Cave Story Prequel

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The problem isn't the image format (well at least, mostly), it's the fact that the images are upscaled and blurry. It looks like they were scaled up in MS paint, and then had the background removed using the fill tool. I VERY strongly recommend going with the original very low-res sprites and scaling them up by the same proportions using an appropriate scaling filter (ie: one that doesn't blur the image in an attempt to make it look nice) I guess you wouldn't have to scale them if you could have an option to set the resolution of the whole game in 'clickteam fusion' or whatever it is you're using.

pretty sure I phrased 100% of what I was trying to say incorrectly, but meh. Hope this helps at least a little...?

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
jpegs are still shitty for this stuff though

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Please, just listen to what everyone here agrees with and
USE THE FUCKING PNG FORMAT
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just repeatedly jump out my second floor window until this miraculous change somehow occurs.

EDIT:
I apologize if the message above comes across as offensive or derogatory, but really man, it's not hard to use .png's!

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
It looks more like you took a screenshot from Cave Story, cut out the sprites, and pasted them into your game. In fact, I'm suddenly wondering why you're using MMF2 and not just making a mod for Cave Story, you don't seem like you're really adding anything that requires a new engine, considering you're going to use the beta music which is available in ORG form on the website.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM
War criminal
Not to mention, I've seen some games horrible made on Game Maker that show more effort put into them than in your game.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM
"Huzzah!"
Does MMF2 make some of this stuff hard? I've never used it. I've only used Game Maker for making games (well, I've also used QBasic in DOS, but yeah, lol, yay for Nibbles and Gorillas!), and it's easy to keep things aligned, plus there are no problems loading in sprites and scaling them in-game. You don't even have to change the sprite size. You can simply load in the original sprites and scale through some simple code or whatever. I'd be surprised if MMF2 couldn't do the same stuff, as it's pretty basic and useful.

My advice is just like everyone else: Get the original sprites from the original game. Open them up, then save them as PNG. Use those and it will be pretty. There has got to be a way to avoid that blur because other people have used MMF2 and their sprites don't blur. And if there is a way to set up a sort of grid in MMF2, find out how to avoid getting things out of place. I wish I could be of more help, but, like I said, I don't have MMF2. All I know is that it can do what you need it to.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM
It's not that MMF2 is hard, it's just that there's really no point to using it, since it's probably easier to just use Cave Story's engine.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Thatnamelessguy said:
It's not that MMF2 is hard, it's just that there's really no point to using it, since it's probably easier to just use Cave Story's engine.
Easier = Yes.
More freedom for creativity = No.

It depends on the scope of what you are making and your personal limitation to decide which option is the better.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:06 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I vote you rename this JPEG Story

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Perpetually out of it
Perhaps, one day,
JPEG Story will be revived...
But for now
No more...

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Technically, he can still work on it, he has his own website, it's just that no one's going to play it except me because I'll remember.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:51 PM
War criminal
JPEG Revived? NOOOO-

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:26 AM
Perpetually out of it
His website has an actual link, but considering the fact that I can almost guarantee you it has a virus or malware in some form or another, here's a link that's actually remotely safe.
For one, the original link leads to an incredibly suspicious site.
Secondly, it has an installer for an installer for the game.
Third, if you're running chrome while installing the game, expect some settings to be deleted.
Fourth and final, the installer is just really unnecessary and takes forever to install a 3MB application.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:43 AM
Perpetually out of it
My commentary's awful, the obvious one to watch is Dunc's.

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM
I will be impressed if the game has animation by the time it's done.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:14 PM
War criminal
Shh... Only one JPEG at a time

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Oh hey so my friend and I decided to try this out.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:14 AM
After seeing these 3 commentaries for "Quote Story" I almost want to make my own. All three were great and are quite possibly the best things only good things in this thread.