Cave Story randomly quitting on intel mac

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi,

I have been playing the mac version of Cave Story with and without the English patch on a MacBook Pro (with an intel processor) running Mac OS 10.4.5.
The game starts fine but then quits randomly during play. It is mostly impossible to play for more than 5 minutes without it quitting unexpectedly, rendering it pretty much unplayable.
I didn't find anything on this issue yet, so I assume it must be somehow related to the fact that the game must be emulated in Rosetta on intel macs.
Perhaps someone here is a bit more tech-savvy than me and can figure out whether there exists a quick fix or whether I have to wait for a universal binary version? I included the error report that I get when Cave Story shuts down as an attachment.

I would be really greatful if someone had some input of any kind that could help find a solution.

Phelics

Attachments

• error report.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 84
Mar 21, 2006 at 1:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think I just fixed it (sort of)

I just removed the "Org" folder from the game which contains the music and what I believe is the music player (not sure). Now I don't have any music in the game (sound is still there) but it doesn't seem to quit anymore. Perhaps the "Wave.dat" File in the "DRAM" Folder (in the "Org" folder) is somehow causing the game to quit unexcpectedly when it loads a new music title?

Phelics

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:03 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I can't speak for the mac users, but it seems that most problems people have been having with Cave Story stem from sound issues. So it would be plausible for that to be the cause of your troubles as well.