Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Oct 2, 2008 at 9:42 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The sign in Hell's probably going to be censored/changed, butes &c will probably look different, and I now wish I had a Wii.

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Whee!ware!
Too bad i don't have a Wii.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wasn't that rumour disproved or something? Or is this for real this time?

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:54 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Well it seems that a bunch of articles are referencing it as being a WiiWare title that will be out around the Holiday Season, which I guess is December-January. I think it's actually happening, although I was just informed about it today. The word is that it will offer new content as well as the original game.

I wrote a "Congratulations" email to Pixel-san, so if he writes back not knowing anything about this, then it probably isn't true.

-SkyeWelse

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:45 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
*sigh*

I'm surprised nobody here posted the official press release from Nintendo:
{http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=16456}

For those too lazy to read it, here's the description from the release:
press.nintendo.com said:
...Cave Story: This title is an action-adventure game with new, exclusive content and features created only for the WiiWare version.

And notice that Cave Story is a "Key software" title! It's nice to see that the game has recognition from a place like Nintendo.

It's scheduled for this coming holiday season (2008). Anybody wanna guess how many points it'll cost, if any?

Also, who's going to be the publisher...? If it's Nintendo, I sure hope that the cast will appear in the next SSB!

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:29 AM
Appear in SSB, hahaha that's a good one!

I sure do hope that there's some EXTREEEEME new features. I don't want to buy something I already got for free, regardless of the challenge of changing from a keyboard to a wiimote. I doubt they'd censor out hell because, well, the only people who can get to it are people who already know the details on Cave Story-or really lucky people who for some reason don't drop down to see booster on their first try.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Leix said:
Appear in SSB
Hell YEAH! That would be awesome.

Leix said:
I don't want to buy something I already got for free
Who says it would cost money? And if it does, why not support Pixel?

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:44 AM
Leix said:
Appear in SSB, hahaha that's a good one!
Hey, the only requirement to appear in SSB is that a game from the series has to have been licensed by Nintendo. Just look at Snake, Sonic and others in Brawl. If Nintendo published the game themselves, the likelihood increases exponentially!

Leix said:
...the challenge of changing from a keyboard to a wiimote.
Would there be a challenge? I mean, Cave Story IS an 8-bit replica, so a control pad wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. (unless, you played the game with the keyboard every time!) Then again, mapping the keys on the Wii Remote would be odd since there isn't enough room for all buttons...

Leix said:
I doubt they'd censor out hell...
Unfortunately, this IS Nintendo we're talking about here. They're notorious for censorship, at least back in the day. We shouldn't have to worry about such things, though, especially if another publisher picks it up. (By the way, wasn't Grass Town originally called Weed Town; referring to the file names!)

andwhyisit said:
Who says it would cost money? And if it does, why not support Pixel?
The likelihood of Cave Story costing money would unfortunately be somewhat high because of added content exclusive for WiiWare. As long as Mr. Amaya gets his share, I'll be glad to support the cause! The man deserves some compensation for working on a game by himself for five years!

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:41 PM
dqle said:
appear in the next SSB!

NEW CHALLENGER

*instant fiery bladespam death*

Yeah, maybe too uber. And he'd probably just be a remake of Samus...

(going by Gamecube controls)
B: Use current weapon
Side-B:Fire ze missiles
Down-B: Weapon Switch (switches the first weapon with something else)
He also gets experience from fighting.

*insert awesome picture of SSB with Quote in it*

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Heh, I wonder if Pixel predicted this when he released it four years ago :rolleyes:
Not really sure what to say/think yet aside from "Please for the love of God don't muck it up". Doesn't really affect me anyway seeing as I don't own/don't really intend on getting a Wii.
Please don't muck it up ;_;

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
@SkyeWelse- Please tell if he responds back and what he says >_>

I'm very curious about this whole thing, and whether or not Pixel knows, etc.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:03 PM
I'm pretty sure he knows... there's a link to the official announcement on his website :rolleyes:

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:34 AM
dqle said:
Hey, the only requirement to appear in SSB is that a game from the series has to have been licensed by Nintendo. Just look at Snake, Sonic and others in Brawl. If Nintendo published the game themselves, the likelihood increases exponentially!
SSB is generally about Nintendo's past and historical marks on gaming. Until Brawl came out and they inserted Snake and SONIC because all the fans were begging for them.
dqle said:
(By the way, wasn't Grass Town originally called Weed Town; referring to the file names!)
That has to do with translation. Grass and weed roughly mean about the same thing in japan, since the word there isn't used to describe drugs. Weed town just sounds silly to us, so grasstown it became.
dqle said:
As long as Mr. Amaya gets his share, I'll be glad to support the cause! The man deserves some compensation for working on a game by himself for five years!

Sadly enough, I think that by the time the money is figured, Pixel will get hardly anything. It's just the way it works.
Pixel did it not for money, but for gaming.
He COULD have taken the game somewhere and gotten it published, but nope. He gave it out for free.
Games are starting to become like mainstream music...since the generation after the N64. Games are becoming more and more about the money. Perhaps Indy games will increase in popularity as Indy music has.

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:54 AM
Hoxtilicious
I hate indy music :x
Anyway, I want to play as Sue.
AS SUE.

INSERT SUE.

D
O

I
T

N
O
A
W

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:13 AM
You hate indy music?
You surely don't mean independent music, you mean indy rock genre right?

Independent means you're your own label, no mainstream, and there's independent musicians for every genre. Alot of them give out their music for free, and make their money off of live shows.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:54 AM
Leix said:
SB is generally about Nintendo's past and historical marks on gaming. Until Brawl came out and they inserted Snake and SONIC because all the fans were begging for them.
That's why I mentioned Nintendo; If they publish it, the chances of Cave Story to appear are much better! Possible milestone could be "successful WiiWare game"...?

(By the way, Kojima begged for Snake, and we begged for Sonic. Hey, Kojima's a fan too!)

Leix said:
That has to do with translation. Grass and weed roughly mean about the same thing in japan, since the word there isn't used to describe drugs. Weed town just sounds silly to us, so grasstown it became.
Ah, silly translation issues... I was hoping for a town full of tripped-up Mimigas!

I agree that games nowadays are just about what can cash in the most. Regardless, even if Studio Pixel did if for the game and not for money, it's just plain wrong for one company to take the spoils from the original author. There has to be some kind of royalty or something... (besides, however little, Mr. Pixel deserves every penny we throw at him)

Man, he's too humble.

S. P. Gardebiter said:
I hate indy music :x
We'll all assume indy rock is the genre of hate for you, but how about indy music about indie games...?
The Indie Games Theme Song
Indie As F*** ***WARNING*** Cave Story Ripoff first 2:05!

j/k about The Underside; it's looking real nice now!

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:03 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to hear about this, but it's great news. This should get Cave Story some good recognition, and I can't wait to see what that additional content is going to be.

And yes, Cave Story characters in the next SSB would be awesome, doubt it'd happen, but still... I've thought this would be cool for a long time now, I actualy made an SSB fangame once and put Quote in it.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, sorry I haven't posted here in so long, I gave up on the CSRPG project before it started and haven't worked on my MOD in forever, so I haven't had much to talk about, plus I've been awful busy lately. :o

Oct 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Is this going to be in English or Japanese? I'm pretty sure AeonGenesis made the English translation so they would have to gain permission from AeonGenesis too right?