Cave Story - Rise of Ballos

What do you think of this mod, and why? Please tick only 1 of the first 5, and please don't troll.

• 5/5, Really good

• 4/5, Somewhat good

• 3/5, Neither good nor bad

• 2/5, Somewhat bad

• 1/5, Really bad

• ============= # This is just a space between choices, please do not tick this # =============

• Needs better/more music

• Needs better sprites

• Needs more asm

• Needs more levels

• Needs to be easier

• Needs to be harder

• Needs clearer storyline

• Needs more work on level design

• Needs more dialogue/characters

• Needs less bugs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 1, 2017 at 6:46 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Guys! I know I haven't updated this in a long time, so how about I just update it now?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o20g7rhyoenmlz1/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.2.0.zip?dl=0
+Fixed many bugs
+-New areas for you to explore
+More weapon trades available
+-Placed some new cutscenes to enhance storyline (probably still not quite enough though)
+Reworked some level designs
+New system - Healing Scaling, not used much yet (there's only 1 capsule in the game with it right now), but it increases the amount of health gained from heart pickups by Scaling level * Maximum health * number of hearts picked up / 100.
+-New title screen (animated) to replace the dialogue at the start of the mod when you press 'new'
+-New screen size customization (allows 640x480, 800x600, 960x720, 1280x960), the 800x600 configuration does its best to make pixels still square, but that's impossible due to the pixels not being in a valid ratio.
+-Damage numbers can now go up to 2,147,483,647, and now the damage numbers themselves go in random directions instead of just upwards.
+-Player health can now go up to 2,147,483,647, although that is not used yet.
+-Game currently requires 3 save files - Mygame.bat, dat.dat, and stat.num (I might combine them later), make sure you copy all 3 files when backing up save/deleting save!
+-Added ogg music, played using an extraction of NICE
+-Added automatic music transposition hack; whenever a piece of music is played it automatically transposes itself a few semitones up/down to prevent it getting boring after a few rooms with the same music.
+-Added NPC collision, where NPCs with the flag 'Hard Solid' will push entities with the flag 'Soft Solid', as well as being able to collide with other 'Hard Solid' NPCs. Occasionally may act weird when NPCs are accelerating in opposite directions.
+-Some enemies now have a new health system where they take only 1 damage per hit. To balance this, they now have greatly reduced HP.
+NPCs can now be frozen, which will immobilize them but not prevent them dealing damage. Currently there is only 1 implemented weapon that can do this, and that is the Iceball (Fireball upgrade). At the moment, it acts weirdly on enemies with special health systems, such as Gaudi and Shadow Critters. I am working to fix this bug.
+-Added special textboxes used by certain characters, and menus (such as save points). Currently there is a very small chance that the textbox will appear invisible and not load correctly, it is unknown why.
+-Upon death the game now tells you what you were killed by... most of the time.
+-Added a few new bosses, some with rewards
+-Numerous other changes

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017 at 3:31 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Guys! I know I haven't updated this in a long time, so how about I just update it now?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k0epxfm9vzmpdd/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.2.0.zip?dl=0
+Fixed many bugs
+-New areas for you to explore
+More weapon trades available
+-Placed some new cutscenes to enhance storyline (probably still not quite enough though)
+Reworked some level designs
+New system - Healing Scaling, not used much yet (there's only 1 capsule in the game with it right now), but it increases the amount of health gained from heart pickups by Scaling level * Maximum health * number of hearts picked up / 100.
+-New title screen (animated) to replace the dialogue at the start of the mod when you press 'new'
+-New screen size customization (allows 640x480, 800x600, 960x720, 1280x960), the 800x600 configuration does its best to make pixels still square, but that's impossible due to the pixels not being in a valid ratio.
+-Damage numbers can now go up to 2,147,483,647, and now the damage numbers themselves go in random directions instead of just upwards.
+-Player health can now go up to 2,147,483,647, although that is not used yet.
+-Game currently requires 3 save files - Mygame.bat, dat.dat, and stat.num (I might combine them later), make sure you copy all 3 files when backing up save/deleting save!
+-Added ogg music, played using an extraction of NICE
+-Added automatic music transposition hack; whenever a piece of music is played it automatically transposes itself a few semitones up/down to prevent it getting boring after a few rooms with the same music.
+-Added NPC collision, where NPCs with the flag 'Hard Solid' will push entities with the flag 'Soft Solid', as well as being able to collide with other 'Hard Solid' NPCs. Occasionally may act weird when NPCs are accelerating in opposite directions.
+-Some enemies now have a new health system where they take only 1 damage per hit. To balance this, they now have greatly reduced HP.
+NPCs can now be frozen, which will immobilize them but not prevent them dealing damage. Currently there is only 1 implemented weapon that can do this, and that is the Iceball (Fireball upgrade). At the moment, it acts weirdly on enemies with special health systems, such as Gaudi and Shadow Critters. I am working to fix this bug.
+-Added special textboxes used by certain characters, and menus (such as save points). Currently there is a very small chance that the textbox will appear invisible and not load correctly, it is unknown why.
+-Upon death the game now tells you what you were killed by... most of the time.
+-Added a few new bosses, some with rewards
+-Numerous other changes
Not sure if this is just an elaborate ruse or an actual update. It crashing the instant you enter Sand Zone certainly makes it look like a case of the former.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:45 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm gonna guess that one of the entitites crash the game, making it unplayable unless you go through the trouble of deleting all the troublesome NPCs.
I sincerely hope that this is just an accident.
The echoing at the startup is a little too much, as well. But that could just be my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017 at 5:49 PM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Sorry for the drama; it was because of an access violation to address 0x0 at the start of the Green Critter code. The link has been updated and should work now.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:53 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I played this mod and the game started to lag, then whenever I played any mod the game lagged.
So, there are too many enemies.
That lags the game.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
is this a bug or what i stuck in resivor and i can go anywhere

note:i play on easy mode and use debugging mode

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    64.9 KB · Views: 9
Nov 4, 2018 at 8:27 AM