Cave Story RPG?

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:21 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I protest the use of Game Maker since it is Windows-only, and I use a Mac.

Note to SP: GameMaker is actually a totally different program than Game Maker. (That one is Mac-only.)

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:22 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Use GLBasic :)

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 21, 2008 at 6:52 AM
Hoxtilicious
Then you would need a libary which is also suported by the PSP :p

Forget PSP, get a PocketPC, GP2X, XBOX whatever :p

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:12 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ahh, so the argument isn't "Use this because its just better" but its more "Use this because then we can all play it once its done"...

I guess thats very understandable then...If it was just a "this is better" thing I would call foul play...I've seen some wonderful projects working off of the most limited sources just because the people using them knew them inside and out...

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:02 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
JacobX891 said:
For example: An Untitled Story was made with GameMaker
Don't you mean Game Maker?

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:05 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
lipucd said:
Ahh, so the argument isn't "Use this because its just better" but its more "Use this because then we can all play it once its done"...

I guess thats very understandable then...If it was just a "this is better" thing I would call foul play...I've seen some wonderful projects working off of the most limited sources just because the people using them knew them inside and out...

I'm pretty nearly all of the people here at least have access to a windows computer. Cave Story was a Windows only game until someone ported it to the Mac, and PSP, and other systems. The vast majority of people have a Windows, even if they use a Mac/Linux more often. And the point still stands that I don't know much about OpenGL or C++, let alone enough to make an RPG. C+ is a complex language, I won't learn it overnight. And even if I spent all summer learning it, I still wouldn't know enough for this project, and I'd be out of time because I start collage in September. I know what I'm doing, and I'm using game maker, all I asked is if anyone wanted to help with graphics, not what engine/language I should use. :p

If anyone does want to help, it would speed this up considerably, and I'd really appreciate it. :p

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:07 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Absolute Zer0 said:
I'm pretty nearly all of the people here at least have access to a windows computer. ... And the point still stands that I don't know much about OpenGL or C++, let alone enough to make an RPG. C+ is a complex language, I won't learn it overnight. And even if I spent all summer learning it, I still wouldn't know enough for this project, and I'd be out of time because I start collage in September.

Well, like I said earlier (I think?) if the tools fit the job, there's no need to go out and find a bigger wrench. Myself, I'm just debating languages for the sake of debating languages. :p

Although not everyone here has (constant and reliable) access to a PC running Windows. I know CM is on a Mac, for instance, and cannot run Windows-only projects. So this wasn't just idle debate (at least on my part) - if some more portable (and feasible) solution comes up, that'd be even better. If not, well, bro, it's your project. You take it where you want it to go.

As for C++, remember that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single line of code. It's worth learning, so if that's part of your plans maybe you won't learn it over the summer, but at least you'll learn enough to write some simple trippy apps. Go for learning it as a side project, I say! More power to you. :p

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:42 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Then you would need a libary which is also suported by the PSP :p

Forget PSP, get a PocketPC, GP2X, XBOX whatever :D
How did you think cave story was ported to PSP when it was written in C++? :p

If the source is in C++ then you can port it to PSP.

lipucd said:
Yes, that's pretty much it.

I don't play many PC games these days, I mainly play anything that can work on a CFW psp, so when I hear about a brilliant project done in RPG Maker, Game Maker, or MMF then I am not too happy about what I am missing out on.

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Hoxtilicious
Eh, if a langugage is faster, then more people can play it too.
Because they don't need a uberpc. :D

andwhyisit said:
How did you think cave story was ported to PSP when it was written in C++? :eek:

Because the libary is DirectX which is only supported by Windows -_-"

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:07 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm using Game Maker, subject closed, anyone want to help or not? :confused:

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I might be able to help a little with programming, I've been using Game Maker since I was eleven. I've never made a decent game with it, though.

If you're going to make a top-down action RPG, I'd suggest using some sort of targeting system, as merely shooting the direction one's facing tends to lack accuracy. A good example is Shadowrun for the SNES.

If you can send me what you have already I'll take a look at it.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's going to be a Tales style RPG, here's an example of how that looks:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cotRQFe6xv0

I've got programming all set, I'm actually a fairly advanced Game Maker user, how good are you at spriting and animating?

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:57 AM
The Bartender
Absolute Zer0 said:
Spriting? I thought that video was 3D.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:18 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The one I'm working on isn't going to be 3D, the battle system is just going to be similar to the one in that video. Tales games were 2D for a long time before they moved onto 3D, but most of them were in Japanese only, so I posted a more recent one.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:22 AM
The Bartender
So... what'd be a good comparaison? ToP? Or something more like a Megaman boss battle?

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:49 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Hm... I guess any of the 2D Tales games, though this will vary in a few ways, it should feel like one of them. Maybe I'll even include skits and stuff.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:09 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I hate spriting, but I'll program.

So are the characters going to utilize ranged or melee weapons?

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
I hate spriting, but I'll program.

So are the characters going to utilize ranged or melee weapons?
Both and anywhere in between most likely.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:19 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Hmph... just a personal thought, but I always thought that Cave Story would look really neat done in Super Mario RPG-style...
ANYWAYS-AH, I'd be happy to help out with damage calculations and stats and stuff, since
a) that's what I'm very good at and
b) it takes a surprisingly large amount work to do properly.
Not touching the plot or anything else though ._.