Cave Story: Rebirth of Quote

May 18, 2010 at 12:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is still in the first levels of development, but a few friends and I are working on something of a "Sequel" to Cave Story. This story takes place with a new protagonist and strange new enemies. Also, it takes place after you get the "Best Ending", but even if you don't it would still make sense... So there are no spoilers, really. If you want more detail, just comment and I'll give you the main concept of the first part of the storyline.

EDIT: here's the storyline! Enjoy, and please comment on any holes in the story.

After finally finding a place to stay, Quote, Curly and Balrog land on the surface near a Church. The time spent there was soon ended by Misery.

Misery, who was cursed by the red crystal was going insane. The only thing she could think of to save herself from The Doctor’s corrupt Red Crystal was to be encased inside it. After forcing herself inside, the Cthulhu attempted to destroy Misery and the Red Crystal through a sacrifice of a pure-hearted female specimen.

As they searched, they stumbled upon the only humans (who weren’t Cthulhu) on the island. They brought them back to the top of the island to where Misery was imprisoned. Natalie, who was the sacrifice was chained and tied up under the red crystal.

Alton, Natalie’s husband, was forced to watch. No matter how much they cried and pleaded to the Cthulhu, the wouldn’t stop. They thought it their responsibility to destroy anything that could harm the floating island. While being forced to watch the murder of his beloved, he had sworn a pact of vengeance against the Cthulhu. The Crystal was thrust into Natalie’s throat and thus, she ceased to live.

Something had gone awry, though. It appeared Misery was not destroyed at all. In fact, she seemed even stronger. Her body appeared to be glowing with the very essence of life. Even if she had been evil, she seemed somewhat... human for only a moment.

After an unsuccessful attempt to destroy Misery, they had hoped to give up and walk away from this. But suddenly, one of the Cthulhu took off his hood. He had appeared to looked like the Doctor. He could not hesitate for an instant, for if he did he could not free Misery from her confinements. He could think of nothing more than to have powers beyond that of the red crystal. Although, this would come at a price.

As he smashed himself into the crystal, he dematerialized and merged with it once again. There was a bright flash of light that dazed and wiped everyone’s memories. Misery, now free and still frenzied, decided to teleport everyone away. As they were teleported down to the surface, Misery decided to fly/move to new objectives. She wanted destroy the island that had cursed her two times before. As all the memories that Misery had of that old place shattered and fell to the ground, she could only think of her “Punching Bag” Balrog, who she had always loathed.

Chaco, who was the only one not scorched by Misery’s flames, was the only remaining Mimiga. Quote, Curly and Balrog were very unsuspecting of Misery’s hatred. They had spent their enjoyment on the beach. After a month of searching, she had nearly given up. She decided to go to the beach as the last place to check. She found them lying in a cave (You've seen those little hollow caves in beaches, right? They're nice and shady, and a perfect place to nap if there isn't anything already in there) sleeping, and quickly and rashly punished them.

Dismantling Quote, destroying Balrog, and turning Curly into a human. She uttered a sound of triumph. Deciding that the only thing to do now would be to take shelter, Curly ran to Chaco (who was now working at a shack on the beach) for help. Chaco had met up with Alton a little while before, and had decided to be a friend of his. She learned of the predicament in which Misery was forcing them into and thus, they tried to sneak up and kill Misery.

Elsewhere, in a musty, small house… A silhouetted figure awakes and emerges from the shadows. As he gets up he gets shocked from the sky above. While being electrocuted, he sees his life flash before his eyes. (the flashback is playable) He goes on a trance, and remembers! He remembers everything, from the space station to the sweet grass he once begged to smell again. He could think of only one thing now… the murder of his beloved wife, Natalie.

He had sworn a pact of vengeance on the clan of Cthulhu for murdering her without hesitation. They told him it was a “Sacrifice for the greater good”, but he couldn’t believe them. As soon as he had woken from the trance, Chaco burst in with Curly. Curly promptly gives him a Pistol and the quest begins.

Elsewhere, Misery is scattering Quotes parts with the help of the newly brainwashed and memory-wiped Cthulhu. They told her the exact locations to put them so that it would be a near-impossible task to save him. From somewhere inside Misery’s heart she hears, “Tut-Tut-Tut, do you really think that will help you? After all, our souls have merged together. You cannot hold me down forever!”

The new features will be innovative story lines, multiple objectives, all new weapons and gadgets and a few new antagonists. Just for the heck of it, I might create quite a few chains of endings and try to make things you do beforehand effect you later. (Pretty much adding things you do to effect the ending)

Also, I've decided that the military will be against Alton and ally with Misery to save themselves. Another thing to consider is this can be modified. Please read the third comment, as it contains the prologue to this mod.

Thanks to Rysmugen and Rashno for their co-creation and ideas in this project. You two are most appreciated. If you would be so kind as to write a comment criticizing my work at the bottom, I would be most thankful (:

UPDATE: I've finished weapon sprites, nearly finished protagonist sprites, started developing test levels (to gauge the weapon's abilities and powers) started working on level up sprites and have started to make(Not make, as much as edit...) a background and collision system, and have furthered the storyline. I'm not gonna post the storyline though, because I want you guys to get more excited for the first demo!

UPDATE(Again...): For anyone experienced with Sue's Workshop, Rashno wants to wait until the next SW come out to start working on the project itself. Thus, I because a little "twitchy" until it could come out. I eventually gave up on it coming out and am asking for the help of a few scripters and critics for their views on the storyline, adding in the weapons, that sorta thing. I'm not great with SW but I was good enough to make a basic test-run for things like minor enemy A.I. and weapons and whatnot. If you want to use E-Mail, my address is Amillionsuns@yahoo.com and if you want to use Skype, (more preferable) my skype name is MyDeathSymphony (Named after megadeth lyrics :D) Anyone who wants to work on the project will be very appreciated. P.S. I added more WTF factor to the game to try to lighten the mood from the obvious tragedy-esque story.

May 18, 2010 at 1:42 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
More detail please. :D

May 18, 2010 at 1:49 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
There are about a million and a half attempted Cave story sequels out there, so yours should probably have some unique aspect if you want your mod to stand out.

New protagonist idea sounds nice, but there's really not much other information that you've given to comment on. If some hints as to what the story could be like were given, that'd be great.

May 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alright, so here's the story... After finally finding a place to stay, Quote, Curly and Balrog land on the surface near a Church. The time spent there was soon ended by Misery. Misery, who was cursed by the red crystal was going insane. After being trapped within the crystal, the Cthuhlu successfully free Misery from her confinements. The did so however, with a price. The had murdered Alton's (Protagonist) wife, Natalie. While being forced to watch, he had sworn a pact of vengeance against the Cthuhlu. Misery caught word of this and completely drained him of memories. As he was teleported back to his home (With the help of Misery, yet again...), Misery decided to destroy the island that had cursed her twice before. After successfully destroying it only Chaco remained of the Mimigas. Quote, Curly and Balrog were her next targets. After about a month of searching she found them and rashly punished them. Dismantling Quote, destroying Balrog, and turning Curly into a human. Deciding that the best thing to do would be to take shelter, Curly ran to Chaco for help. Chaco had met up with Alton a little while before, and had felt quite bad for him. Thus, they tried to find him to kill Misery. (I'm moving on to the first paragraph that started it all. This will be from the perspective of Dust without any knowledge prior.) In a musty, small house… A silhouetted figure awakes and emerges from the shadows. As he gets up he gets shocked from nowhere at all! As he is electrocuted, he sees his life flash before him (the flashback is playable) and he goes on a trans… and remembers! He remembers everything, from the space station to the sweet grass he once smelled. He could think of only one thing now… the murder of his beloved wife, Natalie. He had sworn a pact of vengeance on the clan of Cthuhlu for murdering her without hesitation. They said it was a “Sacrifice for the greater good”, but the man couldn’t believe them. As soon as he had woken from the trans(or trance, you tell me which you like), Chaco burst in with Curly. Curly promptly gives him a Pistol and the quest begins (I'm working on more of the story right now... but that's basically the prologue)

May 18, 2010 at 2:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay, I added more detail near the bottom

May 18, 2010 at 7:22 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Dismantling Quote, destroying Balrog, and turning Curly into a human. Deciding that the best thing to do would be to take shelter, Curly ran to Chaco for help. Chaco had met up with Alton a little while before, and had felt quite bad for him. Thus, they tried to find him to kill Misery. (I'm moving on to the first paragraph that started it all. This will be from the perspective of Dust without any knowledge prior.) In a musty, small house… A silhouetted figure awakes and emerges from the shadows. As he gets up he gets shocked from nowhere at all! As he is electrocuted, he sees his life flash before him (the flashback is playable) and he goes on a trans… and remembers! He remembers everything, from the space station to the sweet grass he once smelled. He could think of only one thing now… the murder of his beloved wife, Natalie. He had sworn a pact of vengeance on the clan of Cthuhlu for murdering her without hesitation. They said it was a “Sacrifice for the greater good”, but the man couldn’t believe them. As soon as he had woken from the trans(or trance, you tell me which you like), Chaco burst in with Curly. Curly promptly gives him a Pistol and the quest begins (I'm working on more of the story right now... but that's basically the prologue)

Awesome!

May 19, 2010 at 5:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
One problem with this story though. The the island's human inhabitants (Cthulthu) would be unlikely to team up with with Misery due to her association with Miakid (the previous crown bearer) who killed a number of the island's human inhabitants. Unless of course they didn't know her association, but why would they help Misery destroy the home they had lived in for so long? Unless of course they didn't know that either and Misery is pointing the blame in order to use them for her goals. *shrug* But why would they free her?

Maybe instead of being trapped make it that Misery was free, but gradually became more insane over time (since the red crystal thing wouldn't make much sense with Ballos dead). Maybe you could say that some of Ballos' magic spiked across the link to Misery upon his death and imprinted part of himself into Misery's subconscious in an attempt to escape death, and that it slowly seeped into her concious mind (because Misery was sane and less evil in the best ending).

Also you haven't really explained the reason behind Natalie's death, which is important to the plot. Why not have Misery kill her in a blood ritual to gain the power to down the island as she "saves" the Cthulthu (via teleportation)? She can then blame the island's demise on Quote and/or the world governments, and with the Cthulthu thanking their saviour and hell bent on revenge against those supposedly resposible for downing the island they will unknowingly help the real perpetrator.

May 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Okay Andywhyisit, I've edited it to explain some of those problems, if not all. I kind of took away the adventure of Chaco and Curly, but I'm sure that isn't that big a problem. Here it is! It's at the top, so people can read it more easily. Also, sorry about not writing your full name. I had no clue you were a moderator. Thank you very much for reading about this mod, it's an honor!

May 20, 2010 at 11:55 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I would suggest you to add a few double-newlines at appropriate places to make the text easier to read, but neverhtless it's probably the most complex and advanced plot for a Cave Story mod I've read so far. Kudos!

But I must frown upon you for calling Andwhyisit Andy. Please show our moderators more respect.

May 20, 2010 at 7:42 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm sorry, I hadn't even realized that he was a moderator. I will show more respect to Moderators. Thank you for correcting me, Yal.