Cave Story Medley: Mario Paint Composer

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hello. I made an account for these forums a month or so ago, but I really didn't post that much, and instead just lurked around to see what was acceptable here and what wasn't. If I still make any mistakes or anything, point it out.

So, the reason I made this thread is because I apparently have something to say about doing a medley for Cave Story using Mario Paint Composer. (I'm a bit sarcastic at times, just warning the readers now.) :D

I thought of possibly doing this when I saw the medley by GermanSeaBass. He did a good job, and I wanted to try out something like that. Unfortunetly, I can't play the piano. :(
However, I can say I'm a little better than average right now at using the Paint Composer.

For that, I've decided I'm going to take up a project for Cave Story, in which I'm going to make a video. It will have all of the Cave Story orginal sound tracks, including "King's Theme" White in it, and once I'm done I'll record it and post it on Youtube.

Still, this is a big project though for just one person. I'm not asking for others to make any of the OSTs for it, but rather for just advice on which tools to use for the songs.

There are a few I already know I will have trouble with: Gestation, On to Grasstown, Geothermal, Scorching Back, the infamous Moonsong (I haven't even seen it be touched yet with Mario Paint Composer), Plantation, maybe Balcony, Last Battle, definetly Running Hell, maybe Toroko's Theme, and maybe White.

I've already tried doing Last Battle and Running Hell, but they're hard as, well, hell. *facepalm*
I've tried doing Moonsong, but it just isn't coming out right, and I have to keep on trying out different things and techniques for it.

So, as this Wall-O-Text finally comes to a halt, I just want to say a couple things. If anyone can advise me on which instuments and tools and techniques to use, I'll happily listen.
And finally, wish me luck.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:21 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I know nothing about how to use Mario Paint Composer, but I do wish you luck and hope other people know more than me!

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think you should check Youtube for a tutorial. There are tutorials on everything, I always look there if I need a guide. I wish you good luck!

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:05 PM
"Huzzah!"
Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to go check the tutorials right now. I'm stuck on Access, not that I don't have the rythm down because that's already finished including the background sounds, but I can't get it to make the right noise.
I tried using the Gameboy as the basic instrument, but it sounded too flat and boring so I tried using others with it, but it just doesn't sound the same. Access has an original sound that MPC has trouble making.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
good luck with this!

I've been using MPC for a while (I did Meltdown 2 in it) and my advice is experiment and don't try and make it exactly like the OST - remix it a bit, especially in medleys

look at other people's videos for inspiration and techniques

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
carrotlord said:
I know nothing about how to use Mario Paint Composer, but I do wish you luck and hope other people know more than me!

ya i agree i was thinking the same