Cave Story meets Game Maker

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:35 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Honestly, Game Maker is one of the best game programming systems I have ever seen. and I keep telling myself "if only I could edit Cave Story with Game Maker". So I started trying to recreate the basic Cave Story Engine on Game Maker. If I can get it, mods will be simpler to make and extraordinarily flexible, sprites fill be fully customizable, and internet connection could be used. The key is getting the engine right.
I have a very basic demo made, simply Quote and a Polar Star that doesn't work. Please give feedback on the physics and if they match up to the actual Cave Story.

~The Download Link of Glory~

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:50 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
~ Moved ~
Well, do you use Game Maker 7? :D
The only real good version is 6.1 of course ;)

Oh, I see Game Maker 5 :D

I made a few examples a long time ago, with very crappy engines (who are by far my worst engines)

Nice little engine you got there, though it needs some work :D

http://filespace.org/ShInInG_PhAnToM/Examples.zip

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:56 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
The physics seem very accurate to me, the only really big problem I can see so far is that when you let go of a key in midair, Quote stops moving left/right and just falls down.

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:53 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It's almost perfect, except there's a slight graphical glitch from landing when still moving to the side in midair, and when hitting the underside of a platform.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Yeah, camera issues. But it is still awesome.

Do we get guns in the next version? :D

Dec 11, 2007 at 2:57 AM
Guy with Sword
Noting various glitches...

Well, do you use Game Maker 7? :D
The only real good version is 6.1 of course
Oh, I see Game Maker 5 :D
I use GM7, but prefer 6.1. I just use the latest for the few added features. (And I got it for free, so...)

I made a few examples a long time ago, with very crappy engines (who are by far my worst engines)
I'll look at them anyway. :p
EDIT: Not bad, the Cave Story Tilesets keep messing up on mine.

I also hope to have at least one working weapon on the next update.
Just as a note, who knows the exact sounds quote makes as he walks and jumps, so I can put them on ORG Maker?

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:32 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
The physics are good in there own right, but if you want it to be EXACTLY like cavestory, you're going to have to do a lot of work. Math calculations, learning exactly what numbers and functions Pixel used himself. If you were to make a platforming engine for modding by releasing this thing by itself, that would be lovely, but I wouldn't consider it to make mods of Cave Story until it is 90% Cave Story :D.

The camera needs to be modded a lot to fit the design of the original game, with the easing engine and all. And right now it doesn't have that floating feel that cave story has.

10/10 for the engine
7/10 if you're trying to recreate Cave Story's own engine.

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:39 AM
Guy with Sword
Yeah, Pixel put a lot into his engine. And it really paid off.
I'm hoping to get the basics down, and then with the wonder of editable GM files, I or anyone else who knows Cave Story better than I can tweak the physics to perfection. Speaking of which, I'll write up a list of variables and what they do to the physics, so people can edit it with ease.

Which also reminds me, if you know Game Maker, feel free to mess with the file all you want, I can merge any feature upgrade you guys make into my own version.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I love gamemaker. I code a little myself... dling

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:06 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Every time I come back here, there's something to dishearten me more. Honestly.

Oh, here. I accidentally discovered (and screenshotted) these while testing Agora's Legends.

You know. That complete rewrite I had already started making on July 3rd, 2007 and continue to work hard on though nobody seems to care much,
with the major goals of easily accessible programming moddability and online play added on top of as full support for the existing file formats as possible,
already featuring org playback, map tiles and npc.tbl support, tsc support, and so on.

I'd have a newer, fixed up, advanced beta out now, featuring the first enemy AI, damage system, and named objects (special effects and weapons mostly), but my website kinda exploded again... *sigh*

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Echidna-san said:
That complete rewrite I had already started making on July 3rd, 2007 and continue to work hard on though nobody seems to care much.

I'd have a newer, fixed up, advanced beta out now, featuring the first enemy AI, damage system, and named objects (special effects and weapons mostly), but my website kinda exploded again... *sigh*
No I am too lasy to jump between the two sites to find out what is going on, but you will find one helluva response when you finally release this with a link over here. :D
I hope your website gets better. *puts a bandage on your web server box*

Also the opportunity to create or play mods for the PSP is something that I have been wanting for a long time, and many people want the same for mac.

People always want to make better mods, this gives them the opportunity.

Also online play was very popular with the last release.

p.s. I like your kidd rad comic. :(

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:52 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
At the moment, only the First Cave enemies (including the posessed door) are complete. Everything after that is less so, Toroko, King, and Misery lacking cutscene animations, Balrog lacking boss AI, and so on...

I wanna get more of that done and hopefully have my website back before making another release, but am perfectly willing to give all I have now if pressed...

... You know, it's not really even about someone making something I'm already doing, because I know I'll do it way better anyway. I just have a lot going on in my life right now and it's a bit stressful, sorry for taking it here.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:32 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Echidna-san said:
I just have a lot going on in my life right now and it's a bit stressful, sorry for taking it here.

oh course those are important you should take care of those before doing this

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:06 PM
Guy with Sword
I'd love to see this remake of yours. Post it on filespace or something.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Echidna-san said:
At the moment, only the First Cave enemies (including the posessed door) are complete. Everything after that is less so, Toroko, King, and Misery lacking cutscene animations, Balrog lacking boss AI, and so on...
Good news. PSP mods here I come. :p

Echidna-san said:
I wanna get more of that done and hopefully have my website back before making another release, but am perfectly willing to give all I have now if pressed...
Take your time with it. Though it would be good to know what is going to be added before release.

Echidna-san said:
... You know, it's not really even about someone making something I'm already doing, because I know I'll do it way better anyway. I just have a lot going on in my life right now and it's a bit stressful, sorry for taking it here.
That's ok.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:16 AM
xristosx said:
oh course those are important you should take care of those before doing this
It's more of a nervous, anxious, terrible wait for certain horrid things to happen soon, to me, my family, and possibly the world at large. This January 25th will be the start of it for me...

I know little to nothing about compiling things for the PSP, but I'm making this using SDL at the moment... Care to fill me in?

I got Balrog's AI down, most of the cutscene animations for Toroko and Misery, still no HUD, no exp or weapon leveling, and keyboard assignments are static... Hmm...
What to work on next?

Sue and Igor still have no animations, S.P. still owes me the rest of the map headers and I would've made an exe for automatically generating them if I had the information, and internet co-op probably broke more in all the changes I made recently...

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Echidna-san said:
I know little to nothing about compiling things for the PSP, but I'm making this using SDL at the moment... Care to fill me in?
Sorry I can't.

Maybe Peter Mackay (aka. aaiiee) can help, he was the one who did the SDL port of cave story and has had experience programming for the PSP.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Bumping an old thread without due acknowledgement
Honestly, Game Maker is one of the best game programming systems I have ever seen. and I keep telling myself "if only I could edit Cave Story with Game Maker". So I started trying to recreate the basic Cave Story Engine on Game Maker. If I can get it, mods will be simpler to make and extraordinarily flexible, sprites fill be fully customizable, and internet connection could be used. The key is getting the engine right.
I have a very basic demo made, simply Quote and a Polar Star that doesn't work. Please give feedback on the physics and if they match up to the actual Cave Story.

~The Download Link of Glory~
the link is broken

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"