Cave Story on Nintendo Switch

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:24 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
technically they didn't lie about that last one, the game did get future updates ;3

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
-Calling 640x480 is akin to calling calling an old floppy “high-capacity.” It doesn't actually specify that the new graphics are 640x480 at all, which could be misleading.
-This hasn't been updated to mention the 'New' music. Not that the 'New' music is really worth mentioning, nor is this a lie.

-6 new play modes: Curly Story, Sanctuary Time Attack, Machine Gun Challenge, Nemesis Challenge, Boss Rush... that's it. And no, Wind Fortress is not new. Wind Fortress was over 5 years old when the game came out. Then again, calling Cury Story and the Sanctuary Time Attack 'new' is pretty dicey.

-USB controller compatibility: Doesn't like my PS3 controller. *shrug*

-15 levels to explore: 'levels' is apparently the best term you could think of. Not zones, stages, areas, regions, sectors... why'd you choose levels? Levels is the worst description you could give Cave Story's locations. But... are there really 15? First Cave/Mimiga Village, Egg Corridor, Village of Weeds, Sand Zone, Labyrinth, Labyritnh M, Waterway, Outer Wall, Plantation, Last Cave, Balcony/Balcony Tower, Hell/Seal Chamber. That's 12. If I was to be realistic I'd exclude the Waterway, Outer Wall and Labyrinth M; as they're not sufficiently large or different from their counter part. Guess you can get away with a lot when the terms you use are so vague.

-10 unique weapons: Nope! Polar Star, Fireball, Missile Launcher, Machine Gun, Snake, Bubbler, Blade, Spur, Nemesis. That's 9. Don't you even think of trying to tell me that the Super Missile Launcher is a unique weapon; because it's functionally identical to the Missile Launcher, besides the buffed stats. In addition, the game refers to it as being an upgrade.

-4 unique endings: No. No, no no. The alternate dialogue and credits pictures for wearing the mimiga mask to the sceond ending is NOT a unique ending. Because the ending itself is exactly the same. Sure there's some slightly different dialogue leading up to it, but that's not an ending. It's completely meaningless and changes the outcome of nothing.

-Future content updates: Cave Story+ has received no more than 2 updates, and they have not yet fixed the crippling issues. You cannot attain the Curse Broken achievement (because the internal name in the .DLL file it reads it from is wrong), viewing the leaderboards crashes the game (this also means the game crashes at the end of every challenge), the art team has overlooked many places where they have forgotten to double the resolutions of things (Boss Rush tilesets for one), there are quite a few issues with transparency, especially torugout Gaudi's sprites and in Quote's facepic, you look like Quote in the Machine Gun Challenge even though you're supposed to be Curly Brace, and sometimes when you walk into water slope tiles you inexplicably instantly drown.

Given some time I could list many more things, but I seriously need to go to sleep. I hope that this shows at least a little of how NICALiS need to update Cave Story+ to make it a more refined product. They keep supposedly wanting to fix such issues, but believing that it will ever happen is foolish, because NICALiS have proven to be extremely sleazy. They've gone out of their way to port Cave Story as many times as possible to milk as much money as they can out of 'their' IP; while adding or changing just enough of the content to keep fans happy and off the trail. And--in keeping with their reguar fashion of ignoring bad press and journalism (or in tyrone's case, sticking around just long enough to make the company look good at the expense of making seem like a dick)--Tyrone will never respond to this message that I spent an hour writing out.
It's not like they and NICALiS share my goal of improving Cave Story+; because if they did they would have fixed all of its issues in the over-5-year period since its release.

Thank you for (somehow) getting trough my massive post. I hope I can enjoy my rest now. Sorry I made you read so much, but I hope it was worth it!

-4 unique endings: technically minor differences make it a unique ending.
-future content updates: not a lie that they added future content updates.

Sorry man, 2/4 'lies' you brought up aren't really lies :/

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:37 PM
Professional Whatever
oh yeah tbf calling the mimiga ending variation a "unique ending" is absolute bs. you have three endings with varying paths, scenes and dialogue, and then you have a variation that's just some credit images or whatever pasted on to an existing ending.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:37 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
-10 unique weapons: Nope! Polar Star, Fireball, Missile Launcher, Machine Gun, Snake, Bubbler, Blade, Spur, Nemesis. That's 9. Don't you even think of trying to tell me that the Super Missile Launcher is a unique weapon; because it's functionally identical to the Missile Launcher, besides the buffed stats.
I mean there's always the whimsical star.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:38 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
You cannot attain the Curse Broken achievement (because the internal name in the .DLL file it reads it from is wrong)
Don't get me wrong, I agree that this is an issue, but the DLL doesn't really have anything to do with it: the internal name for the achievement differs between the game itself, and Steam's servers (Steam expects 'ENDBEST', but the game calls it 'ENDGOOD'). Yes, the DLL is used to communicate with Steam, but the actual 'ENDGOOD' string is stored within the game's EXE.

But yeah, it would be nice to see that fixed, if that 'future updates' thing actually holds up.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:30 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nothing “likes” a PS3 controller by default. They aren’t expected to be connected to Windows, really - that’s a platform thing and not game-specific. Steam supports the PS4 controllers, but “USB controller” in the context of PC games generally means support for the Xbox line or 3rd party ones.

-10 unique weapons: Nope! Polar Star, Fireball, Missile Launcher, Machine Gun, Snake, Bubbler, Blade, Spur, Nemesis. That's 9. Don't you even think of trying to tell me that the Super Missile Launcher is a unique weapon; because it's functionally identical to the Missile Launcher, besides the buffed stats.
I’m going to do just that. The incredible difference in bullet speed matters a lot in a game like this, and goes beyond “buffed stats” in my opinion! It isn’t original, but it's definitely distinct to use.

That aside, you do raise many good points, even if your tendency towards melodrama distracts from them a bit.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:16 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'm bored, so let's take a crack at this.

Calling 640x480 HD (I fixed this typo for you, zxin) is akin to calling calling an old floppy “high-capacity.” It doesn't actually specify that the new graphics are 640x480 at all, which could be misleading.
It's HD in comparison to the original graphics. I'm not sure how this is a lie or misleading, and it's not like people can't see screenshots of the game before they buy it anyways?

-6 new play modes: Curly Story, Sanctuary Time Attack, Machine Gun Challenge, Nemesis Challenge, Boss Rush... that's it. And no, Wind Fortress is not new. Wind Fortress was over 5 years old when the game came out. Then again, calling Cury Story and the Sanctuary Time Attack 'new' is pretty dicey.
These are new in comparison to the game's original release. Which I'm pretty sure is what the description is comparing it to for its entirety. So again, not really a lie?

-USB controller compatibility: Doesn't like my PS3 controller. *shrug*[/spoiler]
From my experience, nothing likes PS3 controllers unless you download some special software for them and even then it's tricky to get it to work if you can at all. Or in other words, the PS3 controller was never intended to have PC support, so why would Cave Story+ have support for it?

-15 levels to explore: 'levels' is apparently the best term you could think of. Not zones, stages, areas, regions, sectors... why'd you choose levels? Levels is the worst description you could give Cave Story's locations. But... are there really 15? First Cave/Mimiga Village, Egg Corridor, Village of Weeds, Sand Zone, Labyrinth, Labyritnh M, Waterway, Outer Wall, Plantation, Last Cave, Balcony/Balcony Tower, Hell/Seal Chamber. That's 12. If I was to be realistic I'd exclude the Waterway, Outer Wall and Labyrinth M; as they're not sufficiently large or different from their counter part. Guess you can get away with a lot when the terms you use are so vague.

I almost didn't bother commenting on this, but I figure I might as well. This is the pettiest thing to nitpick about, you're really grasping at straws to try and prove every point as a "lie".

I'd imagine if you wanted to get up to 15 you could split up first cave and mimiga village into their own areas, and also throw in "Egg corridor?" since it's pretty different after it's been destroyed. And there's 2 versions of the Last Cave.

-10 unique weapons: Nope! Polar Star, Fireball, Missile Launcher, Machine Gun, Snake, Bubbler, Blade, Spur, Nemesis. That's 9. Don't you even think of trying to tell me that the Super Missile Launcher is a unique weapon; because it's functionally identical to the Missile Launcher, besides the buffed stats. In addition, the game refers to it as being an upgrade.
This is entirely based on your opinion that the Super Missile Launcher isn't its own weapon, so again this isn't a lie.

-4 unique endings: No. No, no no. The alternate dialogue and credits pictures for wearing the mimiga mask to the sceond ending is NOT a unique ending. Because the ending itself is exactly the same. Sure there's some slightly different dialogue leading up to it, but that's not an ending. It's completely meaningless and changes the outcome of nothing.
The mimiga mask ending isn't that different from the normal one, but it's distinct enough that you would call it another ending. Just because it doesn't change the outcome of the plot doesn't make it not "unique".

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I mean, it usues the same weapon code.
Since the grasstown fans and the Lv3 Machine Gun share the same code they clearly are both weapons, but since the grasstown fans are sufficiently different we can count them as their own unique weapon. The 10th unique weapon is the grasstown fans. Problem solved guys.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yes, it is supposed to be that. However it is not really an ending, and this is one of the many lies in the CS+ blurb.
Ah, I figured it would be something questionable like that. They definitely stretched that one.

-Calling 640x480 is akin to calling calling an old floppy “high-capacity.” It doesn't actually specify that the new graphics are 640x480 at all, which could be misleading.

-This hasn't been updated to mention the 'New' music. Not that the 'New' music is really worth mentioning, nor is this a lie.

-Future content updates: Cave Story+ has received no more than 2 updates, and they have not yet fixed the crippling issues. You cannot attain the Curse Broken achievement (because the internal name in the .DLL file it reads it from is wrong), viewing the leaderboards crashes the game (this also means the game crashes at the end of every challenge), the art team has overlooked many places where they have forgotten to double the resolutions of things (Boss Rush tilesets for one), there are quite a few issues with transparency, especially torugout Gaudi's sprites and in Quote's facepic, you look like Quote in the Machine Gun Challenge even though you're supposed to be Curly Brace, and sometimes when you walk into water slope tiles you inexplicably instantly drown.

Given some time I could list many more things, but I seriously need to go to sleep. I hope that this shows at least a little of why NICALiS need to update Cave Story+ to make it a more refined product and port. They keep supposedly wanting to fix such issues, but believing that it will ever happen is foolish, because NICALiS have proven to be extremely sleazy. They've gone out of their way to port Cave Story as many times as possible to milk as much money as they can out of 'their' IP; while adding or changing just enough of the content to keep fans happy and off the trail. And--in keeping with their reguar fashion of ignoring bad press and journalism (or in tyrone's case, sticking around just long enough to make the company look good at the expense of making seem like a dick)--Tyrone will never respond to this message that I spent an hour writing out.
It's not like they and NICALiS share my goal of improving Cave Story+; because if they did they would have fixed all of its issues in the over-5-year period since its release.
Only time will prove me right.

Thank you for (somehow) getting trough my massive post. I hope I can enjoy my rest now. Sorry I made you read so much, but I hope it was worth it!
I don't have any experience with the Steam version, but a lot of that does sound rather skeevy. While I've been overall happy with the 3DS and Switch ports outside of their misleading marketing, I do feel Nicalis could do far more for the game considering their hope that we'll keep buying more ports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 4, 2017 at 12:51 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Since the grasstown fans and the Lv3 Machine Gun share the same code they clearly are both weapons, but since the grasstown fans are sufficiently different we can count them as their own unique weapon. The 10th unique weapon is the grasstown fans. Problem solved guys.
That would be code for propelling the player upward. The thing you're missing here is that the fans aren't weapons.
There are 10 weapons, just as NiCALiS states:
- The 2 missile launchers are the same weapon since they are one code.
- The bubblerine consists of 2 weapons since level 1 and levels 2 and 3 are completely different code that run seperately.

So yea, there are 11 weapons in the game, with the whimsical stars spawning thier respective bullets once a frame too.

One could possibly make the stretch that 11.5 weapons exist, since the bullets coming out of curly's nemesis is sorta seperate from the actual nemeis projectiles, hence why you can dual wield nemesis' without hitting the bullet cap prematurely. Overall I wouldn't put too much thought into it, just like how having little man with or without you can prove there are 4 + 3 = 7 (Seven) different endings, but its a mute point.

So that's why there are 10 weapons in the game.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That would be code for propelling the player upward. The thing you're missing here is that the fans aren't weapons.
Of course they are! If they share code with a weapon then they must be weapons. It is only logical. :p

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:25 AM
Based Member
I've always felt that that statement about "4 unique endings" was very dishonest, if not an outright lie. It's pretty much grasping at straws to count the Mimiga mask ending as a 4th ending. Pixel himself even says there are 3 endings, although admittedly NICALiS gets to call the shots these days since they own the rights to Cave Story. In any case, this is old news, NICALiS has been saying "4 unique endings" in every release since Cave Story+ for the PC in 2011, and this was discussed back then.

I could have sworn that they didn't start saying this until CS+, and that they actually used to say "3 endings" back when the Wiiware version was being released. I'm not entirely sure why NICALiS would change things on us like that, but it sure did help make my 4th ending hoax more convincing to some people.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The mask ending at least makes for a very different endgame experience, I think in that sense it's worth classifying as a thing-worth-being-found, even if it changes very little story wise

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:10 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

-6 new play modes: Curly Story, Sanctuary Time Attack, Machine Gun Challenge, Nemesis Challenge, Boss Rush... that's it. And no, Wind Fortress is not new. Wind Fortress was over 5 years old when the game came out. Then again, calling Curly Story and the Sanctuary Time Attack 'new' is pretty dicey.

Given some time I could list many more things, but I seriously need to go to sleep. I hope that this shows at least a little of why NICALiS need to update Cave Story+ to make it a more refined product and port. They keep supposedly wanting to fix such issues, but believing that it will ever happen is foolish, because NICALiS have proven to be extremely sleazy. They've gone out of their way to port Cave Story as many times as possible to milk as much money as they can out of 'their' IP; while adding or changing just enough of the content to keep fans happy and off the trail. And--in keeping with their reguar fashion of ignoring bad press and journalism (or in tyrone's case, sticking around just long enough to make the company look good at the expense of making seem like a dick)--Tyrone will never respond to this message that I spent an hour writing out.
Only time will prove me right.

Okay, let's go through this. I agree with most of what you said, but disagree with some.

Minor Issues:
1. Um... I don't understand what you are saying here. The game IS 640x480, just like the WiiWare one. However, in marketing, they called it "HD". Yes HD with quotation marks. It is NOT really HD. They put quotation marks to make to where it technically wasn't a lie, but most people would think that meant at least 720p. So I say it is a lie.

2. "New" is called "Cave Story+" no, even though the default music on the PC one, called Cave Story+, was remastered. But yeah the New tracks are shit. So... a confusing name for it?

3. New means not in the original game in this case, so yes it is new. So... not a lie.

4. You can't use a PS3 controller on Switch, only Switch Pro Controllers. NICALiS has nothing to do with this.

Major Issues:
1. I agree. There are zero LEVELS in Cave Story. This isn't Mario. So that was a lie.

2. By that logic then Spur isn't a unique weapon either, as it is also just an upgrade to the Polar Star. So that was NOT a lie.

3. I agree. A little bit of changed dialogue and some new pictures on the credits is NOT an ending. I don't care what anyone says, as the Cave Story CREATOR even said there were only 3 endings. (I can give proof that he said this if you want.) So this was a MAJOR lie.

4. Cave Story+ for PC is also broken on Linux. I have died many times with that drowning glitch and was like "What the hell?" It usually happens in the Reservoir in Mimiga Village. Ironically an update broke the Machine Gun challenge, if you play on v1.0, you actually do play as Curly. And the crashing is super annoying, I actually started thinking it was supposed to happen. The lack of care for CS+ for PC just shows the laziness of NICALiS, and all of the challenges except Wind Fortress were taken (with permission) from mod makers. I always thought they looked kind of slapped together from assets in the game. (no offense to mod makers). However, this is the Switch version we are talking about, and there is an update coming soon for local multiplayer. I highly doubt there will be any more updates though. So... To be determined if it's a lie or not?

And the post wasn't that long.

This doesn't have anything to do with your post, but I am also concerned with the amount of money Pixel is making from these ports, considering he said that he doesn't want to work with port makers in the future. (I can find the link where he said this if you want.) He probably only makes 5-10 percent of the cash from these.

Last edited: