Cave Story - Rise of Ballos

What do you think of this mod, and why? Please tick only 1 of the first 5, and please don't troll.

• 5/5, Really good

• 4/5, Somewhat good

• 3/5, Neither good nor bad

• 2/5, Somewhat bad

• 1/5, Really bad

• ============= # This is just a space between choices, please do not tick this # =============

• Needs better/more music

• Needs better sprites

• Needs more asm

• Needs more levels

• Needs to be easier

• Needs to be harder

• Needs clearer storyline

• Needs more work on level design

• Needs more dialogue/characters

• Needs less bugs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 4, 2016 at 4:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
New minor update:
- Made Berserk Core launch 4 volleys, with the last two very fast.
+ Made Berserk Core launch more red wisp projectiles.
- Made red wisp projectiles less likely to drop pickups
+ Made Berserk Core push back pickups (Hearts, EXP, etc) during water current attack
+ Increased damage threshold when Core will shut
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4188i1bpx2ddx3/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.0.10B.zip?dl=0
...From watching this, the only thing that can be said is that you are the master of ASM.

Jun 4, 2016 at 5:29 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
>Likes his ASM
>But no 2x res hack

Do you really expect everybody to do that?

Jun 4, 2016 at 6:02 PM
War criminal
There's no need to push that, you know. :V

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:33 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Heh; he's pretty good. It's not like he's re-created the 2x res hack or anything, but it's impressive, certainly. Although despite this he seems to be kinda crap at game design... or, at least, judging by the mod so far... '._.
Not that I'm crap, it's just that I'm out of time, really. I'm gonna do a new update soon to fix some bugs like the Polar Star crashing the game sometimes and some other weapon issues.
There is really no need for me to recreate the 2x res hack, because it's already been done.
Considering that I have only done asm for less than 3 months, I think that I'm a pretty fast learner tbh

EDIT: New update, 0.8.0.11
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewfioy57e8isroj/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.0.11.zip?dl=0
+ Fixed many weapon bugs
+ Missile pickups now refill a substantial amount of Machine Gun and Acid Bubbler ammo
+ Reduced average damage of Berserk Core energy balls to 16
+- Allowed Berserk Core to summon Fuzz Cores and Fire Whirrrs, they can give EXP
+ Allowed EXP pickups to 'overflow' through weapon levels
+ Allowed Super Spur to 'save' its EXP energy when switching weapons
+ Allowed Snake Mk3 to 'save' its EXP energy when switching weapons
+- Re-enabled Berserk Core to control the water level
+ A few minor tileset corrections
+ Added Whimsical Star upgrade, leaves colourful trails that deal more damage than the stars themselves
You can now cheat the mod by entering the start of the mod through mod testing with OP items.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016 at 5:04 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Dunc streamed your mod earlier tonight, but lost the will to go on after the Rainbow Critter fight. Here are his overall statistics:
p215564-0-5288e4f803.jpg

Here are the statistics I was keeping track of:
p215564-1-7wn80l3.png

He eventually gave up after breaking the game, dying, and getting trapped in bad tile placement shortly thereafter. I can't fathom how you managed to do this to your TSC, but Dunc was able to fly left after exiting Sandy Path and enter the Bottom of the Island maps.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Dunc streamed your mod earlier tonight, but lost the will to go on after the Rainbow Critter fight. Here are his overall statistics:
p215564-0-5288e4f803.jpg

Here are the statistics I was keeping track of:
p215564-1-7wn80l3.png

He eventually gave up after breaking the game, dying, and getting trapped in bad tile placement shortly thereafter. I can't fathom how you managed to do this to your TSC, but Dunc was able to fly left after exiting Sandy Path and enter the Bottom of the Island maps.
Okay...
I'm fixing that right now. I didn't realise the glitch with H/V triggers moving around slopes :o
I'm getting a lot of complaints about the level design, it would be good if you guys could tell me exactly which parts needed fixing/improving.
The Rainbow Critter boss isn't hard! I can't believe how bad you guys are at finding strategies to things. For the Rainbow Critter, stand in a corner and purposely get hit by the shot volley attack, then shove the critter into the corner and allahuakbar all your missiles into it while you are still invincible!

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:02 AM
War criminal
I'm getting a lot of complaints about the level design, it would be good if you guys could tell me exactly which parts needed fixing/improving.
You mean you ignored your level design notes Seasons gave you from his many playtests? I'm just saying, they're usually highly informational.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:25 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
You mean you ignored your level design notes Seasons gave you from his many playtests? I'm just saying, they're usually highly informational.
I've fixed all the bugs he mentioned that are currently in the mod, the rest of the maps are currently unimplemented. TBH I don't really think this mod needs level design improvements at the moment.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016 at 3:01 PM
Professional Whatever
I don't think eating damage and abusing invincibility frames is a good strategy to expect from the player

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:25 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
The Rainbow Critter boss isn't hard! I can't believe how bad you guys are at finding strategies to things. For the Rainbow Critter, stand in a corner and purposely get hit by the shot volley attack, then shove the critter into the corner and allahuakbar all your missiles into it while you are still invincible!
are you kidding me? A speed run tactic often used for the last form of ballos(but still not required to beat him) should not be the only method to beat a boss
lemme guess, you will eventually make a boss where you have to 360 no scope a enemy going 420 miles an hour while falling into a pit of rainbow critters. And that you will only consider to be a moderate challenge.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Requiring the player to abuse invincibility frames in order to beat a boss is bad design.

TBH I don't really think this mod needs level design improvements at the moment.
You can't be serious. Did you honestly glean nothing from my several sets of mod notes? Have you not figured out that spike/enemy/moving block spam is wrong?

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I'll try this. So far; it looks better than most of my mods.

Wait. Are the physics normal? Something seems off.
I'm not a fan of the rainbow blocks.

From what I've seen; it looks like you focused more on art and story than level design and gameplay. There needs to be an equilibrium between the two. There are also WAY to many bugs. Even more than most of my mods. Also, the Level design is atrocious. Apart from that; the art and story are near perfection (Except maybe Booster's face sprite). The rest is far from perfect.

Here's a glitch where you can move while talking to Curly!:
wotttt.PNG
Sorry; I'm too busy examining this fireplace.

Also; the jump physics are horrible. Just keep them how they are in CS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM
Soup Man
I honestly didn't even notice a change in them. Are you sure there actually are changes?! I'm usually pretty quick to see physics changes in CS mods.
I've been playing my mod for 8 hours (Same CS physics). These physics seem a bit off. The jumps are a lot harder.
EDIT: I think he made the jump hight a tiny bit higher; but the gaps in jumps are bad.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2016 at 12:35 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Requiring the player to abuse invincibility frames in order to beat a boss is bad design.

You can't be serious. Did you honestly glean nothing from my several sets of mod notes? Have you not figured out that spike/enemy/moving block spam is wrong?
I have, but there is just nothing else to put into those levels. It would be great if you could give me some recommendations, like instead of A, do B. All you seem to be saying is this is bad, that is bad, everything is bad. There aren't that many enemies, and the moving block spam is only in one part of one level.
The invincibility frame thing for the boss isn't intentional. It is entirely possible, albeit harder and a little luck-dependant, to kill it legit with the Missile Launcher.
I've been playing my mod for 8 hours (Same CS physics). These physics seem a bit off. The jumps are a lot harder.
EDIT: I think he made the jump hight a tiny bit higher; but the gaps in jumps are bad.
I did, to implement the ice physics as well. I'll fix the normal physics later.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Soup Man
I did, to implement the ice physics as well. I'll fix the normal physics later.
OK. For a second I thought I was going insane lol.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:46 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
I have, but there is just nothing else to put into those levels. It would be great if you could give me some recommendations, like instead of A, do B. All you seem to be saying is this is bad, that is bad, everything is bad. There aren't that many enemies, and the moving block spam is only in one part of one level.
The invincibility frame thing for the boss isn't intentional. It is entirely possible, albeit harder and a little luck-dependant, to kill it legit with the Missile Launcher.
What you're basically saying is "make my mod for me." I've already done my job by telling you what was problematic about your levels. Now it's your job to figure out how to include that difficulty in a non-bullshit way. Take those bad areas and make them less bad.

There aren't that many enemies
VzRpT3n.png

Yeah. Not that many enemies. Right.

Read what you just typed. In what world is staking the player's victory on luck a good idea?