Cave Story - Rise of Ballos

What do you think of this mod, and why? Please tick only 1 of the first 5, and please don't troll.

• 5/5, Really good

• 4/5, Somewhat good

• 3/5, Neither good nor bad

• 2/5, Somewhat bad

• 1/5, Really bad

• ============= # This is just a space between choices, please do not tick this # =============

• Needs better/more music

• Needs better sprites

• Needs more asm

• Needs more levels

• Needs to be easier

• Needs to be harder

• Needs clearer storyline

• Needs more work on level design

• Needs more dialogue/characters

• Needs less bugs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 7, 2016 at 6:44 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
What you're basically saying is "make my mod for me." I've already done my job by telling you what was problematic about your levels. Now it's your job to figure out how to include that difficulty in a non-bullshit way. Take those bad areas and make them less bad.

VzRpT3n.png

Yeah. Not that many enemies. Right.

Read what you just typed. In what world is staking the player's victory on luck a good idea?
Oh come on. That isn't that much enemies. That's just because you jumped straight into the centre of them.
I'll make it so that there are less enemies in that area, but that can't be all the reasons why you'd think my mod was bad.
That's not staking the victory on luck. I didn't say it was completely luck-dependant, I said it was a little luck based. Unless you had extreme bad luck with the critter's timing, you could still beat it.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:16 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Oh come on. That isn't that much enemies. That's just because you jumped straight into the centre of them.
I'll make it so that there are less enemies in that area, but that can't be all the reasons why you'd think my mod was bad.
if these enemies weren't constantly shooting projectiles, and if seasons hadn't needed to show you this a second time, your argument might have had some merit.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:00 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Too many enemies. The game is just too unfair. What was fun about Cave Story was that people on ANY difficulty level could play it. This is just borderline unfair. Also, the mountain at the beginning is stupid. For one thing: It's too straight. Mountains are all wobbly and look real. This just looks flat. Also, why is the right so long? Just put the barrier next to their house.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:31 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Too many enemies. The game is just too unfair. What was fun about Cave Story was that people on ANY difficulty level could play it. This is just borderline unfair. Also, the mountain at the beginning is stupid. For one thing: It's too straight. Mountains are all wobbly and look real. This just looks flat. Also, why is the right so long? Just put the barrier next to their house.
I'm really not going to make this mod any easier. This wasn't designed to be easy. It wasn't designed for people who barely passed the original Cave Story. I fixed the mountain cliff ages ago. I don't know why you're saying it's stupid.
Wait. I know now. I forgot the dimensions. I'll fix it right away.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:36 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm really not going to make this mod any easier. This wasn't designed to be easy. It wasn't designed for people who barely passed the original Cave Story. I fixed the mountain cliff ages ago. I don't know why you're saying it's stupid.
Wait. I know now. I forgot the dimensions. I'll fix it right away.
Please understand, no one here is really that into Kaizo mods like you are.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:40 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This argument will be interesting,so I better get the popcorn.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:51 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Please understand, no one here is really that into Kaizo mods like you are.
This argument will be interesting,so I better get the popcorn.
Okay, I'm not trying to start an argument. I did make an easier version of the mod a while ago, but that was dropped after I figured that I wouldn't have enough time to keep that up with this version. Sorry, but it's gonna take a while for me to make the easier version again.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay, I'm not trying to start an argument. I did make an easier version of the mod a while ago, but that was dropped after I figured that I wouldn't have enough time to keep that up with this version. Sorry, but it's gonna take a while for me to make the easier version again.
Oh sorry by argument I ment like a courtroom case kinda

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:33 AM
Professional Whatever
Xin your mod looks hard but it seems to be primarily fake difficulty. I haven't played the mod, at least not yet, but I can tell that a lot of the content in your mod involves 1) spike spam, 2) inescapable traps and/or 3) enemy spam. There are better ways to implement difficulty. This is also the reason your players are responding negatively to your map design.
Don't feel the need to make the mod easier, but try to find more imaginative and engaging ways to implement difficulty.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
I'm really not going to make this mod any easier. This wasn't designed to be easy. It wasn't designed for people who barely passed the original Cave Story.
Again there are leaps and bounds between "not easy" and "unfair and not fun".

