XP without doing this...

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM
Veteran Member
odin 2128 said:
will it work for XP
After conversion, yes. It will just do the same thing.

But, because of the bigger filesize of the conversion, the old one should remain present. Compare:
  • Cave Story Screensaver made with Game Maker 6: 1,320 KB
  • After conversion to Game Maker 7: 2,101 KB

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Here is a new version 7.0 screensaver for you guys using windows failsta XD sorry it took so long, I recently formatted my laptop and had yet tried to get gamemaker 7.0 back on it... they're really anal about registering with the new version, with internet registering and such... had to email them and tell them that it was the same computer [i promise!! XD]

anyhow... here is a link to the new version... he rotates a little bit, I think I like it better like this... let me know what you guys think!!

www.freewebs.com/falciase/cavestoryscreensaver.exe

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
rofl i knew that i had posted before, but it wasn't showing up. turned out i was on the first page and not the second hahah. well hey, disregard the first message's .exe file, i forgot to make it a .zip file, and changed the .exe to a .scr so it actually worked as a screensaver. so download the .zip file!!

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Veteran Member
I got your e-mail message. Thank you very much. :p You forgot to edit your readme file, but oh well...

andwhyisit, you can now remove the link to the thread. You don't need to make any other changes because the original screensaver link now points to the new version.

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:54 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I know i am bumping this, but the site does not work
upload_2016-2-16_15-54-35.png