Cave Story: Quote's Memory {expansion}

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
I had an idea one day, "What if Quote ate the Ma Pignon instead of Curly?" So, I then thought how much this would change the game.

I figured that the only thing that would happen is that Quote would remember everything instead of Curly, and possibly you couldn't complete Sacred Grounds now.

I decided that something more could be done to that, so then I got the idea "What if Quote remembered everything, and you could actually play through the part of his memories?"

Basically, Quote would eat the Ma Pignon, and the screen would go black. This is where the modding takes place.

Quote has a flashback on how he got to the island, and how his adventure went, all the way to him and Curly defeating Miakid. All this would be an extra 4-6 hours of gameplay, and would give the backstory on how all this drama started.

Contents of the mod:
-Find out what happened to the Mimigas during the war, as well as find out more about Arthur, his battle with the giant red monster (maybe even changing the perspective to Arthur's view, thus being able to fight the monster as Arthur), also making the Beast Fang=explained.

-The origins of Miakid, how he got the crown, and what he did during his reign.

-A split plot, where there would be two alternate endings for the flashback: Just defeating Miakid which would be the "Normal Ending", and defeating Miakid and then finding a way to restore Curly's memory which would be the "Good Ending".

-Before fighting Miakid in the flashback, Misery caused Curly to lose her memory for the first time. There is sidequest you have to do along the way to Miakid's Throne to get to a Ma Pignon pack that is being held captive. It's then used on Curly, who gets her memory back. She suggest that you take another, just in case, before setting them all free. It's would be very hard to do though, since it's the "Good Ending".
However, if you get the Ma Pignon, you remember you're carrying one once you return back to the present out of the flashback. You give it to Curly, she gets her memory back again, and you are able to complete the Sacred Grounds.
If you don't complete the sidequest to get the Ma Pignon though, you cannot get to the Sacred Grounds back in the present. However, Curly will still help you fight Miakid during the flashback.

-Misery is guarding the throne like in the original, and you have to defeat her. You then fight Miakid, the final boss. It's a three part boss battle, but since Miakid didn't get the Red Crystal the fight would be different than fighting the Doctor.
After the Miakid is defeated, Quote and Curly think it's finally over. However, we all know that the Demon Crown will still exist as long as Ballos is alive, and since Quote and Curly don't fight Ballos or even know of him in the past, Misery and Balrog still don't have free will.
Misery destroys both Quote's and Curly's memories, and teleports them as far apart from each other as possible. Curly ends up in the Sand Zone, and Quote ends up in the First Cave. Quote is somehow deactivated, and then reactivates back at the beginning of the game (I'm not really sure how this would work out yet.).

-Once all this is over, the flashback ends. You then go back to the original game and play through it. If you got the Ma Pignon, Curly would give you the Iron Bond and you are able to go to the Sacred Grounds.

Well, that's my idea. It needs some work to it and needs to be more fleshed out, as well as being given more plot and what would happen during the flashback part, so if anyone has any ideas post them here.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:03 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wait. Is this only an idea, or is it a mod you're working on?

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM
Been here way too long...
Looks like an idea to moi.

I have a few ideas for this, but alas, I have to go to the hardware store now, so I'll drop by later and tell you them then. This is pretty sweet, I recall having the same thought once, but not to this extent.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:51 PM
"Huzzah!"
Yeah, this is only an idea, I don't know how to make a mod. I looks too complicated, I couldn't even figure out Sue's Workshop.

And thanks, if you have any ideas, post them when you can.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This is a good idea. For one, it's a story that takes place in memory as well as reality, which is nice (sorta like a game that takes place during the protagonist's dreams, or whatever).

Playing from the perspective of Arthur for a short time seems good too. It would be possible to do that with the mimiga mask (change mimiga mask to Arthur's sprites)

Also, if you don't know how to mod yet, check out DB's website.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:09 PM
Hoxtilicious
Apr 10, 2010 at 9:35 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
No, it's an idea thread. The original post simply has a handful of disjoint and barely fleshed-out ideas, really.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM
"Huzzah!"
Yeah, sorry about that, I didn't really know what else to call it at the moment.

@carrotlord: Even if I figured out how to mod, I wouldn't have enough time for it. I'm busy with another community I'm in and have some devotions too, and with real life stuff as well.
And for the part about Arthur, I was thinking instead of using Mimiga Mask, why not just have a sprite change for it? If this were ever to be a mod, King's Story Arthur sprite could work, if I got permission for it. Though it would probably be really hard to have a complete sprite change from Quote to Arthur and then back to Quote.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
What's a sprite change?
I always thought Mimiga mask was by far the easiest method for a two-character swap.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM
"Huzzah!"
Then I guess I know absolutely nothing about modding then.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:41 PM
'S cool, you already said that.
Any new ideas, or...?

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wow, this is a great idea for a mod! If anyone ever implements it I'll start cumming everywhere but that's a different story...

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM
Keep it in your pants.
Please.

AS FAR AS THIS ACTUAL STORY GOES the most interesting thing for me would be fleshing Miakid out as a character. he was the coolest looking of all the statues, and if I recall, the only one sides Date who was human. Also, it would be very hard to avoid repetition between the flashbacks and RL, as IRL you would have to go up to the balcony (again) fight miza (again) and deal with some messed up sprites for the doctor (cuz he was miakid a tad ago). Then again, playing with the contrast between the two worlds (The crazed mimigas and red crystal) would be really, really cool. You might even be able to make Miakid out as benevolent, and a heartless human agency had tasked you to kill him because he had too much power.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:21 AM
"Huzzah!"
That was exactly what I was looking for, that'd be great for it.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I think Quote and Curly's backstory on the island is quite small compared to many other characters though.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I always thought that Kazuma's transmission woke Quote up....

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
That's the accepted interpretation of the line.