Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I still think I have a few Wii points left, I need to get more. I'm really looking forward to playing the supposed "new" parts that are being added in, I was actually getting depressed once I had finished playing every ending of Cave Story.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:37 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I haven't heard of any "new" parts. Just updated pixels and downgraded music >_>

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:46 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jeeze!

Chaddykins said:
I haven't heard of any "new" parts. Just updated pixels and downgraded music >_>
Jeeze! They've only said it like a dozen times....!!
There's going to be a bunch of new DLC, which means they could keep coming out with new stuff, long after the first release :D

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heheh

Chaddykins said:
Where have they said this?
All over the Blog site.
I myself have repeated it a few times to people, when they keep whining about the lack of new content....
Don't forget to browse the slightly older news updates, Tyrone's said this himself....

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
"What ‘bonus content’ is there?
That’s a secret."

That's the only thing I could find on the matter, can you show me where someone said for sure that there would be some kind of DLC or new things that weren't in the original?

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:39 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heh...

I can't remember exactly where Tyrone said it, and I've got some other stuff to do, so I can't search myself XD

But, like that comment you found, they've said there's going to be DLC, but they won't say what it is.
Not that I'm complaining, I like surprises :D

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:48 AM
meep
Im hoping for new story branches and endings, like saving tokoro by not fighting her for a while so the flowers wear off or something.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:52 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmm

I know, let's start throwing ideas at what we'll think the new DLC will be! :D
Yakkers said:
Im hoping for new story branches and endings, like saving tokoro by not fighting her for a while so the flowers wear off or something.

I dun think it'll be new Story-Line, Cave Story's story was too complete as it is, I doubt Amaya will add anything more.
But I'm sure there will be some type of Boss Rush Mode....

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:55 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I hope there's some sort of "play as this person" DLC.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:09 AM
meep
VoidMage_Lowell said:
I know, let's start throwing ideas at what we'll think the new DLC will be! :D

I dun think it'll be new Story-Line, Cave Story's story was too complete as it is, I doubt Amaya will add anything more.
But I'm sure there will be some type of Boss Rush Mode....

Ah. Boss rush. That would be amazing. I have a save file before every boss in the game and this would be a hell of a lot easier.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:17 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
I can't remember exactly where Tyrone said it, and I've got some other stuff to do, so I can't search myself XD

But, like that comment you found, they've said there's going to be DLC, but they won't say what it is.
Not that I'm complaining, I like surprises :D

It doesn't involve DLC at all.
It could be new music.. a gallery or even the original Cavestory.
Proof me wrong with screenshots or GTFO.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:38 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Here

Here, some stuff straight off the blog, you pansies that can't search...
anguule Says:
May 13th, 2009 at 11:03 pm

I really am surprised that anyone could be criticizing the work that’s being put into this hugely respectful remake of a very deserving game. It’s not our right to judge how they’re handling things, even though they are doing an incredible job at it. We’re all being given this amazing chance to talk directly with the developers of the remake on this blog. They are in no way required to have set this up and keep us up to date with very common updates, but that’s exactly what they did. They’re giving us this great chance to talk with them and peek in on the development first-hand, and some of us are just throwing it in their faces. I for one think that we should be grateful that we got people who care so much about Amaya’s work. What if Cave Story was picked up by some nobodies who didn’t really care about doing a perfect job and released the game in December ‘08? Maybe they ported it over with no bugs or mistakes, just the same game put on WiiWare, not even giving us these “tiny scraps”. A lot of us would still be glad for Pixel, and happy that the game got the chance to go retail. But Nicalis took that many steps further! They’re asking Pixel to redraw all the art, they’re remaking the music, adding in DLC options and additional content, keeping us all up to date, informed, and entertained on this blog, all because they want to. I feel ashamed to call myself a fellow fan to anyone who thinks there’s any sense in criticizing what Nicalis is doing. I think this is an amazing opportunity for all of us, Pixel and Nicalis included.

Cave Story being ported directly to WiiWare is good enough reason for me to buy it. The fact that the entire game is being given a facelift with new content as well as having this blog available to us is an insane amount of effort topped with whipped cream.

..I don’t want to come off as yelling at people who are criticizing, I just firmly believe it’s wrong to not put our trust in the great amount of work that our fine friends are putting into this game. I, and I’m sure there are others, beg you to continue with the little teasers here and there, the progress reports and the entertaining off-topic posts. Cave Story on WiiWare will be done when it is perfect, of that I have no doubt.
Just look around the Blog, use the Find option, you guys aren't that helpless, are you? =P
{That's a challenge, not an insult}

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Schokobecher said:
It doesn't involve DLC at all.
It could be new music.. a gallery or even the original Cavestory.
Proof me wrong with screenshots or GTFO.

WTFork are you talking about?

http://nicalis.com/blog/2009/03/08/cave-story-update-crunch-time/

Pixel and I have been discussing what we have in mind for DLC. We have a few new ideas that I think you’ll like. On the artwork side, I’ve been going through each file, one by one in the game making sure that the new artwork appears just way it should. We’ve pushed a pixel here or there on a few files. Oh yeah, we’ve also been translating some interviews for Pixel–you might want to keep an eye on The Escapist and Tigsource very soon.

Also, I’ve spent some time working on the DLC support which Ty just mentioned, making sure that the game will be able to support all the new content that we have planned over the months following the initial release

THAT sure looks like Downloadable content to me. Or at least an announcement of it.

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:44 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Yeah THAT looks like it.
But the Things posted by the annoying Mage Guy didn't.

So ty for the correct Link :D

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM
Been here way too long...
oy, yakkers!
why do you have a save before every boss in the game?
there is a boss rush mod, ya know.

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:18 AM
meep
Lace said:
oy, yakkers!
why do you have a save before every boss in the game?
there is a boss rush mod, ya know.

Huh? You mean a mod someone made, I'm guessing. I can't use mods as far as I'm aware since I'm on Mac.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Yakkers said:
Huh? You mean a mod someone made, I'm guessing. I can't use mods as far as I'm aware since I'm on Mac.

the mac's cavestory curse...:)

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
More updates

During the long pause after the last update, the team's been hard at work as ever, and just now release some new updates.
Here's some of the stuff they've shown us:
Tiffany what are you up to?
“On the programming front I have more recently spent time tweaking the error handling for the Wii as well as putting the final touches on lotcheck. We are currently in the process of being approved for Nintendo’s Wi-Fi access for the DLC back end stuff. ”
There's more proof for those who don't believe in the DLC....
Let’s see, most of the hard stuff is done:
- Remix/original artwork
- Remix/original audio
- Three save files are working great
- Game is running beautifully at 60fps which was the originally intended speed! :D
By the way, did anyone notice that IGN awarded Cave Story something very special, best WiiWare game of E3:
Awesome.
They also gave us a new art comparison, this time it's Kazuma.
diph.php

He looks more bored to me...

Anyways, make sure to visit the blog site for more news...
{This was all just off the top}