Cave Story on Nintendo Switch

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:17 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
You are absolutely right that there are no levels, and that saying so would constitute a "lie," but I think the point is kind-of beyond that. NICALiS are just trying to overstate the content of Cave Story and what they've added to it.
I would like to argue that the Spur's only mechanical resemblance to the Polar Star is the fact that it uses one of its bullets. Besides this, the weapon is quite unique. I'm surprised nobody has argued that the Polar Star and the Machine Gun are mechanically similar enough to constitute them not both being unique.

Please do so.

Also Cave Story+ 'v1.0' didn't have Curly Story...
p359203-0-ngo74uj.png

Here is a link: http://cavestory.wikia.com/wiki/Daisuke_Amaya
And that's strange, maybe my memory is fooling me about the Machine Gun Challenge or I'm thinking of the second version?

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:49 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Looked at the citation for that, showed me this: https://www.destructoid.com/cave-st...-to-quit-working-with-publishers-275541.phtml
Doesn't mention shit about him not wanting to work with publishers again in the interview. *shrug*

I think whoever wrote that misunderstood the title of the citation "Cave Story creator on wanting to quit, working with publishers". They probably didn't see the comma, which could lead to some misunderstanding. Still, I'd like to find out how much Pixel makes from these re-releases.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:55 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Uh, it's exactly the same as what you get game-play wise when getting the 2nd ending. The only difference is that you don't have the booster, but you can simply turn it off anyway.
That isn’t relevant: the Boosterless run of normal Last Cave and the last bosses remains its own experience. Your logic is much like saying that a “hardcore” mode of a game which deletes your save file when you die is no different from the normal mode, because players could delete it themselves. The removal of choice (for example, the choice to equip the Booster for a single jump then say you didn’t need it) is what makes it distinct from a self-imposed challenge.

I'd say he never made a single yen.
Let’s not jump to hearsay and accusations, please.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:31 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
2. "New" is called "Cave Story+" no, even though the default music on the PC one, called Cave Story+, was remastered. But yeah the New tracks are shit. So... a confusing name for it?
The "Remastered" soundtrack was the CS3D soundtrack. They simply backported it to CS+ after the release of CS3D.

4. You can't use a PS3 controller on Switch, only Switch Pro Controllers. NICALiS has nothing to do with this.
Actually I've seen images of PC-compatible bluetooth controllers working with the Switch and with CS.

3. I agree. A little bit of changed dialogue and some new pictures on the credits is NOT an ending. I don't care what anyone says, as the Cave Story CREATOR even said there were only 3 endings. (I can give proof that he said this if you want.) So this was a MAJOR lie.
The Mimiga mask credit changes only took effect in CS+. You can argue that both Pixel and Nicalis are correct in this regard.

I'd say he never made a single yen.
He clearly got enough money from CS+ to quit his job and take up game development full time.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:57 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I could have sworn that they didn't start saying this until CS+, and that they actually used to say "3 endings" back when the Wiiware version was being released. I'm not entirely sure why NICALiS would change things on us like that, but it sure did help make my 4th ending hoax more convincing to some people.

I think they might've added it in to their description after "canonizing" it? Since in Cave Story+ when you get the Mimiga mask ending the ending CGs show the player in the mimiga mask instead of just his normal face.

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:44 AM
Based Member
I think they might've added it in to their description after "canonizing" it? Since in Cave Story+ when you get the Mimiga mask ending the ending CGs show the player in the mimiga mask instead of just his normal face.
If I'm not mistaken, the Wiiware version actually did have the altered credit art images. I'm not in a position to quickly check this, though, so I could be mistaken.

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If I'm not mistaken, the Wiiware version actually did have the altered credit art images. I'm not in a position to quickly check this, though, so I could be mistaken.
I have the original launch-day CSWii resources on hand and the mask variations are present. So you are correct.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The way characters smile on the switch version is kind of... creepy?

Cave Story+ for the switch just got the classic graphics pack!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:05 AM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Also, Since the wiiware all cave story+ releases has curly story. you are in the wrong menu for that

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM
It's best to quote people when their posts are further back in the thread, otherwise nobody knows what you're talking about. Lucky for you, I do.

I showed the wrong screen in that screenshot -- as always I aways do, I got mixed up between Curly Story and the Machine Gun Challenge. I'm pretty sure that version does have Curly Story; but I'll check tommorow... maybe.
Oops, sorry. On the topic of the classic graphics update, it's by far the best execution of it. all game modes now change, including curly story, so there is finally a classic quote face sprite

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:45 PM
Also, here's what the quote classic face sprite looks like2017081208390300-93FA958835AC3573C5186D5F5B0DB6B2.jpg

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:39 PM
That's just a nearest neighbor resize or the larger one.
Eh, it looks like a low resolution version of the remastered one, which is what it's supposed to be

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:16 PM
Yeah; but it's no different to what I can make by just downsizing the sprite. It's not really that special, is all.
Fair point. I also like how it doesn't include any lighting or water effects. I personally think they shouldnt've messed with the backgrounds

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:44 AM
A few weeks ago nicalis tweeted that the cave story 2p update was being submitted to noa but we have no further news

Last edited: