Cave Story Officially RELEASED for WiiWare

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:09 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
jcys810 said:
Is this going to be in English or Japanese? I'm pretty sure AeonGenesis made the English translation so they would have to gain permission from AeonGenesis too right?
..unless they translate the script themselves.

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:10 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Never thought of that, truthfully. :/

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:38 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
dqle said:
Hey, the only requirement to appear in SSB is that a game from the series has to have been licensed by Nintendo. Just look at Snake, Sonic and others in Brawl. If Nintendo published the game themselves, the likelihood increases exponentially!

Yeah, except for Pit, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, among others. I seriously doubt Quote will be in SSB, but hey, weirder things have happened(R.O.B.) Plus, if they do make Quote in SSB, he'll probably be just like Samus or R.O.B.
Although I would love to see Quote's signature stage be Hell, that would be awesome.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:53 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Lvl. 3 Blade said:
Yeah, except for Pit, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, among others. I seriously doubt Quote will be in SSB, but hey, weirder things have happened(R.O.B.) Plus, if they do make Quote in SSB, he'll probably be just like Samus or R.O.B.
Although I would love to see Quote's signature stage be Hell, that would be awesome.

To piss everyone off? :o

I think it'll probably be some crap like the plantation. I'd love to see Hell in all its glory, with instant kill spikes and everything.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:22 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
dqle said:
*sigh*

I'm surprised nobody here posted the official press release from Nintendo:
{http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=16456}

For those too lazy to read it, here's the description from the release:

And notice that Cave Story is a "Key software" title! It's nice to see that the game has recognition from a place like Nintendo.

It's scheduled for this coming holiday season (2008). Anybody wanna guess how many points it'll cost, if any?

Also, who's going to be the publisher...? If it's Nintendo, I sure hope that the cast will appear in the next SSB!

Quote would be the best character/candidate for BRAWL.

Seeing how he would have all his weapons and a kick ass Final Smash with him and Curly blowing the shit out of everything.

Or an other final smash you guys can think of.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:16 PM
jcys810 said:
Is this going to be in English or Japanese? I'm pretty sure AeonGenesis made the English translation so they would have to gain permission from AeonGenesis too right?
Don't know who's going to translate the game...

However, Studio Pixel on his Desk did state that the game is going to be out for the English audience, but did not state when the Japanese version will be out... (well at least the website)

And why do we all assume that Quote will be THE character from Cave Story in the next SSB? There's tons more to choose from, like Curly, King, Balrog...

Even if these guys don't make it as playable characters, they'd make one heck of a Smash Assist Trophy! Of course, who DOESN'T want to blast opponents away with Quote's massive arsenal?

Samus's Zero Laser? Psssh... Spur is where it's at!

Oh, and official website for Cave Story for the Wii: (as stated on Studio Pixel's official "Desk")
http://www.cavestorywii.com/

Can't wait until Monday! God, I love the Teaser... (I can't stop staring!)

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:21 PM
GearStrike said:
Quote would be the best character/candidate for BRAWL.

Seeing how he would have all his weapons and a kick ass Final Smash with him and Curly blowing the shit out of everything.

Or an other final smash you guys can think of.

Heavy Press. A bute flies in and hits him for 2% damage and grants temp. invincibility, then Heavy comes down and destroys everything.

Oct 4, 2008 at 10:45 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
i hope someone makes a mod for the PC version that adds in all the new content the wii version introduces...200$ (for a Wii, and then there's theP wiiware fees) to play a game i can play for free on the computer? Nah.

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When I read the IndieGames (Or whatever it was called, it probably was not that article at all. XD) article about Cave Story on WiiWare, the screenshot displayed was from the Beta Content section of the tribute site.

I am wondering if the exclusive content would be Cave Story's Beta Content, or something that has to do with the Beta.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:01 AM
Muuv Stehpah said:
I am wondering if the exclusive content would be Cave Story's Beta Content, or something that has to do with the Beta.
That would be nice, but I sure hope that isn't the only thing they've added...

Oh, and found out some more info, thanks to IndieGames.com! Whether it's reliable or not, I have no clue...
http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12898#

Some key points:
-Release date is early 2009?!
-Developer is Nicalis, which I've heard includes Nifflas, who created the awesome indie games "Within a Deep Forest" and the "Knytt" series. (still no Publisher!)
-ESRB rating is expected to be E, which means possible censoring...!
-New character designs, made by Studio Pixel himself! (phew!)
-More weapons and bosses!
-Still three endings...

Screenshots look pretty much the same as the PC version so far. However, there are videos out of gameplay of the alleged Wii version:
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14287155/vids_1.html

Thanks to the Doukutsu Community!

If these videos are to be trusted, I'm somewhat disappointed with the music...

[EDIT] Scratch the weapons and boss thing. It's possible the site is counting the base weapons AND its upgrades as the total weapon count. Also, I couldn't remember how many boss battles there were at the time, but after referring to the cast PBM, there's about that many in the PC version...

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:43 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
The videos seem to have a bit of Quote's cap cut off.

And they changed the fade animation to white.

And the sound is rather horrible. Like the text, and entering water. The Life Capsule Get music seems to have gone, too D:

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:20 PM
Awesome find, innocent.bystander!

On the down side, they haven't announced when the game will be released, or any hint of a timeline...

On the plus side, if us hardcore retro fans don't like the new "graphics" or "tunes", we can revert it all back to the glorious pixels and chiptunes that made Cave Store memorable!

And for you guys worried that the PC version will be affected, worry no more! Really can't say the same for other versions, though...

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM
As i said, i'll just wait until someone mods in the wii version's new content for the PC version. Why should i waste money for a wii and a copy of the game off wiiware when i can play it for free on the PC?

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:37 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Orange-Tentacle said:
As i said, i'll just wait until someone mods in the wii version's new content for the PC version. Why should i waste money for a wii and a copy of the game off wiiware when i can play it for free on the PC?
Because you worship Pixel like the rest of us and wish to support Pixel in whatever way you can.

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:27 AM
No, because i don't have 200$ to throw around for a wii. Stupid, STUPID being under the legal age for getting a job...CURSE THOSE WHO PASSED THE CHILD LABOR LAWS, CURSE THE LAWS THEMSELVES AND CURSE ME FOR NOT BEING IN A FACTORY FOR MINIMUM WAGE! (Hey, i'd get a wii pretty quickly even for minimum wage. after all, i don't have to worry about bills, gas or groceries quite yet.)

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
CBLuigi said:
... Either the site is going up at same time in different timezones, or I'm missing something here. D:
Haven't seen you in a while.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:48 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Remixed.

Moonsong.

Yus.