Cave Story - Rise of Ballos

What do you think of this mod, and why? Please tick only 1 of the first 5, and please don't troll.

• 5/5, Really good

• 4/5, Somewhat good

• 3/5, Neither good nor bad

• 2/5, Somewhat bad

• 1/5, Really bad

• ============= # This is just a space between choices, please do not tick this # =============

• Needs better/more music

• Needs better sprites

• Needs more asm

• Needs more levels

• Needs to be easier

• Needs to be harder

• Needs clearer storyline

• Needs more work on level design

• Needs more dialogue/characters

• Needs less bugs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 18, 2016 at 4:51 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
I facefucked it with missiles from a level 3 hidden weapon that I had to grind to level up before stepping in the boss room. The rainbow critter boss is not something you can justify as fair.

Thomas giving me hints on how to get past enemies does not take away the fact that in the very likely scenario you get hit by one tiny projectile in a sea of enemies and bullshit, you have a very good chance of losing your balance and falling into a bottomless pit with minimal chance of recovery.
The red critters not being able to change their direction in mid-air made virtually no difference in Above Grasstown or any other map for that matter. More often than not, they are still able to shoot you or collide with you.

I also like how you ignored the whole "Doors was nearly most of the time even with 50 armor" bit.
I've already made a copy of the red critter projectile; their projectiles will no longer be solid following the next update. The green critter damage has also been halved. I also mentioned that I have fixed the rainbow critter as well. The rainbow critter is possible to defeat with only about 10 missiles, providing that you are accurate with them. Even if you do run out of missiles, there's always the level 3 blade, which, because of the multiple blades spawned, can do about 200 damage per hit to enemies.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:02 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I've already made a copy of the red critter projectile; their projectiles will no longer be solid following the next update. The green critter damage has also been halved. I also mentioned that I have fixed the rainbow critter as well. The rainbow critter is possible to defeat with only about 10 missiles, providing that you are accurate with them. Even if you do run out of missiles, there's always the level 3 blade, which, because of the multiple blades spawned, can do about 200 damage per hit to enemies.
Yeah. Ten Level 3 missiles when it's entirely possible to miss thanks to how random Rainbow Critters' jumps are. You're also hinging on the player having Level 3 weapons when it's entirely possible to not have that kind of firepower. Cave Story bosses may have been harder to fight with Level 1/2 weapons instead of Level 3, but they were at least possible. Your bosses (hell, even your enemies) are nearly impossible to beat with anything that isn't Level 3.

Also, can you stop trying to justify the Rainbow Critter being so damn overpowered? A moving enemy with variable jump heights and distances should never, ever, ever get the ability to oneshot the player on contact.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:06 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Yeah. Ten Level 3 missiles when it's entirely possible to miss thanks to how random Rainbow Critters' jumps are. You're also hinging on the player having Level 3 weapons when it's entirely possible to not have that kind of firepower. Cave Story bosses may have been harder to fight with Level 1/2 weapons instead of Level 3, but they were at least possible. Your bosses (hell, even your enemies) are nearly impossible to beat with anything that isn't Level 3.

Also, can you stop trying to justify the Rainbow Critter being so damn overpowered? A moving enemy with variable jump heights and distances should never, ever, ever get the ability to oneshot the player on contact.

Then what kind of damage would be justified? 20? 30? 10?

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:10 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Then what kind of damage would be justified? 20? 30? 10?
Something that isn't in the quadruple digits for starters. This would have been so much easier to balance if you didn't inflate everything's damage/health values, but no, gotta make everything bigger.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:40 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Oh yeah, just saying, would you say that this design is still bad? Coz I can remove that part entirely if it's still bad

Attachments

• Fake blocks.PNG
    Fake blocks.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 7
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:53 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Oh yeah, just saying, would you say that this design is still bad? Coz I can remove that part entirely if it's still bad
It was bad to begin with and is still bad now. All you did was remove a few fake blocks.

What I said is that without the fake blocks it becomes a massive waste of time with no challenge. With the fake blocks, it's a load of bullshit difficulty and tediousness, but without them it just becomes "jump up over several walls and then fall down several more while not touching spikes." It slows down the player's progress for no reason other than "no fun allowed."
Block "puzzles" were never fun and will never be fun.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:00 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
It was bad to begin with and is still bad now. All you did was remove a few fake blocks.

Block "puzzles" were never fun and will never be fun.
OKAY OKAY OKAY
I only wanted your opinion on that

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:04 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So I'm doing a hard run.

Red critters are the bane of my existence as of now. Lower their aggro distance or add some sort of drop off to their shots. Just a suggestion.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:15 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
So I'm doing a hard run.

Red critters are the bane of my existence as of now. Lower their aggro distance or add some sort of drop off to their shots. Just a suggestion.
Nah, the hard mode was supposed to be a joke. Don't do it unless you're really, REALLY good
But the drop off is actually a pretty good idea. I might do that, in fact. But maybe that combined with them no longer being solid might make the shots too easy.
EDIT: I just want to see what you guys think of this current version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqbi7uy79vjet0d/Rise of Ballos_v0.8.1.5.zip?dl=0
I did make the critter projectiles (only the red critters' ones) have gravity, fyi

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 7:59 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Jun 18, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
It's a Cave Story mod.
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/mimiga-story-metal-paws.3483/
Of course, the mod is anchient, and the "replacement download" doesn't actually work propperly because they fucked up the BBCode. Here's the DL: dl.dropbox.com/u/42853625/Permanent/Mimiga%20Story%20-%20Metal%20Paws.zip
K.
why does the northern star have ammo again
it makes it worthless
It might seem useless for fighting enemies, but its damage has been doubled, and its invaluable ability to both go through walls and break starblocks makes it the best weapon against Omega II.

Oh yeah, and I just updated the mod again, so if you're playing it, you should update it as I fixed map data issues. I haven't changed any flags or anything, so you don't need to restart.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p81f5kekcobkar/Rise_of_Ballos_v0.8.1.6.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 12:26 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I decided to give it a fourth(I think) chance, and I already am disappointed with the absence of first cave, honestly.
Also consider an option to skip the intro, it gets a bit boring after seeing it a few times.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:27 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
I decided to give it a fourth(I think) chance, and I already am disappointed with the absence of first cave, honestly.
Also consider an option to skip the intro, it gets a bit boring after seeing it a few times.
Wait. You're actually DISAPPOINTED at the absence of the first cave?
That was one of the main reasons people hated my mod for the start being too difficult.
EDIT: oh yeah, and since I just updated it again, you'd better update your version as well. I added an option to skip intro as well.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
That was one of the main reasons people hated my mod for the start being too difficult.
Have you actually ever listened to why people hated it?

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
Have you actually ever listened to why people hated it?
Yes, and in fact, that was my intention of making First Cave like that. It's either I put it away for a later level as a different character, or I delete it altogether. The level was designed to be like that.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
p216730-0-vcyrtd0.png

Do you think I won the fight against that critter to the left?
I didn't. It just rushed me and sat on me because the "flamethrower" is a peashooter.

I would like the machine gun to either have a bigger hitbox or at least do 2-3 damage.

Also, those red critter bullets seem to dodge right past the level 3 knife attack.

This has a real RPG feel to it.
p216730-1-yopc5bh.png
That TAS level jump right there.
Rename hard-mode to TAS mode please.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Yes, and in fact, that was my intention of making First Cave like that. It's either I put it away for a later level as a different character, or I delete it altogether. The level was designed to be like that.
Intentionally shit design is still shit design.