Cave Story running slow on Windows 10?

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So today I upgraded to Windows to see how it's like, and I noticed that I have one major problem:
Cave Story clearly runs a bit slower.
I have had no problems running it on Windows 7.
Does anybody know how to fix this?

Aug 7, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Miccs said:
So today I upgraded to Windows to see how it's like, and I noticed that I have one major problem:
Cave Story clearly runs a bit slower.
I have had no problems running it on Windows 7.
Does anybody know how to fix this?
It's probably just a backwards compatibility issue, since freeware Cave Story uses really really old drawing libraries.

The only fix I could recommend is maybe (if you're on a laptop) switching power modes to something that doesn't limit performance, or else just getting CS+ since it should run fine.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
This probably is unrelated, but have you tried running the game from the desktop?
When I upgraded to Windows 10, I found RPGmaker 2000/2003 games using ddraw would run horribly slow for no good reason...
The problem apparently was I was running them from a folder in Program Files (x86), and I'm just guessing that something to do with permissions was causing games run from protected areas to run horribly. That's the theory anyway.
The solution was to move the game to My Documents (or Desktop).

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
X-Calibar said:
This probably is unrelated, but have you tried running the game from the desktop?
When I upgraded to Windows 10, I found RPGmaker 2000/2003 games using ddraw would run horribly slow for no good reason...
The problem apparently was I was running them from a folder in Program Files (x86), and I'm just guessing that something to do with permissions was causing games run from protected areas to run horribly. That's the theory anyway.
The solution was to move the game to My Documents (or Desktop).
It's unlikely to be cause by it's location, as I just checked the game's speed when playing the game when put in Desktop, and it had no difference(Most likely because I keep the game in my documents already.)

Edit:Apparently, using Fullscreen 32-bit makes the game run as fast as normal, no exact idea about the windowed modes though.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:53 PM
beep boop
Could be that Cave Story doesn't like the new ways that Windows 10 runs.

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:49 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Bionicobot said:
Could be that Cave Story doesn't like the new ways that Windows 10 runs.
Well, Cave Story doesn't really do anything special, it just uses really old APIs.
This is also why the Japanese version has mojibake on non-Japanese Windows.

It might be possible to improve performance by using a DirectDraw wrapper.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:04 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I do know that several of my friends who run Windows 8 also experience the same problem. I've played CS on Windows 7 and haven't experienced any problems.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:40 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Install Linux, then install Wine.