Cave Story + on PSP?

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi, i am new to the cave story forum, and i really enjoy it here! and i would like to know something...

I have been playing cave story + for a while now on my PC, and i have the PSP version of cave story on my Android device, so i would like to know: is there any way I can get to play cave story + on the go on psp? I bought the game, so i would like to play the + version on the go too.

Thanks ^-^

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:34 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
well considering it's the exact same game why not just play the regular PSP version

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
well considering it's the exact same game why not just play the regular PSP version
Well, the + version has some features that the regular PSP version doesn't have, for example: curly mode, multiple save files, New music, and such things

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Unfortunately you will need a 3ds to play CS+ on the go. Look for cave story on the eShop.

CS+ is a commercial game, and Nicalis isn't going to spend money on a devkit for a previous generation handheld. Hell, they aren't likely to even do it for the Vita given how Sony publically and prematurely dropped all first and second party support for their own handheld after two years of neglect despite a solid launch, and then announced that there would not be a successor, which spooked third parties something severe. Dick move Sony, even the death of the Dreamcast was handled better than this.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Unfortunately you will need a 3ds to play CS+ on the go. Look for cave story on the eShop.

CS+ is a commercial game, and Nicalis isn't going to spend money on a devkit for a previous generation handheld. Hell, they aren't likely to even do it for the Vita given how Sony publically and prematurely dropped all first and second party support for their own handheld after two years of neglect despite a solid launch, and then announced that there would not be a successor, which spooked third parties something severe. Dick move Sony, even the death of the Dreamcast was handled better than this.

Oh, ok, thanks :)

By the way, just wondering: do you know any mods for the PSP version of CS that makes it look like CS+ ? I think the sprites look better on the + version of the game, i don't mean adding everything from + etc, just a graphical upgrade to the sprites :p

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
By the way, just wondering: do you know any mods for the PSP version of CS that makes it look like CS+ ? I think the sprites look better on the + version of the game, i don't mean adding everything from + etc, just a graphical upgrade to the sprites :p

The sprites in CS+ are double the resolution of the sprites in regular CS, so you'd have hack the assembly of the PSP port (I think - not sure how PSP games work) in order to make the game support 2x resolution. AFAIK nobody has even begun to figure out how the PSP port works and what the different addresses hold.

You'd also have to import the CS+ sprites into the PSP game, although I'm sure that'd be child's play compared o the assembly hack.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2016 at 11:40 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The PSP doesn't have the minimum resolution required to pull that off (nor the 3ds). Maybe a Nintendo Switch port on the wiiware release will solve this down the line.

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, thank you all for the helpful replies, this thread can be locked to prevent future bumping, and because the question is already awnsered :3

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:53 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, forgot to mention: if there's no way to play cave story + on psp, is there a way to play it on mobile?

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:06 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
Oh, forgot to mention: if there's no way to play cave story + on psp, is there a way to play it on mobile?
Expect the same answer that was given to you about the CS+ on PSP question. Unless somehow, there's an emulator strong enough to support even a Windows OS that's available for mobile.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:08 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Expect the same answer that was given to you about the CS+ on PSP question. Unless somehow, there's an emulator strong enough to support even a Windows OS that's available for mobile.
Ok, thanks :)

I could try running it with the exagear emulator :p