Cave Story on Ipod Touch

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:08 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
DaPhinoXX said:
Also, the controls would be really really awkward on the touch.

How would you jump, shoot, and move at the same time?

It's called multitouch.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Jackwitherell said:
It's called multitouch.

That would just be annoying having to spam an attack by touching the screen multiple times.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Did any of of ever play a GBA emulator for the iOS or Android? I use Tiger GBA, but that's aside the point.

http://fs01.androidpit.info/ass/x51/488951-1274559981462.jpg

That's a picture of the screen layout, so you can see where I'm going. Use the same layout, like having left/right tilt for weapon switch, ect, ect. On a side note, why did Pixel frown upon ports, but has no beef with mods?

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM
"Huzzah!"
He frowned on ports?

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well I actually tried doing this. Ive managed to get Cave Story running on the iOS by expanding on how IDos works..
It runs slugish but the point is it runs, and a virtual joypad is implemented.. I may contact Pixel about this and ask if I can share it here as a demonstration of its potential...

Also with the release of Cave Story +, that may be able to be ported too, but it does seem to need more RAM than the original and I haven't gone into looking how much Nicalis manipulated the original code.

Don't get your hopes up too much but like I said before with a few tweaks this is possible. Maybe Pixel/Nicalis can expand on my work so far.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Was I of any help?

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No, this was a long time ago.
Like, two summers ago, iirc.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:43 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Guys, a touch version of Cave Story in its current form will probably never happen. Daisuke and I agree that Cave Story really needs a D-Pad and buttons to be enjoyed/played properly.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
I think most of us agree with you Tyrone :p
A virtual control setup would be so clunky for CS, it's just not meant to be. Sorry AI Long D:

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What about porting it to a GBA ROM? I know the bro who made the tribute site doesn't like Cave Story being compared to that, but given the 10-button controls, it would be another way to port it, and, a lot of systems have GBA emulators, like android.

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I know the bro who made the tribute site doesn't like Cave Story being compared to that
Yeah, I have no idea where that came from.

What about porting it to a GBA ROM? I know the bro who made the tribute site doesn't like Cave Story being compared to that, but given the 10-button controls, it would be another way to port it, and, a lot of systems have GBA emulators, like android.
There was a GBA port, which became a DS port, which was put on hold for the WiiWare release, which shall never be released now because of the DSiWare port. The releases for gba weren't in a playable state, they were little more than tech demos really.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
SkyeWelse used to have this speech on the site (conveniently, I can't find it now), where he frowned upon it . But if someone else failed to complete it (for whatever reason), wouldn't it be logically sound to pick up where whomever was making the port left off? And was it a ROM, or an actual cartridge?

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
No because no-one has the source code for it apart from Ravenworks, and he is respecting Pixel's wishes by not continuing development. Cave Story is closed source if you recall, and all unofficial ports had to be put on hold indefinitely to smooth things over with the big N for the release of the commercial ports. Thus no new unofficial ports can come about at the moment.

Here's the GBA demos btw:
http://cavestory.ravenworks.ca/organya.gba
http://cavestory.ravenworks.ca/mapTest.gba

I should probably relink them from the site.

Mar 4, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks! But if Cave Story is free, why would Nicalis care? Unless you put their music/graphix/levels in the port, I can't see how they'd have an issue..

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
By "the big N" I meant Nintendo.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Why would they care? I can see that they would frown upon free ports, but not why. Even more so with nintendo, I don't believe they were involved with any of the commercial ports. On a different note, what scripting language did pixel encode Cave Story with?

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
None, only a doof would write an entire platforming game in a scripting language

Pixel used C++ for Cave Story

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
A scripting language is run as-is by an interpreter (javascript,python,tsc), a programming language is compiled into (typically executable) machine code (c++,vb).

Then you have languages like php that confuse the matter by compiling into scripting languages or interpreted binaries. >_<

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have been wating for this topic. I would make it for jailbroken I-devices and us btstack, for use with wiimotes.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
-ahem- NX-Eninge I tried to port it... But I don't know C++ as much ^^"