As Doors said, try to find ways to implement difficulty that isn't primarily based around luck and spamming hazards. The first room of Hell in vanilla Cave Story is great design, the third room is kinda good too though definitely a bit less fun due to the hazards everywhere. Try to aim for difficulty based around challenging the player on how much they know, not how much bullshit they can endure.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Xin your mod looks hard but it seems to be primarily fake difficulty. I haven't played the mod, at least not yet, but I can tell that a lot of the content in your mod involves 1) spike spam, 2) inescapable traps and/or 3) enemy spam. There are better ways to implement difficulty. This is also the reason your players are responding negatively to your map design.
Don't feel the need to make the mod easier, but try to find more imaginative and engaging ways to implement difficulty.
Okay, but I really haven't enough time to find more original ways to implement difficulty, but I'm working to improve some of the maps.
Also don't call me Xin. You can call me Tom or something, but if you call me xin it might be confused with @zxin or something.
Also I like how nearly everyone ticked the 'please do not tick this' option

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Also I like how nearly everyone ticked the 'please do not tick this' option
It's an easy option to pick if you just want to see the results, since for some reason you're not allowed to without voting first.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Okay, but I really haven't enough time to find more original ways to implement difficulty, but I'm working to improve some of the maps.
Making a cs mods is kind of a time consuming task in itself what exactly is eating up your time or preventing you from properly fixing things when you do have time?

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
Making a cs mods is kind of a time consuming task in itself what exactly is eating up your time or preventing you from properly fixing things when you do have time?
I don't. I barely have time to reply to these posts.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Okay, I had nothing to do today, so guess what?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlyrohcvttwp5tf/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.0.zip?dl=0
+ Fixed major weapon exp bugs
+ New game mechanic: Armour points, very slightly randomly generated resistance to every hit taken, displayed as a percentage below the health bar. Not very effective against weak damage, but the difference becomes obvious on things like death spikes. Damage is rounded off to the nearest whole number, with a minimum of 1 damage.
+ Added Armour Capsules, currently each one increases damage resistance by 5%. Also, the effect is depreciating, so getting a second capsule will reduce the damage by 5% of the 95% remaining damage.
+ Improved level design in many areas
+ Made previously enemy spam levels like Labyrinth G a lot more interesting
+ Removed all traps that you can't get out of
+ Fixed fading out when jumping off the Mountainside
+ Readded easy mode, accessible at the start of the mod, very similar to the easy mode in CS+
I hope this update will get at least some positive comments

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Alright I'ma play this now. Just note that I generally suck at CS.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:41 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym7a3hty7o0kimt/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.1.zip?dl=0
+ Multiple bug fixes, such as Berserk Core randomly turning on easy difficulty, and certain improvements.
+- Added Hard mode! Not that anyone would play it, basically a sequel to the Cave Story's 3HP run. No life capsules, but there are still armour capsules.
EDIT: Updated again slightly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9v6fglf58nt70w/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.2.zip?dl=0
+ Several bugfixes from glitches caused by previous two updates, including turning on both hard and easy mode
- Reduced damage of regular energy orbs from Berserk Core to enemies
+ Allowed Death Spikes to kill enemies
+- Minor redesign of the bottom left part of Sand Zone
+- Added 2 new Fuzz Core types: One type has red Fuzzes, that are invincible (almost), until the central core is defeated, upon which they will double their health (from their original health) and charge at the player. The other new type is the same, but with blue Fuzzes as well (the blue Fuzzes don't have extra health, to prevent them breaking the game). Also the Fuzz Core will (usually) have extra health, and drop extra EXP.
+- Added option for most enemies to have higher HP and damage, drop extra EXP
+ Player can no longer take more than 9999 damage, either by glitches, overpowered enemies, or randomisation

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
Still no one replied; got into a bit of assembly today.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zlawn5nty9q1eg/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.3.zip?dl=0
+ Added a legitimate Tracker Blade projectile that HOMES IN ON ENEMIES! Coding isn't yet 100% accurate, may attack hearts or exp randomly even though I made a list of entities for it to chase -_-
+ The Fireball is now obtainable through a not-secret path in Labyrinth W
+ The Fireball and Northern Star can now be combined into the Snake Mk2 by Chaba
+ The Blade and Northern Star can now be combined into the Tracker Blade by Chaba
+ Minor improvements to the Labyrinth and Sand Zone areas
+ Some new weapon expansions, e.g. Snake Mk2, Missile, etc
+ New 10% Armour Capsule!

Last edited: