Cave Story NewGame+ v0.1

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Jul 7, 2011 at 6:39 AM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Forever wandering the tower...!
Posts: 1746
Okay, I started TSC scripting for the first time!
So, yes this is a newbie mod. :p

What you find here is simply a TSC modification of Cave Story. No real map editing, no hacks, no new graphics, music...
It's a TSC experiment to get a handle on the basics!

The mod is called :
(Cave Story) NewGame+

You know, like the New Game+, you find on certain RPGs.
Once you beat the game, you can start over unlocking new content, or something like that.


...And that's the general idea of this mod.

To create a version of Cave Story that gives you different options than was allowed in the original.

Example :
Did you ever wonder what would have happened if…

…you could have saved Sue from Igor in the first cutscene?
…Curly continued to think you were a Killer Robot?
…you had kept MALCO’s bomb and busted down the door with missiles?
…you could go to Last Cave before creating the rocket?
…King and Toroko could be saved…


...Not that any of that is currently implemented.
So far only from Start to the Graveyard is mostly complete so far. Content ends after Arthur’s House.


Issues :
Dialogue could use some work, and some events still need tweaking. But, this version 0.1 release gives you an idea of what I'm trying to do.

NOTE :
this is just a practice mod and my focus is on the Cloud Story mod. However, it will be a while before I release that...
So, I cannot say how far I might develop this practice mod.



Version 0.1 :
http://www.host-a.net/u/X-Calibar/CSNewGameplusv0.1.zip

More info in the readme.
 
Jul 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: Mar 9, 2011
Location:
Posts: 629
This sounds interesting. I'll play it, and try to give helpful feedback.
 
Jul 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM
LSD
"..."
Join Date: Jun 2, 2011
Location:
Posts: 397
Age: 21
I'm guessing you've played the DSi/Wii ware version?

Also, what CS said.
 
Jul 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: Dec 31, 2010
Location:
Posts: 560
You wouldnt need any beta testers would you.
 
Jul 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Senior Member
"Huzzah!"
Join Date: Feb 18, 2011
Location:
Posts: 210
you should continue this mod until you no longer want to continue it. that should be exactly right for learning basic TSC, and then when starting on your main mod youll learn things in the process.
ill download it
 
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: Mar 9, 2011
Location:
Posts: 629
Omega said:
You wouldnt need any beta testers would you.
There's already a demo released.
 
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: Dec 31, 2010
Location:
Posts: 560
I know but for future demos.
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:37 AM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Forever wandering the tower...!
Posts: 1746
Cave Story said:
This sounds interesting. I'll play it, and try to give helpful feedback.
Thanks! It's pretty short... It's about a week's worth of modding... I'm pretty slow at the cutscenes...

Actually, I think I'll post a youtube video for those who would rather just SEE it... since there isn't much gameplay difference from the original. Yet, anyways...

(btw, the readme has hints and a spoiler list of everything that has been changed.)

Pigaro said:
I'm guessing you've played the DSi/Wii ware version?

Also, what CS said.
I haven't played the Wii translation version... but, I have watched it on youtube lol. I just added Ohhh yeahh, as a spur of the moment thing.

[He smiles and says Ohhh yeahh if you die to him in battle] then it says
"You've been smashed by Balrog. Want to retry?"

Omega said:
You wouldnt need any beta testers would you.
Hmm... maybe. In future versions if I want people to try it before I release it, I'll remember to message people on the forums. [Although at this point it isn't that big of a deal...]

Voyce said:
you should continue this mod until you no longer want to continue it. that should be exactly right for learning basic TSC, and then when starting on your main mod youll learn things in the process.
ill download it
Well... getting cutscenes to look right takes me a while. I end up playing it over and over tweak, tweak, tweak... and if I do the whole game it certainly is going to take plenty of time. I think I have a good grasp on TSC now, and its limitations... I was going to maybe move on to hacking or something...

But, I'll keep you up to date! I might post more often on the blog though, if you want to keep up with what's happening at the moment.




Thanks everyone :pignon: And I welcome feedback, corrections, ideas...
Like what would be better than Balrog saying Ohhh yeahhh (which should irritate the player ... I mean you should be irritated! You lost to the first boss battle :p ... lol)
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 5:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
What you REALLY should do is make it so that the player can choose to fight Ballos at anytime in the game, and depending on when you do it, you get a different ending. That seems like it would be a fun mod.
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:07 AM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Forever wandering the tower...!
Posts: 1746
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
What you REALLY should do is make it so that the player can choose to fight Ballos at anytime in the game, and depending on when you do it, you get a different ending. That seems like it would be a fun mod.
Well, the trick would be how would you get to Ballos? Unless I create a new path to hell, you would need the booster 2.0 to survive the spike room. And you'd need to make it up to the Balcony, which is at the end of the game already... I could make it so you could blow out the floor early, and maybe bump into Curly before she is all banged up.

The Doctor would be alive still, and the place would not be crumbling... I wonder if Hell should be more peaceful then? Or are the wrathful angels always bouncing around... *amusing thought*
It certainly would be ... interesting if the Doctor and Ballos were to cross paths ...
I wonder if the seal room is even unsealed at that point in time?
Hmm....

... okay I don't see a Ballos battle happening any earlier than that UNLESS.

I pull a Chrono Trigger. Like how you can fight Lavos earlier than you should be able to. Maybe Ballos' magic will be at FULL STRENGTH if you fight him earlier.

I dunno how I can put it in plot though, at least in Chrono Trigger it makes sense if you are suicidal enough to want to go to the END DAY early. But, how do you get through Spike hell before getting Booster 2.0?
I guess I could make a hidden passage, like the one that Curly maybe uses...
(Or perhaps the floor turns into spikes as Curly makes her way down the shaft? As the place crumbles bad things happen...)
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
X-Calibar said:
Well, the trick would be how would you get to Ballos? Unless I create a new path to hell, you would need the booster 2.0 to survive the spike room. And you'd need to make it up to the Balcony, which is at the end of the game already... I could make it so you could blow out the floor early, and maybe bump into Curly before she is all banged up.

The Doctor would be alive still, and the place would not be crumbling... I wonder if Hell should be more peaceful then? Or are the wrathful angels always bouncing around... *amusing thought*
It certainly would be ... interesting if the Doctor and Ballos were to cross paths ...
I wonder if the seal room is even unsealed at that point in time?
Hmm....

... okay I don't see a Ballos battle happening any earlier than that UNLESS.

I pull a Chrono Trigger. Like how you can fight Lavos earlier than you should be able to. Maybe Ballos' magic will be at FULL STRENGTH if you fight him earlier.

I dunno how I can put it in plot though, at least in Chrono Trigger it makes sense if you are suicidal enough to want to go to the END DAY early. But, how do you get through Spike hell before getting Booster 2.0?
I guess I could make a hidden passage, like the one that Curly maybe uses...
Just put in a magical time traveling bucket.

Or add a slot to the teleporter or something. No need to add a tunnel or whatever.
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:18 AM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Forever wandering the tower...!
Posts: 1746
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Just put in a magical time traveling bucket.

Or add a slot to the teleporter or something. No need to add a tunnel or whatever.
The mod is *supposed* to be serious, although I did add some pretty random things... [it's just version 0.1...]

But, I DO like that idea.

Remember that teleporter that says...

Destination is Unknown...
Do you really wish to go? (YES/NO)

Maybe now it could have a really good use... lol
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:19 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3712
Age: 28
X-Calibar said:
The mod is *supposed* to be serious, although I did add some pretty random things... [it's just version 0.1...]

But, I DO like that idea.

Remember that teleporter that says...

Destination is Unknown...
Do you really wish to go? (YES/NO)

Maybe now it could have a really good use... lol
But you should put it in Arthur's house.

So that way you can get there early, and Arthur's house is practically the game's hub anyways.
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:37 AM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Forever wandering the tower...!
Posts: 1746
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
But you should put it in Arthur's house.

So that way you can get there early, and Arthur's house is practically the game's hub anyways.
Cater to the players of the mod and future fans?! Nonsense!

Actually you can access the Unknown Destination teleporter the moment you defeat Igor... [yeah if you go up that way...]

Sure it's not convenient, but if you are able to get the "Teleporter Room key..." Then you could link Arthur's House to the Plantation.
Then you can pretty much go any time.
(although maybe eventually I will change my mind, and just have all the places open at the beginning or something)

Maybe I could start a hell/hard mod next as practice... [to get experience with hacking]

Anyways, here's a playthrough youtube video of the current mod's "good route" :

Notable times : Goto the youtube page for links to all the times, instead of manually finding them
37s
1:17s
1:53s
2:42s
3:18s
3:55s
4:41s
5:32s
5:45s
6:25s
7:01s
7:30s
8:50s
10:51s
And here's the "Bad Route"

Notable times : Goto the youtube page for links to all the times, instead of manually finding them

0:14
0:49
1:42
2:14
4:10
5:14
5:44
6:18
6:47
7:22
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Join Date: Dec 31, 2010
Location:
Posts: 560
I Have an idea. How about we make the fireplace in the assembly hall the passage to hell early in the game as in:

If you try to get the bubbler was it and insist rather than dying you are warped to Hell. Or we can make that happen after grasstown if the player uses the jellyfish juice and gets the bubbler then if the fireplace is examined you are asked if you want to inspect it. If you do you are warped to hell.

edit: I found a glitch i think. I was playing the mod in THE assembly hall and i was going to the left to exit. But a program of mine went fullscreen and when i closed it since the mod wasnt highlighted quote just constantly went to the right and somehow got stuck between a pot and the wall.
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:59 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Join Date: May 28, 2011
Location: Australia/Scotland
Posts: 281
It's a great idea! Looks very cool - I am going to play it soon :D
 
Jul 9, 2011 at 2:43 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 4, 2008
Location: Lingerie, but also, like, fancy curtains
Posts: 3054
I endorse GIR's Idea.
It would be interesting knowing, say, that you could beat the game within five minutes from the start. That way, the parts of the game would be optional. You go to whatever places in order to get equipment or story, but for no other reason.

I'd say just have all slots of the teleporter unlocked to start the game, and then you'd just need to work out some scripting kinks.
 
Jul 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Join Date: Aug 9, 2010
Location: Greener Pastures
Posts: 1190
Age: 26
Jenka needs Jellyfish Juice in order to make the life pots. If you use it, just go get more juice and make another one. perhaps you shouldn't go too far ahead though. Going to Plantation early means shit tons of flag changes for the rest of the game. And new dialog. Then you'd have to make changes for if you go one another place or two first, then you'll need to build one around that. So, go slow. Cause other_wise you'll end up covering EVERY scenario.
 
Jul 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Jan 21, 2011
Location:
Posts: 249
*raises an eyebrow*

Remember, Chrono Trigger was not a platformer. Rules on what you can do, can't do, what's feasible and what's not, change when the game becomes a platformer.
 
Jul 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM
gigantic immortal dog...?
"That dog!"
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: Forever wandering the tower...!
Posts: 1746
Dubby said:
*raises an eyebrow*

Remember, Chrono Trigger was not a platformer. Rules on what you can do, can't do, what's feasible and what's not, change when the game becomes a platformer.
*raises you a second eyebrow*

... okay I don't see a Ballos battle happening any earlier than that UNLESS.

I pull a Chrono Trigger. Like how you can fight Lavos earlier than you should be able to. Maybe Ballos' magic will be at FULL STRENGTH if you fight him earlier.

I dunno how I can put it in plot though, at least in Chrono Trigger it makes sense if you are suicidal enough to want to go to the END DAY early. But, how do you get through Spike hell before getting Booster 2.0?
I guess I could make a hidden passage, like the one that Curly maybe uses...
I don't see how being a rpg or being a platformer has much to do with the feasiblity of fighting the last boss early. I remember beating Lavos before I was supposed to, and getting the debug secret area.
I don't see why you couldn't fight Ballos early if people are suicidal enough to do 3 hp runs...

Same concept, different gameplay.


As for news unrelated... I'm currently enjoying a vacation and b-day~!
 
Top