Cave Story Rom?

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:12 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
could i get, say, a snes rom of cave story? it doesnt have to be snes though, it can be snes, nes, genesis? is there one floating around? if not, how could i convert this amazing game?

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
345742D said:
could i get, say, a snes rom of cave story? it doesnt have to be snes though, it can be snes, nes, genesis? is there one floating around? if not, how could i convert this amazing game?
i dont think theres any roms of cs made (for those consoles anyway), and i dont think anyone plans to,
Also it would probably take alot of hard work to convert it

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
345742D said:
Try to create a demo on you own of a snes cave story. Then show it to Pixel and he will offer you the source code. DO NOT GIVE THE SOURCE CODE TO ANYONE ELSE WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM PIXEL. Also in order to port it you would need to know the C++ programming language and assembly. Then you would need alot of free time on your hands not only porting it but also in increasing the number of on-screen objects that the snes can handle somehow. Though something tells me that you do not have a programming background, even if you did I think it would take longer than you would be prepared to spend. I am not sure about genesis apart from that the colours would not do it justice. A nes port? Yeah right. The nes couldn't handle it.

Then again you could always use the psp, gp2x, xbox, ds (when it comes out), linux, or mac ports.

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:51 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I'm pretty sure ROMS are illegal, therefore asking for them on a forum would be a rule breaker as well.

Not sure about this forum but nearly every other forum I go to has this rule.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
jcys810 said:
I'm pretty sure ROMS are illegal, therefore asking for them on a forum would be a rule breaker as well.

Not sure about this forum but nearly every other forum I go to has this rule.
Because most roms are of commercial games. A freeware (usually homebrew) rom is 100% legal.

Jun 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
oh.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jun 25, 2008 at 1:21 AM
/end
I managed to get half of CaveStory to play on a GBA emu, but I got lazy and didn't finish it.

Just like I haven't got around to finishing that custom engine for CaveStory I started on.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MetaSeraphim said:
I managed to get half of CaveStory to play on a GBA emu, but I got lazy and didn't finish it.

Just like I haven't got around to finishing that custom engine for CaveStory I started on.
Can we check out what you have done so far by any chance?

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:15 AM
/end
Depends. Do you mean the half CaveStory on the GBA emu, or the custom engine for a custom CaveStory game I am working on?

Either way you would have to wait until I have enough time to change the files since they only work on my computer at the moment.

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MetaSeraphim said:
Depends. Do you mean the half CaveStory on the GBA emu, or the custom engine for a custom CaveStory game I am working on?
The first one. But both if possible.

MetaSeraphim said:
Either way you would have to wait until I have enough time to change the files since they only work on my computer at the moment.
Fair enough.

Will it a gba rom, a modification to the gba emulator, or both?

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:28 AM
/end
Just a rom.

But I may not even finish it since if I'm going to do something custom like that for CaveStory I might as well go thru with my plan to make a game engine to base a prequel, sequel, and a remake of CaveStory with new things in it.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:26 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
MetaSeraphim said:
Just a rom.

But I may not even finish it since if I'm going to do something custom like that for CaveStory I might as well go thru with my plan to make a game engine to base a prequel, sequel, and a remake of CaveStory with new things in it.
Well the thing is that you can show what you have to pixel and ask for him to lend you the source code and permission to use it for a GBA port.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:39 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
You can contact Pixel?!?!
:D:eek::eek:
On his BBS, duh!

Is your engine done in C++ or something else?