Cave Story - Rise of Ballos

What do you think of this mod, and why? Please tick only 1 of the first 5, and please don't troll.

• 5/5, Really good

• 4/5, Somewhat good

• 3/5, Neither good nor bad

• 2/5, Somewhat bad

• 1/5, Really bad

• ============= # This is just a space between choices, please do not tick this # =============

• Needs better/more music

• Needs better sprites

• Needs more asm

• Needs more levels

• Needs to be easier

• Needs to be harder

• Needs clearer storyline

• Needs more work on level design

• Needs more dialogue/characters

• Needs less bugs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 20, 2016 at 2:30 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Buddy the path of blue blocks in the house isn't solid.

Right, but when I played the block at the end of that corridor is, there's no way to exit it from anywhere in that corridor.

upload_2016-6-19_21-32-19.png

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2016 at 2:53 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Right, but when I played the block at the end of that corridor is, there's no way to exit it from anywhere in that corridor.

So just take note of it for your post, open up Booster's Lab, and fix it so you can progress?

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Weird, that wasn't there for me. Maybe it just happened in the newer version.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:42 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So just take note of it for your post, open up Booster's Lab, and fix it so you can progress?

That's too much trouble for something I haven't enjoyed so far. And yes, I know it's a simple matter. That's my point.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:11 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I really don't understand why this mod is suddenly a phenomena
Are you all that thirsty

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:07 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I really don't understand why this mod is suddenly a phenomena
Are you all that thirsty
you don't even know

o1chCq8.jpg

good thing Modcon 2016 is currently underway

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:20 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
That's too much trouble for something I haven't enjoyed so far. And yes, I know it's a simple matter. That's my point.
Sorry, I had an issue with my .pxa files. It'll be a while until my next release, since I'm working on another mod for the contest. I won't tell you that much about it but I'll tell you that since it's a contest for originality, I completely changed the game type from a platformer to a tower defense type game.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:28 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
View attachment 3127
EDIT: Oh, great. Now I'm stuck because I lost the lvl3 Machine Gun.
Wait. Sorry. I made the night spirit entity do damage, and you took damage before it came down. I'll move it down later, but it'll be a while until the next update.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
So uh...
Minor update...?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocy90u5gy0exx6s/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.8.zip?dl=0
+ Hard mode now starts you off with max armor points; blocking 5/6 of the damage.
+ Armor now is slightly more randomised, and the RNG favours the player over the entities more now, meaning that things will now do even less damage when you have armor.
Because of the new randomisation function, on hard mode the regular spikes now usually deal only 1 damage because of the tendency to round down. This will make hard mode a lot more doable now.
- New boss - Red Crow, appears after player collects first armor capsule. If you can't beat it, you can always go get the Machine Gun first
+- New enemy - Rainbow Polish, has a lot more HP (480, dec), and splits into 1,024 (dec) Red Baby Polishes upon death
- Rainbow Polish, Red Polish, and Red Baby Polishes all now have a chance to deflect bullets with their spinning blades.
+- Max entity limit increased to 4,096 (dec)
+ Max bullet limit increased to 512 (dec)
+ Minor fixups
EDIT: Another fixup update, https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuhl2xtqzi95jjn/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.9.zip?dl=0
+ Red Crow now renamed 'Blood Crow'
+ Blood Crow now acts differently from regular Crows; will attempt to fly upwards when hit instead of plummeting down to the ground, will not keep being aggravated at the player, as well as firing an 100% accurate stream of Red Bones constantly at the player.
+ Made slight edits to some maps
EDIT: Third update, https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox6x0dx5cl3rbwp/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.10.zip?dl=0
- Blood Crow's behaviour pattern is now randomised, although it still sometimes acts like the regular Crow.
+ Blood Crow's health reduced by 50%
+- Blood Crow's bones are now set to have a slight inaccuracy
- Blood Crow will now actively attempt to dodge bullets, and also it only takes 1/2 the damage from most attacks.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
are there any secrets?
I dont know if i should take that machine gun in the chest or not

also I had to make myself fly out of the parrot guy fight because after i beat it i was trapped...

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:12 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
are there any secrets?
I dont know if i should take that machine gun in the chest or not

also I had to make myself fly out of the parrot guy fight because after i beat it i was trapped...
Yeah currently the mod's under major development, so it's recommended that you don't play it until after the next update. If you do insist on continuing, my advise is to take the machine gun.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Started this yesterday and so far it's great (very Kaizo Mario-esque) but I'm stuck in Labrynth H. I got the Booster, but the final door just loops me back to the previous door and every other door goes back to the previous zone. Is there some trick to this?

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:39 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Started this yesterday and so far it's great (very Kaizo Mario-esque) but I'm stuck in Labrynth H. I got the Booster, but the final door just loops me back to the previous door and every other door goes back to the previous zone. Is there some trick to this?
There's meant to be a little hint that's missing (Will come in the next update) that tells you to follow the green starboxes. Currently this mod is largely unfinished and lacking in many aspects, which is why it's taking so long for me to release the next update. Sorry.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There's meant to be a little hint that's missing (Will come in the next update) that tells you to follow the green starboxes. Currently this mod is largely unfinished and lacking in many aspects, which is why it's taking so long for me to release the next update. Sorry.

No, I reached the door at the top left where the last bit of green star boxes are, but upon entering it, I exit from the door with the destroyed robot next to it.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:36 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
No, I reached the door at the top left where the last bit of green star boxes are, but upon entering it, I exit from the door with the destroyed robot next to it.
The point is, you have to KEEP following the path with green starboxes, and not any other colour.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The point is, you have to KEEP following the path with green starboxes, and not any other colour.

I thought that's what I've been doing, but at this point I have no idea.

1.) Go to the door on the bottom level with green star boxes.
2.) Go through the narrow path on the middle level with green star boxes.
3.) Go to the door on the top level with green star boxes.

and it loops me back.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:56 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
I thought that's what I've been doing, but at this point I have no idea.

1.) Go to the door on the bottom level with green star boxes.
2.) Go through the narrow path on the middle level with green star boxes.
3.) Go to the door on the top level with green star boxes.

and it loops me back.
It works for me... it's what you're meant to do. I've never had any trouble doing that level... I have no idea why it wouldn't work for you
EDIT: It is supposed to send you back after the first time you collect the booster; that might be the reason.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2017 at 1:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It works for me... it's what you're meant to do. I've never had any trouble doing that level... I have no idea why it wouldn't work for you
EDIT: It is supposed to send you back after the first time you collect the booster; that might be the reason.

Okay, I started over and didn't take the Booster this time and it worked. So, taking the Booster was keeping me from advancing any further. Now, I keep getting stuck on a specific block in the Waterway:

p357892-0-vgzf5g3.png

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2017 at 6:22 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Okay, I started over and didn't take the Booster this time and it worked. So, taking the Booster was keeping me from advancing any further. Now, I keep getting stuck on a specific block in the Waterway:

p357892-0-vgzf5g3.png
No, you're not meant to go past into the Waterway. I removed that section of the mod, so it was probably a glitch that let you in there in the first place.
Also, for Labyrinth H, you're supposed to get the booster, exit the level (and possibly save the game) and then do the level again.
By the way, you've finished that version of the mod, so it's probably a good idea to stop playing further because it just gets more cancerous past waterway.

Last edited: