Cave Story Run - A Pseudo 3D Proof of Concept

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:50 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
After 3 years of thinking about it and roughly 2 days of work, it's here!

Cave Story Run is a working proof of concept that creates a pseudo 3D environment for the player to traverse, similarly to the Sonic 2 bonus stages.

If reactions are positive I will expand on the concept with more levels, cutscenes, and gimmicks!

Give it a play and tell me what you think!

V 1.04
Framerate is 2x as fast!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8su98uno9bweou7/Cave Story RUN - V 1.04.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:34 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
This is really nice. I wasn't sure what to expect going in but this is a really cool concept. It'd be nicer if there were more frames though.

EDIT: By the way, you might wanna fix this
upload_2018-4-3_20-38-38.png

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:44 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is really nice. I wasn't sure what to expect going in but this is a really cool concept. It'd be nicer if there were more frames though.

EDIT: By the way, you might wanna fix this
View attachment 4710
Yeah, things like that and the lack of smoke at death are just me cutting corners. To fix errors like that I would have to edit the Cave Story source code. If this project gains traction I will work on those errors, but for now, it's just the way it is.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:49 AM
Soup Man
Yeah, things like that and the lack of smoke at death are just me cutting corners. To fix errors like that I would have to edit the Cave Story source code. If this project gains traction I will work on those errors, but for now, it's just the way it is.
You'd just have to change the background of the map and slightly update the other tiles

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:55 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This is actually a really neat concept, I haven't really seen anything like this done in Cave Story yet. I think the only issue (to me) is that the frame advancement of the spikes is a tad too choppy and it makes timing a little bit trickier.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:02 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
You should have it auto restart and keep track of score somehow (like through health). Also the spikes get confusing sometimes and like 2dbro said they are pretty choppy and hard to avoid. Also I think Running Hell or Run! would be better music than Gestation.

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:25 AM
Soup Man
IMO you should make every area in cave story have levels like this, including enemies and possibly boss fights.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is actually a really neat concept, I haven't really seen anything like this done in Cave Story yet. I think the only issue (to me) is that the frame advancement of the spikes is a tad too choppy and it makes timing a little bit trickier.
I just made the framerate run twice as fast, though it gets a bit janky in some areas.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
There should also be something like a shop like in a lot of endless runner-like games. You collect the monies while you run and those are stored in probably the ammo for a weapon and at the Start Point you should be able to buy upgrades that made the game better. Also, you should add Grasstown next. You might also want to change the title from Cave Stroy Run to Cave Story Run.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There should also be something like a shop like in a lot of endless runner-like games. You collect the monies while you run and those are stored in probably the ammo for a weapon and at the Start Point you should be able to buy upgrades that made the game better. Also, you should add Grasstown next.
I'm planning the game to be story driven, like the original Cave Story, with the story sections being 2-D, while the action sections being 3-D, though the shop idea may make it's way into the game.

You might also want to change the title from Cave Stroy Run to Cave Story Run.
Can't believe that slipped by! Thanks for the help.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:12 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This is really cool! I think you executed it well and it is nice to play. It kinda reminds me of Contra :p

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:35 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You're literally the only person who has done this for cave story. You're thinking outside the box. I loved this.