Cave Story+ - Quote sprite replacement causing sprites to turn blue.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:11 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
As the title suggests, I was trying to make a sprite replacement for quote to have a more personalized experience. However, after replacing the bmp file, All of Quote's sprites turned blue and also had the black parts of the sprite transparent.
.Screenshot (101).png
Screenshot (102).pngScreenshot (103).png
I believe this was caused due to a change made within the file when saved with Microsoft Paint, but I'm not sure what exactly was changed.
I've looked around the forums a bit and haven't found any similar experiences, and most sprite tutorials were made for the original version of the game.
I'm not that tech savvy, so if there is any information as to what is causing this, something really simple I missed, or a better program to use to make the edits, it would be highly appreciated.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:23 AM
"Huzzah!"
you saved the new files as .bmp, right? i've edited CS+ sprites before with no issue but i didn't use ms paint, i don't know enough about it to confirm whether that's the problem or not. i also didn't make a new image file, i edited the preexisting one and just saved changes directly.

also, cave story reads black as transparent - if you run a colour picker over the 'black' parts of sprites, you'll notice they're a very dark shade of blue/green/etc

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:31 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Don't use MS Paint. Unconfigured it will do stuff like this sometimes (has to do with the bits in bitmaps or something I'm not knowledgeable in it).

I personally use Paint.net ( https://www.getpaint.net/ ) and haven't had color pallette errors when saving .bmps with it. Most other paint programs should work though.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:02 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I mean, "Save As > 24-bit bitmap" is the most simple fix you can do if you really wanna still use MS Paint.

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I mean, "Save As > 24-bit bitmap" is the most simple fix you can do if you really wanna still use MS Paint.
That seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you everyone else for the responses. I'll download Paint.Net if I ever do something like this again. :)

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:02 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Now that you bring this up, I think I have some faint memory of encountering a glitch like this when I was playing around with CS+ sprites some years ago. Glad Serri's solution works for you, I do seem to recall it having to do with the bit depth of the image file and the game not liking that.

Last edited: