Cave Story Orchestrated! (rearranged for orchestra)

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. My friend and I are working on a project that is more than just recomposing the Cave Story music. Must be super secretive. My goal in orchestrating the music is not to do an exact copy of the music. I made some changes I thought would fit more into an orchestral setting. I am completely open to constructive critism,

Original melody is underlayed with pizzicato strings.Xylophone, while strings create a evolving melody overtop, with a catchy Timpani and snare rythm.
Song 1: Access (recomposed for orchestra)
http://soundcloud.co...ss-orchestrated

Song 2: Gestation (In progress)

Thanks for listening! :D

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Woa-ho-hooooo! This is great! Color me VERY impressed! :toroko2: cant wait to see more.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wow this is wicked dude, keep it up! I honestly have no criticism beyond a recommendation to stay as close to the originals' melodies as possible, that's what really made the CSWii port's music such a let down for me, the original was concealed. The music may have been pretty cool, but it felt remixed rather than reorchestrated.

Great work so far though.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
PrettyAwesome's friend here. We've got an awesome project in the works for you. I'm quite pleased at how the music is turning out do far. And don't worry; he runs his music by me before he finishes it. I'll keep him on the right track!

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Not much to contribute here other than saying this is great! I do love me some orchestrated music. I'd love to see more! (Call me unoriginal but I can't wait for moonsong)

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Personally, i didn't really like the original access. It can get really annoying real fast.
But your version is amazing

P.S. Where did you get a full scale orchestra??
P.P.S The instruments section sounds like a description of a dish in a fancy french restaurant.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I'd love to hear more.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
AWSOME! I honestly did not think people could ACTUALLY orchestrate access WELL, I would love to see moonsong after gestation, Yeah, so kill me for being unoriginal, I still like it.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM
daughter of chivalry
AWSOME! I honestly did not think people could ACTUALLY orchestrate access WELL, I would love to see moonsong after gestation, Yeah, so kill me for being unoriginal, I still like it.
Is there an echo in here, or is it just me? ._.

Anyway, i'd like to see how this is done too. How long did it take to make Access?

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow this is wicked dude, keep it up! I honestly have no criticism beyond a recommendation to stay as close to the originals' melodies as possible, that's what really made the CSWii port's music such a let down for me, the original was concealed. The music may have been pretty cool, but it felt remixed rather than reorchestrated.

Great work so far though.

I don't want to change it too much, but I don't like doing direct copies. It's just boring. I like to add my own flair.

Personally, i didn't really like the original access. It can get really annoying real fast.
But your version is amazing

P.S. Where did you get a full scale orchestra??
P.P.S The instruments section sounds like a description of a dish in a fancy french restaurant.

Thanks! I used FL Studio 10, Kontakt 4, EQWL Orchestra Gold, and Cinebrass.

All I can say is that your username is relevant to this thread.

No sir, you're pretty awesome!

Anyway, i'd like to see how this is done too. How long did it take to make Access?

To make it was relativly quick, about 8 hrs+ or so, in two sittings. Was easier for me because the melody was more simplistic.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
Wild Desu said:

PrettyAwesome said:
To amek it was relavily qucik, about 8 hrs+ or so, in teo sittings. Was easier for me because the meodly was more simplistic.

What I THINK WD is trying to say is that my post looked a lot like mine, not that there's an echo in the song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 19, 2012 at 3:18 AM
daughter of chivalry
Actually, they were answering my question on how long the song took :I Moving on....

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:21 AM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
Guess whos mind has just been blown by this? Also, would it be okay if I could add you as a friend... maybe?

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That was awesome. I can't wait until you do breakdown.

Seriously guys? Moonsong? It has been remixed enough times already.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It's magic!

You'll have your own remix CD if you keep it up :D

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Actually, you'll all hear Gestation and Mimiga Village next. With the exception of Plantation, all of the music will be done in the order you hear it as you go through the game. I think you'll like what we're doing with it!

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I'd like to hear Mimiga Village after Gestation; after all, it's the next song you can hear ingame.
I knew that you'd do it that way. I'm excited for Gestation, it's my favourite Cave Story song, and I don't think it gets enough love (or remixes!).