Cave Story Running on Xbox One

Jun 20, 2017 at 3:15 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have no idea if anyone has done this yet. So far I haven't found anyone trying to play Cave Story on the Xbox One. I pulled this off by sideloading ppsspp onto the Xbox One's developer mode and then running the cave story psp rom on it. I've got a video attached for proof and just if you want to see it in action on my Xbox One. Oh and before you rant about by camera angle I want you to know that my camera is a little bit too heavy for my tripod...

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:12 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
shockingly, you can play cave story on windows 10 too

Jun 20, 2017 at 4:18 AM
Based Member
Very cool looking! Yet another console on which we can play this beautiful masterpiece. I guess the "emulating" features of some consoles give us some flexibility in doing this. I'm not too familiar with how the Xbox One operating system works, so I'm not entirely sure how impressive of a feat this is.

shockingly, you can play cave story on windows 10 too
To be fair, this is a little bit more impressive. At least, I think.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:01 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Very cool looking! Yet another console on which we can play this beautiful masterpiece. I guess the "emulating" features of some consoles give us some flexibility in doing this.
It's interesting how many more possibilities emulation opens up, I find the idea amazing of playing Cave Story on the Xbox One, opens a new door.
And kudos to you @personifi for getting that on the Xbox One, that was awesome!

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:43 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How to play cave story on Xbox One

1. Setup Target Xbox One
To setup your Xbox One you must install dev mode activation. Dev mode activation app can be found in the windows store on your Xbox One. Dev mode activation will tell you what to do. When you are finished setting up your Xbox one you can launch developer mode. Better instructions are found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/devkit-activation

2. Install ppsspp on the Xbox One
On on your Xbox one running developer mode go to the square in the bottom right corner and click on settings (the square has your consoles IP address in it). Get the link from the settings tab and enter the link into a computer. On your computer download ppsspp for the Xbox One from this website- https://mega.nz/#!ps9TTICT!t8AifH2iR9VbhnTzx-wXK3OYH3Obiamxnx36Wbcv5T0 | Once you've downloaded the file go back to the website and upload the ppsspp file with the "add" button. Ppsspp should begin to install.

3. Import and play Cave Story!
On the Xbox One go into settings, then display and sound, and then video output and make sure apps can't make a border. Then go to your computer and insert a usb drive. Copy the Cave Story rom to the root of the flash drive and the eject it and plug it into your Xbox One. Then launch ppsspp. In ppsspp click load then go into your usb drive and chose your rom. Launch the rom.

4. Fix the controls
On the cave story menu use the B button to click on items. It will bring up the ppsspp in game menu. If you click exit on the menu the item you clicked on in the Cave Story menu will be pressed on. In the keys menu configure the controls then launch the game!

5. Play Cave Story!
Do I need to say anymore? Nah. If I left anything out please tell me.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Threads merged. Please don't make multiple threads about the same subject matter.